DIY Installation Guide for Stomp Grips : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > DIY Write up's

DIY Write up's This forum should be used for any step by step descriptions of a job you are tackling. Pictures are a big help to clarify the process

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
kidnplay01
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post DIY Installation Guide for Stomp Grips

Ok, I have read a few things on here in regard to fitment, ppl scared of the soap and water way, how to reduce air bubbles etc.

So here is a easy guide with proven working ability, and tips i wish i had :icon_lol:

1) Get your bike out in the sun, warm that tank area up one way or other (heat gun)

2) Clean the tank area with some cleaner / alcohol / whatever you have to get rid of the dirt/grease built in, unless like me you have fresh fairings where soapy water was enough.

3) get a few drops of detergent / soap into a bottle fill with water shake about or no spray just get a bowl with some soapy water as above.

4) Get 1 stomp grip ready by peeling it back, this was more difficult then you may think, as you dont want to get your fingerprints on it, as this may / will show later on with the install. So spray the parting area (grip/waste paper) and you can touch it now as its slippery and not sticking. The amount of water on it doesnt really matter, so dont stress.
BUT CAREFUL... HAVE A CLEAN AREA WIND FREE AS CRAP MAY FLY ONTO YOUR STICKY PAD AND NOT LOOK PRETTY ON YOUR TANK and getting rid of it may become a PIA and noticeable later on the tank.

5) Now apply to the tank, squeeze out as much water / air as possible (spend a few minutes) and place where you want to have it.

6) Now respray the other side of the tank as no doubt its dry by now, same process as the other one and have it aligned as the other

7) Now that they are both on, go to the one thats been on there the longest and press out any air / water still trapped, now repeat other side.

8) I only had very light bubbled area that i put down to still moisture, i just left it in the sun further to heat it right up, as when i came back to it later, i just kept pressing it to the tank and finally is stuck.

9) Use a heat gun / hair dryer if you can to really heat it up, as the glue works best with heat. Do this for about 5-10min each side to get it really going,

Careful not to MELT / BURN the Grip nor damage your bike, if you cant touch it, then its too HOT

Next Sit and Enjoy, It can take a few days to adhere properly as stated on the directions..But all and all Great Product..

Ohlins- Fork Springs, Shock, S.D, UES Kit 20mm, PCIII, Velocity Stack mod, RS-5 C.F Yoshi, Dynoed, K&N Air Filter, Cox Radiator Guard, Powers Race Railz mod, MOTY Battery, Pazzo Levers, Harris Grips, Stomp Grips, Ram mounting, Custom Fairings, Custom led gauges, C.F -Hugger-Sprocket cover,Exhaust,Heel, Chain, Engine,& clutch guards. Trippage led pegs, 520 Conv, -1 +2 Superlight Sprocket, Comp werkes FE, Dunlop Q2's, EBC Kevlar Heavy Duty Clutch/Springs, Vesrah RJL Pads,Braided brake lines

Last edited by kidnplay01; 07-22-2009 at 02:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidnplay01 For This Useful Post:
GConn (07-08-2013), YourNameHere (07-25-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Workinboy
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Has anyone else tried this way? How does it work? I'm trying to find the best/easiest way to install my grips.

2006 CBR1000RR Build Thread: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=421441
Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Standup
Pocketbike Racer

I installed mine this way on Wednesday, still letting them fully cure but they came out great. No large air bubbles, it was really easy to posistion the pads were I wanted them. I just did one side at a time using the hair dryer and it took about 2 1/2 hours, could probably take other less but i'm very picky when it comes to my bike. This is a proven method though, I've installed dirt bike graphics this same way with no problems over 4-5 years of rough use.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
GConn
BOTM Winner 04/14

Thanks for the write up!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Workinboy
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I just installed my grips and tank pad using this method this afternoon and it turned out great. Had a friend of mine come over and it took us about 15-20 minutes for each side; not bad at all. Overall first impression is fantastic! No air bubbles, no nothing. Towards the top of my tank is a little black so it looks a little tacky, but not bad at all! Recommend wearing rubber gloves so no fingerprints show up.

2006 CBR1000RR Build Thread: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=421441
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
kidnplay01
AMA Supersport Racer

No worries guys thanks, if i do things where i had no DIY to go by, i always take pics and do a write up, 600rr.net helped me in other areas so i give my own back

Wear gloves for insurance of no fingerprints, or as stated wet it first then play, sounds like directions for something else
Ohlins- Fork Springs, Shock, S.D, UES Kit 20mm, PCIII, Velocity Stack mod, RS-5 C.F Yoshi, Dynoed, K&N Air Filter, Cox Radiator Guard, Powers Race Railz mod, MOTY Battery, Pazzo Levers, Harris Grips, Stomp Grips, Ram mounting, Custom Fairings, Custom led gauges, C.F -Hugger-Sprocket cover,Exhaust,Heel, Chain, Engine,& clutch guards. Trippage led pegs, 520 Conv, -1 +2 Superlight Sprocket, Comp werkes FE, Dunlop Q2's, EBC Kevlar Heavy Duty Clutch/Springs, Vesrah RJL Pads,Braided brake lines
Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
GConn
BOTM Winner 04/14

So you could soak the back in soapy water and it would still stick?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
kidnplay01
AMA Supersport Racer

No need to soak it, get a knife and seperate on the edge, then wet between the layers, pull and spray. or as stated wear gloves
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
EWOKie
Pocketbike Racer

Put my black ones with no probs, just cleaned the tank up with zipwax (wash and wax) and let dry to get rid of any dust/debris.
Started front the centre bottom (if looking at rhs of bike..nearest the seat)
Applied the grip and voila..done.
Let it sit overnight as it was cold when I did it with no bubbles and still holds well after 4 months.....

Went for black ones as I dont have decals on the tank.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
rostam
Training Wheel Hero

Do the pros (i.e. Rossi, Lorenzo, SPies) use stomp grip. I don't see it on their bikes. Why?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
GConn
BOTM Winner 04/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Do the pros (i.e. Rossi, Lorenzo, SPies) use stomp grip. I don't see it on their bikes. Why?
No...but I think they ride better than me...
Old 09-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #12
atrang
Pocketbike Racer

Cheers for this thread, I put mine on yesterday and it turned out pretty good! The one on the right is slightly off, must've moved after I had it lined up.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
MJ01
Training Wheel Hero

Thank you.
Great !
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
Slowstang
Training Wheel Hero

I don't want to threadjack, as the OP is the real correct way to do it, but when I put mine on my last bike, I windexed the area in the sun and just stuck them right on, peeling the back away slowly, and rubbed them down with a tennis ball to remove air bubbles, and they stuck great for the 3 years I used them.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
mxr64k
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wish I would have found this thread last weekend.

I tried the stomp grips but it didn't turn out well.... I am experience applying graphics but i just could not get these to stick.

I cleaned the tank, heated the tank and grip... next morning... one side was laying on the ground.. the other was half pealed up..

not too impressed.

my lockhart tank pad had no problem staying on...
Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
$trreetKing600
Training Wheel Hero

nice writeup man, im gonna def do this next week when i get mine tech specs grip pads.
with more money will come more goodies.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
Shadow6OORRider
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
next bike i'll try stomp grip instead of techspecs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread