Would you do it? 2012 Honda CBR 600 for a 2011 Ducati 848 EVO : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
deusmc
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you do it? 2012 Honda CBR 600 for a 2011 Ducati 848 EVO

So I was helping my friend look for his first bike today when I came across a 2011 Ducati 848 EVE with 3k miles on the odo for $10,400, the dealer said I could in all likelyhood trade my CBR in and put $1k down and she would be mine. I am seriously contemplating this, would you guys pull the trigger?

2012 Honda CBR 600RR
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe
deusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

First issue its a dealer saleman...

Second it's sound almost too easy...

Third it's probably in need of an oil change at 3k so now 6k and 8k and trust me that's some decent $$ to be lost for a good cause.

If it was a 1199 or 989 I'd jump all day

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
sincalirider
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,180 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
If that's what kind of bike you like and it won't put you in a strain financially then why not? Variety is the spice of life.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Moeman
**Miss O'Seven BOTY 2011**----- Triumph for Tarek

Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,887 Posts
Feedback Score: 144 reviews
If you got the funds for the upkeep go for it

Honrary Chairman [

In memory of SpdyG_AK , Close Assault & Phatstud
Moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Handyman
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
At 7500 miles it will be due for its first scheduled service which can start at around $900. That price can vary from dealer to dealer. I love my 1098S and have little to no issues but is currently in the shop for a failed rod bearing... That repair alone is $6000+... Thank god I still have the warranty... I can give you loads of info on the Ducati's if you want so you aren't buying a bike that you don't know much about... just PM me and I will give you any info you need and let you know of all the known issues Ducati's have had...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

Like others have said, if you got the cash to throw away at maintenance go for it!

What color is the bike?

Its a 2011 model, so Ducati have gone through all the gremlin problems. But have heard that they haven't fixed the expanding tank problem

If anything PM "Handy man" he's got a Ducati.

highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
fonix36
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
**** yes I would. Do It

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
mad_man
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Idk man. Probably not. One of the great things about the rr is just being able to ride the piss out of, and not having to think twice about it. But it is different. And sometimes you gotta satisfy the itch of curiosity. If u can afford to scratch it, why not?

I had the cbr1krr itch a couple months back. I scratched it. If it wasn't for the physical size of the bike, I would have kept it. I just found it was a little bit to big for what I was looking for.

2007 600rr-Leo Vince exhaust (7733) | Tripage Integrated Tail Light | Competition Werkes FE | LP Smoked Flusmounts | Vortex Rearsets | DDM Tuning HID's | Kpowersports 40th Anniversary Repsol Fairings | K&N Air filter | Double Bubble Windscreen | Keiti reflective rim tape | EK 520 Chain conversion | Tech Spec "snakeskin" Tank Pads | Wild Bills Red Powdercoated Rims |
2006 600rr- SOLD
mad_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
salsaleh
AMA Supersport Racer

i took the 848 for a test ride the other day, couldnt wait to get off of it ...
I dnu about you but it is no where near the comfort level of the cbr, id advice you keep ur balls at home when riding the 848. the ride fealt rough, it jerks alot at low rpm.

Your daily dose of pre-workout motivation, fitness articles, and whatever it takes to go beast-mode on em

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Painan...40363356065027
salsaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaleh View Post
I dnu about you but it is no where near the comfort level of the cbr, id advice you keep ur balls at home when riding the 848. the ride fealt rough, it jerks alot at low rpm.
It is a whole different animal; dry clutch, much more aggresive rider triangle, torquey engine. I have never ridden one yet, but wouldnt mind trying it although something tells me I will never like it as I do the RR.
Likin the new sig pic saleh

Try before you buy; if you are in love, work the price down by mentioning the oil change that is just around the corner and check the bike very effing carefully. Ducatis as most concur are maintenance whores and repairs can be quite suicidal for your wallet. Best of luck.

Co-President of Team46

Married to Shin Soo-Ji (7/7/2013)

Amat Victoria Curam

Last edited by Rad Rage; 11-04-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rad Rage For This Useful Post:
salsaleh (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
ctekguy
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
It is a whole different animal; dry clutch, much more aggresive rider triangle, torquey engine. I have never ridden one yet, but wouldnt mind trying it although something tells me I will never like it as I do the RR.
It's a wet clutch buddy.

With that said, I agree with pretty much everything else. It is a more aggressive seating position, and not many people appreciate those kind of ergos because not many people understand why they are like that and what the benefit is to ergos being that way, racing.

