Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Rear seat cowl...which is a better fit?

15K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  G.LOW 
#1 ·
I'm looking into a rear seat cowl for my '12, and I've been told by some that Targa may fit better than OEM. OEM should offer the best fitment no?

Just wanted to get some thoughts or opinions from those of you who have already experienced. Any advice will be appreciated.

#8 ·
I went for a contrasting colour (maybe not too everyone's taste). Because of that colour match wasn't an issue, so I went for a cheapie. Cost 21 GBP, about 33 USD delivered from China.

Fitment is fine on it. Maybe cheaper to get one and spray it, unless a second hand OEM turns up.

#20 · (Edited)
I went for a contrasting colour (maybe not too everyone's taste). Because of that colour match wasn't an issue, so I went for a cheapie. Cost 21 GBP, about 33 USD delivered from China.
I did the same re. contrasting color, but got a new seat cover from Luimoto ( http://www.luimoto.com/ ). Not everybody likes them, but the OEM black seat looks terrible and the OEM cowl is really a rip-off; the Luimoto cover gives it a better look while keeping the possibility of taking a passenger, not that I ever do, but just in case. You just remove the old black cover and staple on the new one (or right over it). The quality is excellent. My only mistake was getting white because it gets dirty fast.

I had an OEM cowl for my '06 and it flew off once - I had to catch it behind me when I luckily felt it there. Crappy phone pic below, but you get the idea...

#19 ·
#24 ·
OEM fits like a gem. It comes with an insert on how the adjust the mounting for a perfect fit.
Mine was great straight out of the box.

I will take an OEM accessory over an aftermarket copy everytime if given a choice.

#26 · (Edited)
My OEM cowl arrived today. Can't wait to test fit when I get home. I have no doubt that it will fit perfectly. As MikeyP stated, comes with a very detailed insert on how to adjust.
Installed it this morning. Requires two washers (4 included with cowl) on the rear screws but fit perfectly after that. Color matched perfectly, but that's not saying much since it's just black.

#25 ·
perfect fit straight out the box. Anyone that tells you oem isn't the best fitment or color match, must be color blind or need new glasses. Bottom line is if you have the money to spend then always get the oem but if you are tight on cash, then look for alternatives.

#32 ·
my oem cowl fits perfect and colour is 100% identical,got it off ebay for about £50 i think
before getting it i ordered a £20 chinese red one from ebay but colour match was a mile off,looked terrible,fitment was fine but not colour,if you were needing a white or black then probably youd be ok with a cheapie but for guarenteed colour match theres only one way to go,oem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.