» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Exhaust & Fuel Delivery

Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
SniperFalkon
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
0-60 in 3 seconds?

I been reading up on this forum that some ppl get 0-60 in 3-4 seconds and....well...how the flying fuk? The bikes must not be stock as far as performance is concerned.

I guess what Im asking is:

1) Can a stock CBR 600 do that in 3-4 seconds?
2) Is this done all in 1st gear?
3) When is a good time to shift to 2nd to maintain/increase the speed

I recently hit 600 miles on my bike and had it serviced so I can now go a little crazy on it. I been trying to work on my fast acceleration and just cant seem to hit that mark or anywhere near it. My fastest clock was at 6-7seconds.

I know you cant just open the throttle right away, while stopped on 1st gear, you have to gradually open it until the bike starts moving and then you can jerk the throttle all the way. It seems that im wasting a good 1-2 seconds getting the bike to take off before applying full throttle.

Any advice to fix this riding error? Much appreciated :)
SniperFalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
kali_cbr600rr
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperFalkon View Post
I been reading up on this forum that some ppl get 0-60 in 3-4 seconds and....well...how the flying fuk? The bikes must not be stock as far as performance is concerned.

I guess what Im asking is:

1) Can a stock CBR 600 do that in 3-4 seconds?
2) Is this done all in 1st gear?

I recently hit 600 miles on my bike and had it serviced so I can now go a little crazy on it. I been trying to work on my fast acceleration and just cant seem to hit that mark or anywhere near it. My fastest clock was at 6-7seconds.

I know you cant just open the throttle right away, while stopped on 1st gear, you have to gradually open it until the bike starts moving and then you can jerk the throttle all the way. It seems that im wasting a good 1-2 seconds getting the bike to take off before applying full throttle.

Any advice to fix this riding error? Much appreciated :)
1st gear for sure, i haven't timed myself but have read on here that people with stock get like u mentioned around what u mentioned... am sure others will give you more info

---------------------------------------------------------------------
kali_cbr600rr - build/progress (2007 blue/silver)
kali_cbr600rr - GoPro/Video adventures

FOR SALE THREAD: Shields(2) & Shield Holder/Gloves (2)/Riding Pants/Tires (2) ~ CLICK HERE
kali_cbr600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
kali_cbr600rr
Moto GP Racer

from an earlier thread, top speed in 1st gear and 0-60 time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
I think is 72~75 mph
0-60 2.9 sec in case you need to know

kali_cbr600rr - build/progress (2007 blue/silver)
kali_cbr600rr - GoPro/Video adventures

FOR SALE THREAD: Shields(2) & Shield Holder/Gloves (2)/Riding Pants/Tires (2) ~ CLICK HERE
kali_cbr600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
SpdFrk
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Got close to redline in 1st this morning, looked down and was close to 70mph. Definitely didn't take 6-7 sec. Didn't time it, but definitely didn't take as long to get to 60mph as my M3, which can do 5 sec 0-60 all day.

OEM: Solo Seat Cowl ; CBR1000RR Rear Turn Signal Lenses
Akrapovic: Slip-On
Bazzaz: Z-Bomb
Cox Racing Group:
Radiator Guard
DDM Tuning: HID
Lawst Caws: Frame Plugs
Stompgrip: Frame Traction Pads
StreetSkinns: Custom Seat
TechSpec: Snake Skin Tank Grips ; Tank Pro
Tripage: Smoked REG IT ; 40-LED Pegs ; Knight Rider Third Light ; Brake Flasher ; LED Flasher Relay
Watsen Design: Micro Alloy LED Signals

Future Mods: Tripage LED Mirrors & Ultimate KR
SpdFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
love2ride
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You have to learn to launch it. Rev it up to 7k and slip the clutch and feed the power.

And yes it will do 60 in 1st gear around the 3-3.2 second range with a good rider.

| 2008 Ducati 1098 | 2009 Yamaha R6|

Past: 2004 Yamaha R1 | 2005 CBR600RR
love2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Eurodriver
AMA Supersport Racer

I did 0-122 MPH in ~10sec. Got it on video. 0-60 was 3 ish.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Honda states the 07/08 factory is 3.2 sec 0-60 but those are so wide and like MPG sometimes perfect conditions and sometimes realistic...

I've been told its possible but takes a good rider to hit the 3 sec mark with a perfec launch..

As for the first gear IIRC my first gear either got me to 45/50 MPH before redline.. So I'm assuming its 90% first and a jump into second..

Then I think I can go 50 to 120 in second.

And to get a great launch you'll probably need a strip with grip good fresh tires and learn to rev start.. But I'm sure its quicker than 5 to 6 sec off the line I've beat BMWs with 3 to 4 sec launch times no problem..