Two riders can be identical in height, weight, arm length and inseam, though have totally different opinions on ergos because of riding style.

I happen to favor MOST race ergos. Only bike I had issue with thus far is the Triumph 675R, to me..it was much more aggressive in the saddle than the 848 or 1198, which ducati's are notorious for their race ergos.

My opinion to OP, if you don't have much experience or desire to race/track a bike, you more than likely will not enjoy the ergos of the 848 EVO. Riding a twin these days takes more effort than a inline, which also takes getting use to.

Good luck deciding.

MSF Basic Rider Course Locations - http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?
Houston Press News - http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-10-...speed-racers/1
Wind Chill Calculator - http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml
A* Ridge Waterproof Riding Boots Review - http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=204100
ctekguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctekguy View Post
It's a wet clutch buddy.

With that said, I agree with pretty much everything else. It is a more aggressive seating position, and not many people appreciate those kind of ergos because not many people understand why they are like that and what the benefit is to ergos being that way, racing.

Two riders can be identical in height, weight, arm length and inseam, though have totally different opinions on ergos because of riding style.

I happen to favor MOST race ergos. Only bike I had issue with thus far is the Triumph 675R, to me..it was much more aggressive in the saddle than the 848 or 1198, which ducati's are notorious for their race ergos.

My opinion to OP, if you don't have much experience or desire to race/track a bike, you more than likely will not enjoy the ergos of the 848 EVO. Riding a twin these days takes more effort than a inline, which also takes getting use to.

Good luck deciding.
Damn it! I apologize sincerely for that. I hate it when people give out wrong info let alone do it myself. But wow, I have always wanted a 675R, had no idea the ergos were more aggressive than Dukes..........SHI.T!

Co-President of Team46

Married to Shin Soo-Ji (7/7/2013)

Amat Victoria Curam
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,315 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If the bike is legit I'd absolutely do it.
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
normal_deviation
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaleh View Post
+ 1..... Dont be fooled by the fancy name and paint job. Its def not the most comfortable bike on the road. The twin is also something to get used to if your coming from an inline. Oh.. and wait till you jamb your hand between the clip on and the fairing when moving the bike about..... LMAO .... Like the others said... its a different animal, and one you may not really like.
RS-5 Carbon
Flush
520 -1/+2
CW.FE.
PIAA's
ASV
Asst.Black Pts
SOLD......

09 GREEN.... .... I'll update this eventually......

Last edited by normal_deviation; 11-04-2012 at 09:36 AM.
normal_deviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
03cbr-rider
Moto GP Racer

We had a very nice 848 evo in our shop a few months back. I love how it looks in street form, thing is, it's just too close looking to the bike I already have, especially in person. That and the fact that I HATE the dry clutch and prefer an inline engine, I'd just rather hold on to mine and stay happy. It's a very nice machine though, but I wouldn't throw that much money at a bike that isn't any different than the others and is bone stock. That bike in white was a great deal of inspiration to painting my fairings completely white though. Ultimately the only thing I like about it is how it looks anyways...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
We had a very nice 848 evo in our shop a few months back. I love how it looks in street form, thing is, it's just too close looking to the bike I already have, especially in person. That and the fact that I HATE the dry clutch and prefer an inline engine.
The 848 has a wet clutch.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Moeman
**Miss O'Seven BOTY 2011**----- Triumph for Tarek

Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,887 Posts
Feedback Score: 144 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
Damn it! I apologize sincerely for that. I hate it when people give out wrong info let alone do it myself. But wow, I have always wanted a 675R, had no idea the ergos were more aggressive than Dukes..........SHI.T!
You know I ride a 675R and to me I see no difference what so ever in its ergos in comparison to the RR it's very similar to my 03 then Miss O'Seven where my 03 you are on the bike but in the bike for Miss O'Seven just like anything you got to try it yourself before making a judgement

Honrary Chairman [

In memory of SpdyG_AK , Close Assault & Phatstud
Moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
You know I ride a 675R and to me I see no difference what so ever in its ergos in comparison to the RR it's very similar to my 03 then Miss O'Seven where my 03 you are on the bike but in the bike for Miss O'Seven just like anything you got to try it yourself before making a judgement
I rode the 1098S for hundreds of miles in a day and was never bothered. People need to try for themselves as you say, otherwise it's just a bunch of made up hooey.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
tuRbOtROn
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
We had a very nice 848 evo in our shop a few months back. I love how it looks in street form, thing is, it's just too close looking to the bike I already have, especially in person. That and the fact that I HATE the dry clutch and prefer an inline engine, I'd just rather hold on to mine and stay happy.
Again...the 848,1098,1198, and 1199 all have WET clutches!

