» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Meeting Point > Europe

Europe A place for riders from Europe to set up group rides

Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
banner41
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New EU Rules

For all EU riders, especially UK riders (as we'll be the only ones that adhere to it) , I am reading and very concerned at the proposed type approval laws ( due to be voted on in July ) apparently this will make it illegal to modify a motorcycle in any way , shear bolts, ABS compulsory etc.. Read below and fear for your freedom

However, it’s not just the Regulation from Europe that will be effecting us soon. The 10 very real European issues that we still need to draw attention to are:

The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.
Compulsory ABS. If we can’t stop this, we must get a switch so that we have an option in difficult conditions where ABS doesn’t function well.
Automatic headlights on- passing the blame for poor observation on to us.
OBD. On Board Diagnostics so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and with the threat, rather like a tacho, of identifying past riding style…
RMI. Repair and Maintenance Information. Rather than keeping it hidden and available for huge expense, there is a chance that manufacturers will be forced to provide ECU codes etc for a fee. What that fee is remains to be seen.
The very worrying article 52: “If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers” So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter in Europe.The Delegated Acts are the most scary thing, as they are the lists and details drawn up by the unelected and we won’t get to see what they are including until after the Regulation has been passed!
In solidarity with the French we need to be drawing attention to their recent government proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.
Full sleeve day-glo clothing for riders and passengers has been proposed in the Irish Parliament too.
All these issues lead to the same thing, that we must take the blame for the incompetence of other road users. And while the emergency stop has been removed as a compulsory element of the UK car driving test, we are jumping through hoops with ill-judged UK interpretations of EU licencing directives.
Another EU licencing Directive is on its way (3DLD) to step the bike licencing system still further and the DfT and DSA still haven’t sorted the consultation process, even though it is meant to be in law by now and enacted January 2013.ory ,
banner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
dickturpin 1976
World Superbike Racer

Thumbs down

you are ******* jokin no mods?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!!?!?!?? hi viz gear?!?!?!?!?!?!?! this tacho style thing is a bit worrying like as well isn it.. so if this is implied you can be stopped an checked on your speed limits which you may of broke the days/weeks previous?? this is ******* so wrong its UNBELIEVABLE!!! WOW i`m in complete shock! i`m angry... WTF are they punishing bikers for! sorry but if this stuff gets passed for bikes it should be getting implemented for cars also WTF?!?!?!!?!?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
virus.eXe
Training Wheel Hero

Interesting , but yeah cars should be the same if this is maybe the case
virus.eXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
banner41
Knee Dragger

It's a real worry , check out bike magazine or the MAG (motorcycle action group), for further details ..

No more aftermarket exhausts, fender Eliminators, indicators , or even double bubble screens!! Could even go as far as you not being able to work on your own bike .. Even down to changing the oil !! Seriously

No mention of cars , so you can drive round in a knackered old corsa with a 12 inch diameter exhaust .. No problem
Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
banner41
Knee Dragger

My understanding is that all bikes will have to conform to this , ie non standard/modified . that's why there is also a big stink going on on the vintage/classic scene as well !! no bikes over 7 years old allowed in urban areas!! WTF ???

Basically some Eurocrat is going to kill the motorcycle industry/scene overnight in europe

Google it folks , didn't people die to preserve our freedom of choice , just for some fat overpaid pen pusher to remove them and decide on our we conduct our lives ?

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25982

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/files/cit-sum-com-542_en.pdf

Last edited by banner41; 04-22-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
fraschusa
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
man am I glad I moved to the US....LOL I remember all the grief the authorities and cops gave you with mods and having all you paperwork in order.....love the US, you just make it your bike and don't worry about it...
fraschusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

I read that ABS will almost surely be mandatory from 2015 on new bikes and they may require it on all from 2016. One of the reasons I've bought the C-ABS RR is so I can sell it again later if this law comes into being.

