Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How-To Video: 600RR LCD Blackout

16K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  Shanep003 
#1 ·
Hey guys, here's a video I made for blacking out (polarizing) the LCD display. It was the first time I had the dash unit apart, so some steps of the process didn't go as smoothly as I would have wanted, but I think the video turned out pretty well none the less. Anyway, hope the video helps you out if you're thinking of doing this mod.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the positive responses guys. I was thinking of changing the white LEDs on the tachometer to red, because the white is a little too bright and it's distracting. If there's enough interest, I can do another video for PROPERLY desoldering and soldering new LEDs onto the board. Let me know if that's something you would like to see.

#15 ·
I'm planning on making videos for most of my mods. The ones that are more complicated than just bolting something on anyway, so stay tuned. So far I have about $3k worth of mods I want to put on the bike... dammit, I'm going to go broke, lol.

#17 ·
Hey, sorry I've been kind of lagging with the LED video. I've just been really busy and haven't gotten around to swapping out the LEDs again yet. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend.

I ordered my LEDs from http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2, but you can get them from ebay as well, just make sure they have the PLCC-2 footprint, otherwise they wont line up with the contact pads properly.

#23 ·
By footprint I mean the actual physical dimensions of the LED. Not all surface mount LEDs are the same. They can vary quite significantly in size and shape. PLCC-2 is a specific size surface mount LED. That's what you need in order for the contact pads on the LED to line up with the contact pads on the circuit board itself. If you want to get your LEDs on eBay, just search for "PLCC-2 LEDs" and you'll get a ton of results.

That looks great in the dark. How do those LCD's look in sunlight?
The LEDs are actually a little brighter than the stock ones IMO. But just like with the stock LEDs you're not going to see them in sunlight. It'll just look like there's no backlight on your LCD display when looking at it in the sunlight. It's still just as readable after the polarization though.

#25 ·
Ok guys, for those that are waiting for the LED change video, I'm sorry to say there won't be one. I started doing the mod and recording the video at home, but I didn't have any soldering iron tips that were small enough for the job. I ended up doing the mod at work, like last time, because I have a surface mount soldering station and reflow oven there. You really need a FINE soldering iron tip for this job, otherwise there's a good chance you'll melt the plastic housing on the LEDs. If you do that they can still work, but I'm super anal and that wasn't cutting it for me.

This isn't a mod I would recommend for someone with no soldering experience anyway. And if you do know how to solder, well chances are you won't need an instructional video.

#29 ·
If you're going to be doing at least 2 different colors then 10 of each color will be enough and you'll have some extras too, just in case you mess up somewhere. If you're going to do them all in one color, I would suggest getting 15 just so you have some extras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.