Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Oil and Lube

Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
KombatKyle
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overfilled oil. Possible damages?

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=293155

^^ This is my sign up thread, rather than re-post i figure i should direct you here.

Question is regarding a bike that had been run far too much oil.
KombatKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Ccdel237
Pocketbike Racer

I don't know for sure but it sounds like a gamble. If it runs fine now it should be ok but you never know for sure. I would personally pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
-Rizzo-
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forget It

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Just drain a little out, it's easy. I did it, no mess either.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

2003 600RR, 14 Subaru WRX & 95 Civic CX Hatch
(
East Lansing, MI)

September 2012 BOTM

My Build
UPDATE: P. 42 (ALL MODS INSTALLED)
-Rizzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Ccdel237
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rizzo- View Post
Just drain a little out, it's easy. I did it, no mess either.

I think the bike is at the correct level now, but he said one of the previous owners filled it until it basically started coming back out. And at one point it was so bad that it caused the bike not to run.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
-Rizzo-
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forget It

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Ya I think in order to check u run the bike for 30 seconds shut it off and check. I think that's how u do it

2003 600RR, 14 Subaru WRX & 95 Civic CX Hatch
(
East Lansing, MI)

September 2012 BOTM

My Build
UPDATE: P. 42 (ALL MODS INSTALLED)
-Rizzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
KombatKyle
Training Wheel Hero

Ccdel is right. Kid filled the case to the BRIM, all the way to the threads on the oil fill hole. Ran the bike after that - and the PCV obviously spit a shitload of oil into the air box. Bike stopped running (fouled the plugs). Now the bike has new plugs in it, the injectors were apparently checked and they're good. The excess oil was drained and the intake was all cleaned out. The bike starts and purrs, i want to know if there could be any hidden damage - and just how possible that would be.
KombatKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
roost28
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if the bike is running good and not making any strange noises you would be ok, the bike probably did not run that long before it stalled out.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Ccdel237
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost28 View Post
if the bike is running good and not making any strange noises you would be ok, the bike probably did not run that long before it stalled out.
Oil is really tough. If the crankcase was filled to the top there would be very little air to move around. It could have created crazy pressures everywhere.

Stuff could still be damaged even if its running alright. Or maybe nothing is damaged. You just don't know for sure.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost28 View Post

If you're not leaking oil and bike is running fine then overfilling probably forced oil into the intake. All that did was more than likely stall the engine at idle rather than hydrolock it. New Spark plugs, Air filter and really cleaning the intake plenum is about all you should do - until something else comes up.

"I THINK" its at the correct now - NO. BE DAMN SURE do it yourself if you must. I never believe anything a previous owner tells me. I go home and do all the maintenance again.

For 3k i'd buy it too ; |
etxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etxx For This Useful Post:
KombatKyle (11-06-2012)
Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
cailes
Knee Dragger

possible damages on car engines (new to bikes) would be the crankshaft would dip into the oil and would increase drag and stress on the engine. Short term that would decrease power and fuel efficiency, long term will take out bearings. I am aware that the tranny and engine are one unit with oil on the RR, so I am unaware if the crankshaft is designed to be submersed in the oil, I highly doubt it considering how fast the RPM's go to, I would just drain a little bit out. If you drain it into a clean container, and drain out too much just pour back in until full

*edit* on cars the transmission gears are submersed in fluid as they are not spinning nearly as fast, and have other reasons as to why it doesnt hurt the tranny, which is the same on the bike.

Last edited by cailes; 01-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
cailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
possible damages on car engines (new to bikes) would be the crankshaft would dip into the oil and would increase drag and stress on the engine. Short term that would decrease power and fuel efficiency, long term will take out bearings. I am aware that the tranny and engine are one unit with oil on the RR, so I am unaware if the crankshaft is designed to be submersed in the oil, I highly doubt it considering how fast the RPM's go to, I would just drain a little bit out. If you drain it into a clean container, and drain out too much just pour back in until full

*edit* on cars the transmission gears are submersed in fluid as they are not spinning nearly as fast, and have other reasons as to why it doesnt hurt the tranny, which is the same on the bike.
wow... and you came up with these "facts" a dream you had?

no gears are ever submerged in oil. they would act like impellers / oil pumps, and they do spin really fast lmao. Enough to make a milkshake out of the oil. All transmissions rely on splash lubrication, oil runs through the mesh from gear to gear splashes and drips on everything else. Crankshafts NEVER dip on the oil either. Jets aim at the pistons for cooling and that splashes on the rod bearings too. Main bearings are lubricated by internal passages. Most small motorcycle / scooter engines also have roller or ball bearings either on the rods or cranks too and those get splashed or jetted. ehhhm, i'm working on a 110cc scooter engine right now.

this is why the internet is often not the place to get your facts...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etxx For This Useful Post:
MachRider (01-29-2013), TheX (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,251 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by etxx View Post
Amen to that.
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
Ccdel237
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etxx View Post
no gears are ever submerged in oil.

Lol you just made your own point! Gears are absolutely submersed in oil! Think about a rear end.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
cailes (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
cailes
Knee Dragger

These "facts" would be a College Degree, I was stating that the Crankshaft should NOT be dipping into oil, there is a windage tray beneath the crankshaft inbetween the oil, the purpose of that is to stop the "wind" or air swirreling from the crankshaft to fill the oil with air bubbles. What I was stating is that if you overfill an engine the oil could go above the windage tray and the crankshaft could dip into the oil which would cause damage, I did not state that the crankshaft was designed to work in oil.

The transmission in a standard car is filled up about half way, there are gears in there which the fluid has submersed them at least half way, how the lubrication is done is when the vehicle moves the gears move (DURR) and splash the fluid up and lubricate around.. I didnt say anything about pump? and as Ccdel237 said the rear end is submersed, at least half way and works the same way as a transmission.

They only "gear" in a transmission that is spinning as fast as an engine is the input shaft which is attached to the clutch (should i go into how that works?) after that the gears are used to translate the engine speed into drivetrain energy to move the vehicle for certain speeds, get it?

So before you dismiss my information as some retarded bullshit, perhaps you should actually read what I wrote, and look some stuff up, good job you're an idiot

Oh I just read you are working on a 110cc scooter engine, that's cute, how about you build a few drift cars and rebuild a couple V8's then come talk to me about engines.

Last edited by cailes; 01-28-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Ccdel237
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Perhaps you should actually read what I wrote, and look some stuff up, good job you're an idiot

Oh I just read you are working on a 110cc scooter engine, that's cute, how about you build a few drift cars and rebuild a couple V8's then come talk to me about engines.
Lol easy now.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
cailes
Knee Dragger

Ya perhaps a little overboard, just these little Internet Kids annoy me alot.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

lol drifting... wrong person. i have been drifting and building cars since 2003. Before you even found out about Initial D kiddo. what are you in college still and think you know everything or believe everything you read on the web? nice..

when i said working on a 110cc, i meant i'm part of a team of engineer that is DESIGNING the engine, not building one. lmao. buddy, i make a living out of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccdel237 View Post
Lol you just made your own point! Gears are absolutely submersed in oil! Think about a rear end.

NOT IT IS NOT. The rear diff.. u moron. The crown gear is barely 20-30% submerged in oil.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

for your sake i'm deleting this message and moving on with my life.

OP your engine is fine. do what i said on my first post and keep on riding. don't pay attention to this bozo.

Last edited by etxx; 01-28-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
cailes
Knee Dragger

Degree bud, graduated for a while now, I've been into drifting before the initial d craze, well have fun tinkering around with a lil engine there bud, please tell me when it's complete and who is manufacturing it so I can tell everyone to avoid it as the guy building it doesn't know what he is talking about

K thanks byeee
Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
cailes
Knee Dragger

Oh and please go ahead and tell me what of what I said is incorrect, since you're oh so knowledgable in it?

I don't mind being wrong, I learn from it, but what I stated is correct and you have ignored that you were foolish instead tried to say you do that **** for a living, blah blah blah, met too many of you guys on the Internet to see it as any bit truthful
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

must have graduated business, music or something..here you go read about the 110cc, its not some simple single cylinder air cooled moped engine.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012...-20120424.html
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
cailes
Knee Dragger

Pretty neat little engine, Automotive program which we were invited to SEMA, it was a good time.

Now, can you tell me where I said incorrect information and correct me? I want to know what I was incorrect about?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

per your request, i have outlined it for you.
Quote:
possible damages on car engines (new to bikes) would be the crankshaft would dip into the oil and would increase drag and stress on the engine.
- the engine and crankshaft could care less about that "stress" anyone can throw that word around without understanding, but you're still wrong. The actual failure mode would be that you froth the oil into a cappuccino and the oil pump is unlikely to supply the needed lubrication and cooling for everything. Fail / leak seals from added pressure, move oil into the intake and smoke like a ***, fail the catalytic converter etc etc etc the list goes on and on.

Short term that would decrease power and fuel efficiency, long term will take out bearings.
- genius. read above how the bearings fail, not because of stress or because it takes extra power to rotate the engine. Please pick up the Heywood book for intro to ICE to learn how an engine works. It'll open your eyes to that comment of fuel efficiency too.

I am aware that the tranny and engine are one unit with oil on the RR, so I am unaware if the crankshaft is designed to be submersed in the oil
- no engine is designed to dip crankshaft or rods into oil. period.

I highly doubt it considering how fast the RPM's go to, I would just drain a little bit out. If you drain it into a clean container, and drain out too much just pour back in until full
- would you pour frothed oil back into your engine. another genius suggestion for the OP considering its $35 worth of oil and filter. NO.

- we covered this in above previous posts too.
in other words EVERYTHING you said was just wrong. if this were middle school test i wouldn't even give you a point of partial credit for spelling your name correctly on the test. Real life just doesnt work that way.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
cailes
Knee Dragger

So you're saying that the crankshaft smacking into oil would not damage bearings? And hat post was a quick one to let him know what the possible damages are, I didn't go into depth or anything, it's a pain on my iPhone to type so much.

I also didn't read his original post I just saw that the oil was overfilled

And yes I stated I was unaware if this engine was designed to have oil over the crank, I am new to bikes so why would I say something if I am not for certain, but I went ahead and said i highly doubt it is designed that way.

You say no engine is designed to have the crankshaft dip into oil, but I know of a few law mower engines that the crankshaft does dip into the oil as there is no oil pump.

Now tell me what's wrong with my second post?

And by submersed I didn't mean the gear is fully under fluid, but they are in fluid, perhaps submersed was the incorrect wording, I apologize that it may have confused you.

Last edited by cailes; 01-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

so now you want to talk about 2-stroke lawnmower engines? wrong again.

listen. take it or leave it. you're way off. i hope you are not putting your jdm drift spec chevy v8 together with this level of mediocrecy. i'm doing you a favor here. go figure things out, and not by reading someone's internet blog.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #26
cailes
Knee Dragger

Lol whatever man, if you really say so, thanks for keeping me entertained for the past lol while it's been fun.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
MachRider
World Superbike Racer

Hey come on, keep going.

This is good.
Bright Headlights
Handlebar Grips
Completely Bone Stock Fuel Tank
Tuned by Valentino Rossi
MachRider is offline   Reply With Quote