I really hope that one about speeding and examining the diagnostics doesn't fly. Nobody will ride because we are all 99% sure to get nailed - if you don't speed a little on many roads, you will be putting yourself in a dangerous situation where you're forced to stay in traffic and constantly wave cars past. Installing this will guarantee higher risk and lots of penalties so it will just become too expensive for anyone to ride.
Maaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
sincalirider
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,180 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Wow, what a joke. I guess non of your delegates are motorcycle enthusiast. No rider would push this law.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
banner41
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
Wow, what a joke. I guess non of your delegates are motorcycle enthusiast. No rider would push this law.
I very much doubt it, just a bunch of people in Brussels passing laws to overcome problems that don't exist
In the first place
Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

I don't think all of it's going to fly because the bike producers probably won't be too enthusiastic about it, but the ABS seems to be going on most bikes already as an option. Honestly, I think ABS is a good idea in any case, but some of the other stuff is just pointless, I mean just look at the police here in Italy when they're on bikes: they don't even wear day-glow gear; they always have less gear than me or other riders; their bikes don't have ABS most of the time - even though it's been available for some time, they've chosen models without it. Bikes are already priced to the point where they're a luxury item in Europe for many people, especially sport bikes. These laws will destroy the market.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Fly_Killer
AMA Supersport Racer

Looks like they legalized crack back in EU
Do what you like, like what you do. LIFE IS GOOD
Fly_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

You're not going to believe this. The latest EU proposal is to make bike "airbags" mandatory. It seems they want to push jackets with airbags built in and mechanical activators. What a crock of $$$$. Would've been nice to know about this before I went out to buy all new gear. Here's a link to a story on moto.it about it. If it isn't in English, just select English on the drop-down menu in the top-right for a bad Google translation.

http://www.moto.it/news/airbag-per-m...mativa-ue.html
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Mstcoastie
Knee Dragger

Why can't the government stay out of people's lives... Makes me sick

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Mstcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstcoastie View Post
Why can't the government stay out of people's lives... Makes me sick
I know what you mean, although I'm generally in favor of minimum safety standards. My problem will be when the government says my high quality Dainese suit isn't legal but some useless, low-quality jacket with an airbag built into it is. Obviously I'm going to be better protected in most situations than some moron with only a lid and a cheap jacket with an airbag. It would be nice if the government actually offered real support by listening to riders, police or safety experts instead of making up laws to support a lobby group representing some manufacturer or some other special interest group that has no real interest in our well-being.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Guess they decided to give you guys something else to worry about besides the economy.
lownslo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
Paveran
Knee Dragger

There does seem to be a bit of light on the end of this tunnel, according to the interview conducted by FEMA with MEP Malcolm Harbour it looks like some of the more draconian parts of the proposed regulation (such as the aftermarket modifications) are to be deleted and will not make it into legislation...

"So let's be quite clear about this: drive train improvements or part replacements using aftermarket parts will continue to be allowed. In fact, I can tell you that amongst the MEPs most closely involved on the file, we are already agreed on deleting the bulk of Article 18 on anti-tampering.

Finally, relating to this, there are amendments calling for any modifications to the motorcycle to be checked by a competent authority, setting up national agencies to inspect emissions, but I really think these ideas will not meet with majority support, neither in the European Parliament, and definitely not in the Council of Ministers."

Have a look at the below link for the full interview:

http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?...t01returnid=57

This of course is not to say that we should rest easy and not take action to ensure that they don't make it into legislation!
Paveran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
banner41
Knee Dragger

That sounds a little better . Fingers crossed . .. Hopefully my CBR will still be able to run its akra after all .. And **** turpin can relax a bit :-)

Thanks for the update ..

Last edited by banner41; 06-17-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Yes, sounds a little less dramatic. Bike sales in Italy are down between 30-35% from last year from what I gather and it's been this way for a while so any stupid new rules are going to kill the market even more.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
St8kout
Knee Dragger

Yeah, but it's not unexpected though. Some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk is looking at statistics and decided that they know what is best for us.

It's like when I was shopping for a motorbike I wanted a 600rr, and found out that the insurance is sky-high for this particular model because of all the other people before me that crashed theirs. It did not matter that I've never crashed one. They set the rates according to statistics. I bit the bullet and bought my 600 with ABS and pay the higher than normal insurance rates because this is the bike I wanted.

I'm not sure why so many 600s are involved in accidents but the powers that be are going to keep increasing our insurance rates and the bureaucrats will keep passing new regulations on all of us if the stats keep telling them that too many people are getting injured or killed.
St8kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Simple people, immigrate to Aus...

Just.... don't come by boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement