Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2005 CBR600RR - Track Build

46K views 249 replies 33 participants last post by  mckain87 
#1 ·
I've been riding street for two seasons now and finally decided to get a dedicated track bike.
I've always been a fan of the CBR600RR, it was actually my first bike of choice until I came across the 750 I currently own.

After months of searching, I came across a deal that was too good to be pass on, picked up the same week:

The bike was very close to stock with the exception of Armour Bodies bodywork, Galfer SS lines and an Ohlins piston kit.
The previous owner gave me a receipt and apparently there's a Vortex Racing stay, but I think it's OEM, so I'm not sure.

Anyways, I really wasn't digging the colour so the next day I stripped the body work off and sent it for paint...

While the bodywork was off the bike, I ordered some track goodies...

-Full Yoshimura RS-5 Exhaust
-Vortex Rearsets
-Driven Sprockets with DID ERV3 Chain and Probolt sprocket nuts
-TechSpecs
-Canyon Dancer II and some heavy duty straps

That was the first batch any ways...
(more to come)

See less See more
#43 · (Edited)
:cursin:Hey this thread deserves more attention dammit!:cursin:

Great build, maybe people are just still in awe after you bombarded them with pics of the mods and progress from the get go. Definitely inspired by this build thread. Maybe in the future I would consider some of this hardcore modding but for now it's threads like these that I will watch during my coffee breaks. Keep it up. :banger:

#46 ·
^ Yes, I plan on getting the suspension dialed in properly.

A little bit of an update...
I ordered the Woodcraft 48 mm clipons, Woodcraft case sliders, R&G axle sliders, Puig DB screen, Pazzo shorty lever for the RCS and a rad guard.

Now, it's clear that I need the clip ons with 1" rise, because the standard clip ons won't clear the ram air covers, kind of disappointed in myself for not figuring that out in the first place. So I will have them exchanged...

Here are a couple of pictures:
Puig: Not digging the black half, but it will do...

Engine Covers:

Pazzo Lever:

R&G Axle Sliders:

Ohlins: Bike looks retarded with only one clip on, lol.

That's it for now, just have to get my clip ons exchanged... oh, how I hate the wait!

#48 ·
The only two downsides to stock clip-on's one is that you can't just replace the 'bar' if you crash and it bends/breaks. The other is that you don't have the adjustability (forward/backward) to your comfort level. However, you can get the desired adjustability if you grind down the 'locater pins' on the clip-on that go into the top triple.

So if that works for you then sell the woodcrafts and keep a few spare stock ones (left and right). They can be had for cheap.

Bike is looking good and it's going to be a loooonnggg winter!

#49 · (Edited)
Mak- You have been giving me lots of reasons to keep spending money and I truly appreciate it... LOL

I'll be exchanging my standard Woodcraft clip ons for the 1" rise and install them when I have the need.

As of right now, the bike is back in my garage and waiting for spring... It's going to be a long winter, indeed.

Re the PUIG screen, mine looks kind of milky and has a light blue tint to it, did anybody else experience this?
I called my supplier and he will exchange it for a Zero Gravity one, just curious... I thought PUIG was good stuff!?

#54 · (Edited)
Modification list to date:

1. Ohlins Piston Kit
2. Ohlins Steering Damper
3. Elka Stage 4 Shock
4. Brembo 19RCS with Brembo Res. & ladybird bracket
5. ASV Clutch Lever
6. Full Yoshimura Exhaust
7. PCV (Still need a custom map)
8. Vortex Sliders -> Swapped to Woodcrafts
9. Vortex Racing Stay
10. Vortex Rearsets
11. Spiegler SS Lines (F/R)
12. Renthal Dual Compound Grips
13. Driven -1/+2 Sprockets with DID ERV3 Chain + Black Probolt Sprocket Nuts
14. Rear Reservoir Delete
15. Painted track fairings (Red/Black)
16. Woodcraft case covers
17. PUIG double bubble windscreen
18. Rad Guard
19. Pazzo Replacement lever for the Brembo RCS
20. Powder Coated Swingarm in Black
21. Powder Coated Wheels in White
22. White Decal Kit
23. TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Grips & Center Pad

#58 ·
Modification list to date:

1. Ohlins Piston Kit
2. Ohlins Steering Damper
3. Elka Stage 4 Shock
4. Brembo 19RCS with Brembo Res. & ladybird bracket
5. ASV Clutch Lever
6. Full Yoshimura Exhaust
7. PCV (Still need a custom map)
8. Vortex Sliders -> Swapped to Woodcrafts
9. Vortex Racing Stay
10. Vortex Rearsets
11. Spiegler SS Lines (F/R)
12. Renthal Dual Compound Grips
13. Driven -1/+2 Sprockets with DID ERV3 Chain + Black Probolt Sprocket Nuts
14. Rear Reservoir Delete
15. Painted track fairings (Red/Black)
16. Woodcraft case covers
17. PUIG double bubble windscreen
18. Rad Guard
19. Pazzo Replacement lever for the Brembo RCS
20. Powder Coated Swingarm in Black
21. Powder Coated Wheels in White
22. White Decal Kit
You forgot the Techspecs....:spank:

#57 ·
Thanks man.
Yeah, it's going to be a long winter.
Can't wait to get it out there and see how well I can ride. lol

Bike has come a long way. Great to see progress like this finally get completed. I didn't see where you got your decals from? Downat70.com makes awesome OEM decals and aftermarket ones as well. I got two sets of his on two of my bikes and they are awesome because you can pick whatever colors you want.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks John, the previous owner gave me some left over decals he had and he ordered them from xtremedecals.com so I just ordered mine from the same place.

#56 ·
Bike has come a long way. Great to see progress like this finally get completed. I didn't see where you got your decals from? Downat70.com makes awesome OEM decals and aftermarket ones as well. I got two sets of his on two of my bikes and they are awesome because you can pick whatever colors you want.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

#66 ·
^ I'm not muslim but eid mubarak anyways lol...

Got my numbers made and installed on the bike, finally complete.

Interesting number choice, looking for 3 consecutive championships are we?

What tyres are you planning on running?

#70 ·
^ lol... Yes, yes.. I plan on winning every track day!!!
It's not about being #1, it's about what it means to me.
I couldn't put 4 digits so instead of 1111 I went with 111.

As far as tires go, I'm running the Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa SP's.
Would have loved to get me some BT003 Pro's but I don't mind trying the Pirellis out, we'll see.
If you can get them, give the Dunlop D211GPA a shot as well. Some say it's their favorite track tire.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/1...sQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEUqV6-MioQt5IwHvknwMttJNSlvg

#73 ·
Not to sound like a Pirelli fanboi but they do offer 'trackday slicks' which do not require warmers and last a little longer than their racing slicks.

Also, I want to give the GPA's a chance if budget allows this year. Heard tons of good things about them as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.