Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Autocross

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  shylock 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever auto-crossed their bike ? there are no tracks where i am, only an abandoned airport that is used as a drag strip, how hard you guys think it will be to set up an autocross track??

#3 ·
well thats what i meant, i just call anything with cones autocross. any yes it can be set up on the runway and there will be no prob hitting 6th. they already do something like that there but dosent look to bike friendly

this is the place

Drags :

#5 ·
Watch top gear and do what they did and make a quick track... If you have any huge buildings I personally have Boeing with a major empty lot maybe talk to security and see if they will let you set cones up on the weekends or something and race around the empty lot..

I see a MSF course set up there all the time with plenty of room... But you have a runway so that's even better...

Also if your going to rip around I'd invest in some friends or something if someone goes down which will probably happen a time or 2 you can get help or call for EMT services maybe a tow truck.. If your alone don't push it as hard..

#6 ·
Ill take it easy if im alone.... ill use bottles to set up for the first time and if all goes well ill buy some cones and get other riders to come along.....but when making a track with cones, do the cones tell you the direction in which you have to turn ? if so how is this done

#7 ·
You won't ever get out of first gear with an average autocross set up on a 600rr. They sell small neon flat cones you could use in place of regular cones which you could set up in a large parking lot of some sort. I've always been very intrigued by the idea of having a sport bike "auto"cross as the existing timed events aren't really set up like mini road courses, they are much smaller and don't utilize high speed corning technique. I've seen some scooter races with good sized set ups, (more like road courses in large parking lots). I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. I'd do that way more than having to shell out hundreds of dollars for track days, or at least cut them down a bit. Unfortunately, you have to have a large nicely paved parking lot shut down, and who the hell is going to let you do that? Let alone people would be crashing like crazy and the paper work that would need to be filled out would be a pain in the ass.

#9 ·
doh!...repost ....but the guy is sharp..... and that type of riding does demo superior riding skills

for me it would be more fun on a smaller bike.

but would a 600 be any fun if that was all you could do?....

looks like they could get to top speed on that runway ....

they where landing C-5A s on that back in the 80's so it must be close to 3 miles long....

could make a nice course out of this...take some time to think it out....and do a good 3+ mile course.....the hardest part will be keeping the course clear of wanderers.

#10 ·
Thanks for posting that, I don't think anyone has even posted that video yet this week.

That is no different than any other common timed course in japan, and embarrassing enough, not much different than those silly timed police events in the us with giant harley's squeezing in between narrow sections of cones. As stated before, a good "auto cross" track with motorcycles would have to be quite large or to that of the same size of a full auto cross set up. To get some sense from it, those riders are still having to counter their body weight off from the bikes lean angle to compensate for lack of weight placement and speed because there isn't a strong enough gyroscopic pull keeping the bike up. Doesn't mean you'd be hanging off all the time, but it does mean you would be in certain sections; Otherwise a sport bike would be awful as compared to something like a super moto or naked bike with risers. It's just not meant to do it...

#14 ·
please include numerous turns that will get some slide/heat into the sides of the tire......

Maybe a roundabout style setup or series of r-l-r-l-r's to make it fun and challenge throttle and suspension control....?

keep thinking !

you are lucky to have access to something like this....in the USA this is not available anymore...(mostly for social irresponsibility issues).

avoid casualties at all costs!

charge riders x$/lap for "track safety" and hire a few marshalls.

offer a small prize at the end of the day....

#15 ·
Ive seen the video already, but its relevant and im no where near that skill level...thanks for all the help guys....ill like to work on making a course before i start worrying about planning events.... and insurance is not a problem because no biker that i know of has full coverage because its a ripoff (eg. US$800 a year and if you have to make a claim you have to pay 30% of what the bike is worth before get anything back)

#17 ·
go invest in a minimoto. a little kx65 or crf150r or similar. you're going to fall. and falling off of a little bike like that doesn't hurt at all. i think i had a total of about 700$ into my 65 all said and done. just some scooter tires and hand gaurds. get a few buddies together in a parking lot and you're good to go. Its some of the most fun ive ever had on 2 wheels. We used tennis balls cut in half for our course layout.

on a side note, i learned more on the mini in a parking lot that transferred directly to the track than i could ever learn on a big bike.

#18 ·
^ what he said. I just bought a kx65 for $700 from a friend so I can get my winter fix on some mini-motard races on indoor cart tracks. It was already setup with street tires, big bars, hand guards, exhaust, 2map ignition, and bore kit. It's crazy fast for such a small bike. I've ridden it a couple times and it scares the sh!t out of me, lol!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
i wish i could do that around here. lol. my only option is a month or 2 of ice. but the tires cost more then you guys have in your kx's lol

its a lot more fun to ride a small bike at its limits then to not be able to use 1/2 of your big bike limits.

#24 ·
The tennis balls were great after alot of trial and error. Easy to see, you can fit a dozen that are cut in half in a tennis ball can, But best of all, when you ran them over you still had grip on the surface. Those small cones or the little soccer domes would slide under a tire every single time.

crash, why couldnt you get a 65, throw some scooter tires on it with studs and run it on a frozen lake? I thought they just drilled the tires with screws and ran tubes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.