07 Is tripping out hardcore. : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
817aaron
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 Is tripping out hardcore.

Okay so I know that isn't a very good description of what is going on, but I legitimately don't know how to describe it. Which is why I am going to give a little background then attach videos I took riiiiiiiiiight now...

So today my buddies and I decided to go out for a ride. My bike (2007 CBR600RR) has been sitting since last weekend, but I rode it all weekend then and it was fine. It has been cold here, but not crazy cold. Mid-40s all week. My battery hasn't been very good for a couple of months now, if the bike sits for more than a few days I usually have to pop the clutch or jump it, but I figured I'd replace it after parking it for the winter. Anywho, I go to start it today and it is way dead. No clock or anything. We hooked up some jumpers to another bike and the clock came on but that was it. Tried jumping it from the bike, jumping it from a car (while off) then out of desperation turned the car on and tried again. Still no sign of life except the clock.

So we gave it one last shot with a push start, I pop the clutch and it fires up, but immediately starts doing this...

Not me laughing, not in the best mood right now. So then I decide to give it some throttle, and I get this...

I have no idea what's causing all this. I mean it couldn't just be the battery being done for, could it? I have not done any further troubleshooting, as I don't even know what to look for first. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
817aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
spiritofkaos1
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
first time i've ever seen anything like that. you say you have friends that ride? try swapping batteries with a good one and firing your bike up. if the problem goes away, you know it's your battery. if it's still there, then we can troubleshoot more.

SGT Mario Kawika Deleon
05.11.80 - 04.16.07

team white.

2009 phoenix - crashed [june BOTM winner]
2007 all white - the current ride
1997 328i - protection from the elements

www.facebook.com/spiritofkaos1
spiritofkaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
sincalirider
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,180 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 817aaron View Post
I have no idea what's causing all this. I mean it couldn't just be the battery being done for, could it? I have not done any further troubleshooting, as I don't even know what to look for first. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
It could and probably is. Your battery is so dead that the bike trying to warm up and charge an extremely dead battery, solely running on the energy the stator can give it. Don't try and run it or jump it any more with a car on, you can cause damage to your ignition system. Like spirit said, get a fresh battery in there. In the future, if you're not going to start your bike for a week, disconnect the battery. You're prematurely shortening it's shelf life. Batteries should last 4 or more years in optimal conditions.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
817aaron
Training Wheel Hero

Hey thanks guys. I appreciate the quick responses cause I was worried sick, haha. I'll make sure to take better care of my next battery. It hasn't been very good since I bought it so I never really cared. My fellow riders have all gone home for the night, but I'll be hauling it in a truck to one of their houses tomorrow and will give it a shot and post how it goes.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Handyman
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When the battery on my Honda was shot the bike would still start but it would do weird things until I was on the freeway for a few minutes to charge the battery.. At the time I didn't know it was the battery until I went to ride after it sat over the weekend and the bike was dead.... Like the others have said... Change your battery

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
817aaron
Training Wheel Hero

Okay, problem solved, for the most part.

I switched out the battery, still wouldn't fire up. Turns out I had blown a fuse. Not one in the fuse box, but a green 30 inside the plug next to the battery.

Replaced that fuse, everything fired up. EXCEPT...

The bike will not recognize it's in neutral. I can flip up the kickstand, squeeze the clutch, and it fires up fine. I can even put it in neutral and let off the clutch and it'll run. But it won't fire up in neutral, and I can't put the kickstand down when the bike is in neutral. And at no point will the neutral light in my gauge cluster come on.

Anyone have and idearssss? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement