Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Fastest Time Through Deals Gap?

20K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  tary preisser 
#1 ·
318 Turns in 11 Miles.. but just a little over 9 Miles to the Overlook:

LEGEND: The record time for riding the Dragon is nine minutes.
True to some extent. There are riders past and present who can run the Dragon from the Overlook to the Crossroad of Time (9.3 miles) in nine minutes and change. These riders have been riding the Dragon for more than 10 years and know every nuance of the road. This was the original timed section for records back in the 1990s when Deals Gap Riding Society was formed. To be official one had to make the run from the Overlook to the Crossroads, turn around, and return to the Overlook. The total time was divided by 2. WARNING !!!! DO NOT TRY TO SET A NEW RECORD ON THE DRAGON ---- SERIOUS INJURY WILL RESULT AND YOU WILL NEVER BE THE FASTEST RIDER THERE ANYWAY.

:D :D :D

#5 ·
2. WARNING !!!! DO NOT TRY TO SET A NEW RECORD ON THE DRAGON ---- SERIOUS INJURY WILL RESULT AND YOU WILL NEVER BE THE FASTEST RIDER THERE ANYWAY.
I agree. Trying to make a record time at the Dragon is just asking to eat ****. A lot of people die there year in and year out. And as many bikers as there are that go there...there are also quite a few cages that go there to drive and go over...WAY over the center lines...SPLAT!

#6 ·
I like to go to the Dragon on Weekdays when it isn't so crowded.

MYTH: Riders die every week at the Dragon.
We have kept an accurate count of the deaths on the Dragon since 1995. The total count is 12., for an average a little better than 1.3 deaths a year. That is too many, but compared to the number of riders who come each year it is very low. We know of no deaths in cars or trucks

#7 ·
Not talking about deaths in cars and trucks, talking about deaths by cars and trucks. I heard a story about some car who had to turn around, pulled a U turn in the exit of a turn, and some dude with a chick on the back came around hit the hood of the car, and one of them died (can't remember which one)

#8 ·
Meddiepie

Your Right >> Cagers do make the place scary at times. Thats why I prefer to go to the Gap on Weekdays only or in the off season when the weather is good!

Scariest crap I see is when other bikers or cars come over into my lane. That happens every time I ride through the gap.

I still Love that place!! :lol2:

#12 ·
TWT is going to have a spot on the tail... Looking forward to watching that! Going to run it next summer. What is resonable? 18 minutes?

#17 ·
We ran the gap last summer during the week several times...I forget what times the kid did but it was under 11:00 minutes, and that was to the store at the bottom. It helps to have a racing background if you are serious about running it...and mid mornings during the week are the best time to do it and really enjoy it. It is a great road, and I grew up just 25 miles away.

#18 ·
Meddiepie954rr said:
2. WARNING !!!! DO NOT TRY TO SET A NEW RECORD ON THE DRAGON ---- SERIOUS INJURY WILL RESULT AND YOU WILL NEVER BE THE FASTEST RIDER THERE ANYWAY.
I agree. Trying to make a record time at the Dragon is just asking to eat s**t. A lot of people die there year in and year out. And as many bikers as there are that go there...there are also quite a few cages that go there to drive and go over...WAY over the center lines...SPLAT!
Not to mention an F-250 pulling a 10 ft trailer............ That sucked. :evil:

#19 ·
318 Turns in 11 Miles.. but just a little over 9 Miles to the Overlook:

LEGEND: The record time for riding the Dragon is nine minutes.
True to some extent. There are riders past and present who can run the Dragon from the Overlook to the Crossroad of Time (9.3 miles) in nine minutes and change. These riders have been riding the Dragon for more than 10 years and know every nuance of the road. This was the original timed section for records back in the 1990s when Deals Gap Riding Society was formed. To be official one had to make the run from the Overlook to the Crossroads, turn around, and return to the Overlook. The total time was divided by 2. WARNING !!!! DO NOT TRY TO SET A NEW RECORD ON THE DRAGON ---- SERIOUS INJURY WILL RESULT AND YOU WILL NEVER BE THE FASTEST RIDER THERE ANYWAY.

:D :D :D

Ok, I have never been on any page about the tail of the dragon before. I've only heard about the tail through friends who have ridden it. I've wanted to go for 20years and something always intervened until this year. August 30th, 2021 i finally got my chance. I didn't even know people tried to time themselves and I also didn't know there was a record until I did it the 1st time. I went down, telling myself I was gonna take it easy and just enjoy the sites, but after I started, I got so pumped, so enthused, so excited, that I ended up balls to the wall without even realizing it until I got to the end. I did start a timer on my phone bc I wanted to see how fast I did it the first time and how much faster I could do it coming back after I familiarized myself with the road. Well, that plan got botched bc I ended up doing it in 9 min and 16 seconds on the way down. I had to pull over and gather myself bc I was so high off adrenaline. It WAS THE MOST AWESOME EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE!!!! So exhilarating. I had to take 15 min just to calm down. I passed a guy on a Honda accord in a curve I'm guessing about halfway through and he pulled up beside me at the end (awhile later lol) and got out to shake my hand bc he's been up and down this road many many times tuning and adjusting his car. He said he's never seen anyone ride like I did in his life. I passed him in a curve at 80mph+ bc he said he was going 60mph and I passed and left him like he was sitting still. He gave me a beer lol. And yes, it was good lol. I showed him my time on my phone and he was speechless bc I had already told him it was just my 1st time ever riding this road. I felt proud. Anyway, I decided I was gonna just chill otw back and enjoy the sites, but as soon as I started, that awesome adrenaline fueled feeling swept over me again and I just went. I wish I would have timed myself again but I didn't this time, and I honestly think I beat my time by at least 2 minutes going back (according to my clock when I departed and when I arrived back) but I'm not 100% sure, but I'm at least 85% sure. **** it was AWESOME!!!! Anyway, when I get back, I sign my name on the wall of the building and I buy souvenirs. I'm looking at all the shirts and they most say "I survived" the tail...I didn't want a survival shirt..I asked the lady if they had any shirts that said "I made the tail my bitch" and she she laughed and said we should!!! But unfortunately we don't...I was was kinda bummed. Then she asked me why and I told her what I did, what the Honda dude said and she thought I was lying. Then, (the riding gods were with me apparently) the Honda dude happened to walk in, saw me and began to tell me something else and he solidified with the counter lady what I had done, told her he saw my timer on my phone and how I had passed him and how he tried to follow me back and I was gone before he even could get started...he told me it took him 13min on his car to get back and I had already been in the shop looking for shirts about 10 min before he even walked in. Anyway, I've been riding bikes my whole life, used to dabble in street bike racing a few years ago. I'm 40yrs old and there's very few people that can outside me. I'm definitely not the best, but I know I'm still damn good. Anyway, I felt like I was on top of the world. Then I start looking up the fastest times for the tail and find out my 1st time was at record speed. I did not try to beat any records bc I didn't know there was any, I just went at my comfortable, fun speed and just enjoyed myself. Now I wanna go back and record another run and **** that 9min record up bc I know I can do it faster than that. I can see where people could get hurt and why people shouldn't try to beat any records. That is pretty obvious....but I'm not normal people and I wanna take that top spot in time. Call me crazy, stupid, an idiot with a death wish, I don't care. You don't have to do it, but I do and to each is own. I'm not afraid of anything and your opinion is irrelevant just like my opinion is to you. I just wanna wish anyone who rides the tail, the best of luck and I hope everyone enjoys it thoroughly as much as I have. But I'm definitely going back with a few cameras mounted and ill upload the videos because now my goal in life is to prove how I made the tail of the dragon my bitch....and yes, I will have tee-shirt designed to portray that feat. ...oh, btw, I was on my girlfriend's black and pink 2008 gsxr600 with aftermarket exhaust and Michelin rs tires. Everything else completely stock. I know this is a Honda forum but I had a cbr1000rr last year and the cops wrecked me thinking I was someone running from the police that was engaged in a chase....I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They impounded my bike and sold it at auction before I got out of the hospital. **** the police! Anyway, I'm seriously looking for a new r1m bc my buddy has one and it DOMINATES....Honda don't stand a chance against that beast of a machine....but ill always love my Honda cbr.... yall be safe out there. Much love to biker fam 👊👊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.