In my experience(having gone from the 600rr to the 848) the riding position and the feel of the L-Twin did take some getting used to. Just took a little more leg/knee effort to keep your wrists from exploding! And without aids like the standard steering damper combined with the 848s relatively lite front end, you could get into a little trouble coming out of turns onto unleveled road. With that said its a rather enjoyable ride(for me) my gf doesn't really enjoy it...cause the rear end is rather small and gets really hot do to the twin under tail pipes and the v-type engines known heat issues. And not to mention ducati's annoying electrical issues. That being said...I've enjoyed every second on that machine, and even though the old lady isn't into the pillion ergos she'd rather take that little bit of discomfort and hop on back any chance she gets(has something to do with under tail exhuast I think;)). Sort story....I wouldn't change my decision to hop on the duc from the 600rr. I think with all the known flaws/dislikes that comes with this machine...for me the goods outweigh the bads! This bike is just more suited for my riding style. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my 600rr, and had she not been stolen I would definitely still have her and the duc. That is all.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
To use it in a sentence
In other words displaying interest and or admiration or as you put it "leg humping" is so fouled by your judgement that you're statement is both dehumanizing and so lacking in morality that it brings shame upon you.

the rest of us who haven't committed such obvious acts of player hating are full of win, however.
tuRbOtROn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuRbOtROn View Post
Again...the 848,1098,1198, and 1199 all have WET clutches!
WHAT????

Ok, enough of the Ducati wanna-be's.

The 848 and 1199 have wet clutches, the 1098 and 1198 are dry.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
sincalirider
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,180 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The amount of misinformation in this thread is comical to me. Especially from the guys who "rode" or "heard" and the actually owners. Carry on dot net.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
Handyman
AMA Supersport Racer

Wow all the mis informationbeing put out... the ducati superbikes are a different breed altogether compared to the CBR's. They aren't for everyone but some love them, like me. Yes the motor does not like being under 25mph, it will buck and snort telling you to stop being a b***h and give it some gas. The slowest I go is 30mph in 2nd gear. This can be helped by changing the gearing( sprockets)

No the expanding/warping fuel tanks have not been fixed with the pre-2010 bikes.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Handyman
AMA Supersport Racer

Good read

http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/ind...hat-to-expect/
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
rlee350
AMA Supersport Racer

What dealership was this because of you don't do it I will :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
rlee350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Yes, this is an old pic but I miss this bike and this is a valid place to post it.

If you have a Ducati dealer near you, THEY DO TEST RIDES! Go ride one and have fun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
Moeman (11-04-2012), mttviper (11-06-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
attran84
Pocketbike Racer

I hope your not talking about the one at house of motorcycles. I too live in vista and I went there and idk I wasnt impressed. Good luck though
attran84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #27
03cbr-rider
Moto GP Racer

Sorry, I was thinking of the 1098's excuse me, my hands are up in the air don't shoot. On a serious note, I'm pretty much use to ducati's having dry clutches from work. Regardless of that silly fact, it still sounds like my dirt bike... and my dirt bike does not sound cool. No need to agree with me, but I find it to be quite true.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #28
TheX
Moto GP Racer

I never liked the sound of the dry clutch, but couldn't hear it while riding it. My V4 sounds better than any other bike I've ever heard outside of MotoGP.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
tuRbOtROn
AMA Supersport Racer

Relaxed fellas...I was just about to come back after the thought of my post randomly popped in my head after a short nap and while taking a shower to get over my hangover from last night, to correct myself about the 1098 and 1198. Oh and furthermore about the tank issue...it was not corrected but in the same breath, I haven't had an issue with the tank...not sure what the ethanol level has to be to cause the tanks to expand!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
To use it in a sentence
In other words displaying interest and or admiration or as you put it "leg humping" is so fouled by your judgement that you're statement is both dehumanizing and so lacking in morality that it brings shame upon you.

the rest of us who haven't committed such obvious acts of player hating are full of win, however.

Last edited by tuRbOtROn; 11-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.
tuRbOtROn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
03cbr-rider
Moto GP Racer

The aprilia tuono sounded good that we worked on. Same engine I believe as yours. I still love the scream of most jap supersports, they sound like formula one cars.
Advertisement