» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Track Talk > Trackdays

Trackdays Privateers and Professionals

Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
RRboi
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First trackday/ school

Hey guys, just got back from my first time on a track. Its a new track school thats just opened over here in the UK< today was their first event.

It was at Blyton Park near Gainsborough. Only a fairly small track, but only been open a year so the surface is good.

Didn;t get off to a good start, was raining all the way their (I rode the bike their).

Anyways, got on track, there were 3 riders to a instructor, with a maximum of 9 on the track at any time. Also had rules about where to overtake, so you wasn't looking around and worried about someone shooting up the inside of you.

Started out wet, but dried out gradually throughout the day.

We practiced staying in one gear (I chose second), and not using your breaks, and turning in late. Just engine braking and getting the throttle on early, and rolling it on smoothly throughout the turn. I was perfect at this and got it spot on. It felt so good and right. everything was smooth, yet still fast.

Next session was about braking, see where you could brake the latest and hardest. I found that I'd break heavily but then be straight into the turn, so I couldn't get the throttle on early to give a nice rolling action. I also felt a bit uneasy and didn't have much confidence in the brakes as I should have. I was still using the rear brake slightly, and kept thinking it would lock up.

Next was about gearing, going through the gear. I'd currently just been staying in second. It would be revving like crazy, but I'd not let it go into the red line zone. I started to move up and down the ear box, it felt a lot smother to be in third in some bits.

Again I was braking late and not been able to get on the gas early for a control smooth motion throughout the turn. I'd also been leaning well over, but had kept my bum on the seat. So for my final session (putting it all together session), I wanted to get half my bum out and off the seat, and brake a bit early; which would give me time to get back on the throttle just before I went into the corner.

The last session came, and we had a nice dry track. Did a warm up lap or two, and off I went. Got my bum to the side and chucked it in, I'd brake heavily but gave myself time to get back on the has and roll it on smoothly. The bike and I just floated through the circuit. It felt amazing. I just got quicker and quicker, left everyone else behind me. I;d shift up to third and back down again, but second and third was all I needed.

It was so much fun, I just never wanted to come in. I enjoyed every second of today. I knew it was going to be fun, but being able to use my bike as I'd never used it before was incredible. what a machine our CBRs are! There just so quick, smooth, steady and easy to ride. I could just chuck them into the corners and I'd have so much confidence.

The best day I've had in my entire life! I'd recommended everyone to do a trackday, even people that don't own a sportsbike. We had plenty of sports tourers, you'll be surprised how far those things will go over. Two guys took a chunk out of their boots toe end sliders.

There is so much I can take and transfer into street riding, but just having the confidence in the bike is so good. I know to brake early (can be hard braking too), then get back on the throttle and roll in on smoothly and the bike will just lean and lean.

Sorry for the length, I'm still buzzing now! Booking my next tackdays for Cadwell and Donnignton for next month. I start Royal Marines training in July so gotta get them done before then!

RRboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
darkfader
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
congrats on your first day, and welcome to the addiction.

2003 600RR for the track
2004 600RR for the street SOLD

R.I.P. Phatstud
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, LIKE MY RACING PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/Company21Racing
MY TRACKBIKE THREAD: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...357&highlight=
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@STG View Post
oh it gets worse...... most of the other pics are even less professional...
darkfader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

awesome man, pity about the weather today tho, rain sucks, I had to ride my gfs bike today for the MOT & I was sliding about everywhere, (note - buses are dicks for spilling their crap all over the road).

But good on you for sticking with it, you'll be a better/safer rider for it. The school was a good option when their set-up was like that, like you said, no worries of some gp wannabe charging down your inside. I guess you had no problems with your exhaust?

next month you'll love donny, its a great track. and cadwell is very tight & technical, remember to pack your balls of steel that day, believe me when I say, the mountain is much steeper in real life

as darkfader said, welcome to the addiction
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Fly_Killer
AMA Supersport Racer

I can actually feel your excitement reading this - I'll have to try it sometimes
Do what you like, like what you do. LIFE IS GOOD
Fly_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
N_Sandhu
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you had a great day! You took your first hit, wont be long till you are a trackhead

Matte Black & Gold 03 600RR
  • Two Brothers Slip-On
  • VOLT HID Headlights 5000K
  • HID Low Beam Kill Switch
  • Integrated Taillight
  • Flushmount Signals
  • OES Frame Sliders
  • Gold Shorty Levers
  • Gold Reflective Time Attack
  • Solo Cowl
  • Dark Smoke Windscreen
My ReBuild Thread
N_Sandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
Knightshade
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Killer View Post
I can actually feel your excitement reading this - I'll have to try it sometimes
no kidding right?

I think it was this, which summed it all up.

Sorry for the length, I'm still buzzing now!

Welcome to the addiction. Your life will NEVER be the same.

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
Knightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement