Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

gp reverse shift better?

6K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  fallingbomb 
#1 ·
just got new rear sets decided to try out the reverse shift ..how is the reverse shift better than stock shift on track ..what pros and cons
thank you

#3 ·
one of the main advantages is it allows you to up shift with out moving your foot... so if your leaning coming around a long swooping turn you dont have to over rev the bike or try and move your foot under the sifter to up shift.

#5 ·
preference if you ask me......I ride GP on the race bike & standard on the street. sometymes it gets confusing. Best is to try yourself & see what you like. I do like bangin up gears goin down tho!

#6 ·
Once you go RSP you´ll never go back!! Actually I don´t know why the bikes leave the factory with the normal shift pattern..Heck now that I have RSP I can´t even think about riding normal pattern.... I bought an Aprilia RS 250 with normal shift pattern and the ride home was far away like 50Miles...Jeeez it was confusing for my brain

Check out this video!

#11 ·
Once you go RSP you´ll never go back!! Actually I don´t know why the bikes leave the factory with the normal shift pattern..Heck now that I have RSP I can´t even think about riding normal pattern.... I bought an Aprilia RS 250 with normal shift pattern and the ride home was far away like 50Miles...Jeeez it was confusing for my brain

Check out this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvULXFL-KPc
so ******* fast is sick

#7 ·
preference if you ask me......I ride GP on the race bike & standard on the street. sometymes it gets confusing. Best is to try yourself & see what you like. I do like bangin up gears goin down tho!
Wow bro hats off to you!! Last time I rode a bike with normal pattern my brain was going crazy! For me it was much easier to go from normal pattern to Reverse Shift Pattern....!!

#17 ·
^^ you get into the gear you want to be in with no interruptions in between.

#22 ·
+1 for it being personal preference, but I cannot figure out why anyone would have standard as their personal preference! lol

Not many cons, other than getting mixed up.

Pros:
1.) It makes so much sense when you're riding!
2.) You never downshift when you're leaned over, but you do upshift while leaned over. Now you don't have to try to move your foot and get it UNDER the lever in order to shift.
3.) on high speed straights you can stay in a full tuck and use the least amount of effort to upshift.
4.) Downshifts occur when you're sitting up typically anyway, so it's easy to get your foot under the lever to downshift.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm still sleepy :)

#31 ·
Gonna play devil's advocate here for an explanation why GP shift is not standard and standard shift is, well, standard. Most are taught and it's enshrined in MSF instruction to do all your shifting and braking before turning. Also taught in emergency stopping to do the same things with both hands and feet. Pull in on both hand levers and tapping down on both foot levers. For general purpose motorcycle riding this is all very logical. There are more occasions for fast downshifting than upshifting. It's only racers or performance oriented riders who would want to upshift while mid corner. In other riding you would enter a corner in a gear appropriate to see you all the way through and there's plenty of time to upshift when you're back mostly upright. It would make sense though for regular track riders and racers to run GP shift on the street as it facilitates one mode of muscle memory.
Two awesome replies from a track and dirt perspective.

#32 ·
I did it for my bike.. Took me about a day to get use to it but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

I also have a video on my youtube channel on how to do this with stock sets
I'll most likely try it w my new Vortex sets

#25 ·
This is true. Ha. I've seen it on my buddy's 07 . And looks like ya all Jerry riged!

I'll be looking forward to the gp shift this coming season via my vortex sets.

#26 ·
Gonna play devil's advocate here for an explanation why GP shift is not standard and standard shift is, well, standard. Most are taught and it's enshrined in MSF instruction to do all your shifting and braking before turning. Also taught in emergency stopping to do the same things with both hands and feet. Pull in on both hand levers and tapping down on both foot levers. For general purpose motorcycle riding this is all very logical. There are more occasions for fast downshifting than upshifting. It's only racers or performance oriented riders who would want to upshift while mid corner. In other riding you would enter a corner in a gear appropriate to see you all the way through and there's plenty of time to upshift when you're back mostly upright. It would make sense though for regular track riders and racers to run GP shift on the street as it facilitates one mode of muscle memory.

#28 · (Edited)
The other reason for standard is us motocross guys. When we come into a corner we are all slid up on the seat and its a violent downshift into the corner. In that position it would be very hard to get your toe under the shifter. The opposite is true out of the gate or a corner, leaned forward with tbe butt back on the seat to keep the front wheel down. In that position (using GP) your whole foot would be on top the shifter intstead of using the peg as a pivot point. Its hard to explain unless you ride dirt but I dont race street so I just keep all my bikes standard.

#30 ·
I have GP shifting on my bike. My only big issue is right hand turns where you have to downshift before the turn. For example turn 2 at Streets of Willow in California. I find that I'm already moved to the right with half if my ass off the seat, and the bike is leaned over a bit but not too much yet. Now given the above body position, it is impossible for me to reach under the shifter with my left foot. And I have to move back to the middle of the seat just to down shift and move again to the right of the seat to get ready for the right turn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.