Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How to paint your subframe, disassebly

25K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  philupondes 
#1 ·
This should help anyone that is trying to paint the subframe on or off the bike, also applies to removing for powder coating.

Here are the steps:
1. remove both seats.
2. remove the 4 allen bolts that hold on the rear tail fairing
3. remove the rear seat lock and helmet hooks, it is held on by 4 10mm bolts.
4. remove mid fairings, aka the boomerang ones:
to do this start at the front of the bike under the nose there are 4 pressue screws, unscrew them and pull them out, kind of look like mini dry wall anchors. there is also a pull pin that locks the fairing together right above the turn signal on the inside. next remove the 3 allen bolts that are on the boomerang fairing. starting at the back of the boomerang pull away from the bike. The fairing will unclip, however where it meets the gas tank there are 2 plastic clips, per side, kind of an under-over over-under thing. lift up on the mid fairing and down on the gas tank cover and it should pop off. continue by unclpping your turn signal harness and set the boomerange to the side.
5. remove the gas tank cover and thigh fairings:
there are 5 bolts for this step and 2 more of those pressure screws. Under the driver's seat in the center by the gastank is an allen, 1 on eash side by the spot where the mid fairing meets the tank, and 1 on each side of the thigh fairing. The pressure screw is under the seat screwed into the battery tray. there are 2 locking pins up by the front where the gas tank cover meets another plastic trim piece.
6: Remove the battery, simply loosen the terminals and store in a nice place.
7. remove the throtle servo, there are 2 10mm bolts that hold it's cover into the battery tray, it is towards the rear of the bike, once the bolts are removed the cover will fall off the underside of the black battery tray. remove the harness from the servo and rest it on your rear hugger. there is also a clip holding the 2 parts of the throttle cable to the battery tray.
8. lift all wiring out of the battery tray. the fuse panel, flasher relay and other relays just pull straight up and just rest them to the side. don't disconnect anything!
9. Time to remove your right side rearsets. also remove your passenger pegs if you havn't already. once the rear sets are removed, remove the plastic exhaust cover shield. Then remove the exhaust heat shield.
10. Remove your exhaust: loosen the clamp at the lower part of your slip on, and remove the exhaust strap that hold it at the rear of the bike, remove the 13mm nut first, then the long allen bolt. Slowly twist your exhaust and shake it to remove it. set it aside
11. take a beer break.
12. time to loosen the battery tray. At the front where it meets the gas tank there is an allen screw and 2 of those pressure screws, i removed the allen screw, but had a crazy time getting to the pressure screws (drywall anchor things), so i grabbed them with a channel locks and destroyed them, i decided not to put those back on. to get them correctly looked like to had to remove the gas tank. i didn't want to, it all went back together tightly anyways. two plastic screws wont make a difference.
13: On the lower side of the battery tray, right above ther slip-on's lower clamp are 2 10mm bolts, loosen them, there are 2 on each side of the bike.
14. starting at the rear of the bike, lift the battery tray over the rear seat retaining clips and the rear seat lock post things, continue lifting, should pull almost straight up to 90 degrees, slide it back and out of the bike.
15. I moved all of my wiring down through the subframe and rested it on the rear hugger, all bound up with rubber bands to keep it organized.

these next steps are for painting while on the bike:

16. clean your subframe with 409 or other cleaning agent, try to remove as much dirt and grime as possible, once cleaned i wiped the entire thing down with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils from my hands.
17. Mast off the entire bike from the handle bars back. the more tape the better, i used newspaper and painters tape.

18. paint the subframe, i used high heat black BBQ paint, its heavy duty stuff, used a few coats. let it dry for a few hours, or read drying instructions on the rattle can

19. reassemble is the revers of these steps hope that this helps. if you search the forum for subframe there are tons of links with pics, just use those pics with this walk through and you'll be fine, take your time.

ps. i am not responsible if you mess up your bike while following this, be very careful with those wires, they are not very thick gauges.

See less See more
#29 ·
Buy an extension magnet and you will be fine.. Get it started and then reverse the process,, once it's locked in your golden.. T

#35 ·
great thread...

#36 ·
yo can someone with experience get on this? I wana mark this as a save for next fall to do but its pretty sparse as is (thread = worthless with out pics) And I would be removing mine for powdercoating so these last few threads about getting to this magic 14mm bolt & getting her back on well.. lets just say I don't wana carry a pile of parts to my dealership and say I couldn't figure it out on my own...

#37 ·
The secret is an impact wrench.. If you have one you can take the bolt off without holding the nut on the front inside of the subframe. If you don't have one buy one and take it back when you get done with the job.

#39 · (Edited)
step 12 is a biotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't get to that bolt that is right by the tank there... any suggestions?!?!?!

never mind, i got it... took a while though :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.