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
SniperFalkon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2ride View Post
You have to learn to launch it. Rev it up to 7k and slip the clutch and feed the power.

And yes it will do 60 in 1st gear around the 3-3.2 second range with a good rider.
sorry but what does "slip the clutch" mean? I dont know any of these terms if my life was depending on it.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
DynastySS
Knee Dragger

Seems like a strange thing to be concerned with, no? But if you are doing 0-60 in the 6 or 7 second range on a 600, something is catastrophically wrong with your bike or your wrist.
DynastySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Instead of just letting the clutch out, you gradually release it. If you were doing 7k and then just dropped it you are going to flip your bike. Its the same principle as doing it in a car...not sure if that helps lol. But basically you let it out until it starts to pull then slowly let it out the rest of the way.
lownslo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
SniperFalkon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastySS View Post
Seems like a strange thing to be concerned with, no? But if you are doing 0-60 in the 6 or 7 second range on a 600, something is catastrophically wrong with your bike or your wrist.
Thank you dynasty for the very informative and helpful comment. You are the main reason why ppl come into forums with help, expecting some advice and not only get a response but a great compliment! I can picture your life now...back to the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslo600 View Post
Instead of just letting the clutch out, you gradually release it. If you were doing 7k and then just dropped it you are going to flip your bike. Its the same principle as doing it in a car...not sure if that helps lol. But basically you let it out until it starts to pull then slowly let it out the rest of the way.
So what you are saying is when I start off I dont let the clutch out completely (keep it half way) and once I reach 7k rpm let the clutch out slowly?

Thank you for the post.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

OP you not knowin or understanding a hard launch makes me believe you shouldn't be concerned with this as of yet.. You still have A LOT to learn of the basics.. Let alone hard full launches...

Grab a riding/racing book and twist of the wrist and possibly a track day ticket. then start from there.

My YouTube channel.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
SniperFalkon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
OP you not knowin or understanding a hard launch makes me believe you shouldn't be concerned with this as of yet.. You still have A LOT to learn of the basics.. Let alone hard full launches...

Grab a riding/racing book and twist of the wrist and possibly a track day ticket. then start from there.
This is my 1st time on a sport bike yes...but to advance and learn I think I have to try new things instead of just driving the same way to work and back. This is a small issue but I'm more interested in it than having problems, I will eventually teach myself but what good is a forum with a lot of knowledgable riders if they don't share their experience and intelligence? I will setup a training course on track day next year, that is my next goal.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here but you are making me sound like I'm charging for some advice. If you feel like helping me out, cool...if not then you don't have to post off topic things. I understand I have a lot to learn but getting negative feedback isn't helping me reach my goal. I guess what sets us apart is that I always look to advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastySS View Post
Seems like a strange thing to be concerned with, no?
Not at all, we ride HIGH performance bikes for a reason...to enjoy the performance.
TheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

We're just trying to keep you alive and yes you should try new things but your going from just crawling to asking how to Olympic sprint literally.. We're not feeding your question because its almost stupid for us to explain to a newer rider how to hard launch fresh out the gate for street use.. There is no justified reason to need to hard launch on the street..

We're just being realistic with you not trying to give negative feedback. And you won't be using a hard launch at a track day.. You have roling starts and come out of the pits.. There is no grid like racing. I know your not going to take any of this advice but your looking way too far ahead too quick. So I've said my peace and take it for what it is.. Good luck with your riding.

My YouTube channel.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
smiley6111
Pocketbike Racer

IF your not clear on slipping the clutch get out there and try it. the way i do it is rev up to a steady RPM (7k) and began to let the clutch out and when you start moving slowly add more throttle while still releasing the clutch till you can completely let it out and you should be at WOT. it'll take time and practice so be patient and try not to loop it. and i try not to let the RPM drop below where i started. hope this helps
smiley6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
SniperFalkon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck_32 View Post
We're just trying to keep you alive and yes you should try new things but your going from just crawling to asking how to Olympic sprint literally.. We're not feeding your question because its almost stupid for us to explain to a newer rider how to hard launch fresh out the gate for street use.. There is no justified reason to need to hard launch on the street..
I appreciate everything you are saying and I understand. I been on bikes for about a year, I should make it clear that this is my 1st 600 bike. I read 1 too many horror stories from this forum to be out there riding recklessly. I been driving really carefully for a good year to understand the basics of a motorcycle and I think its time to expand my knowldege.

lol, Im not saying ima go out right now and hard launch out of my parking lot into the streets, but to know how it actually works and try it out on an empty street will be interesting and fun (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley6111 View Post
IF your not clear on slipping the clutch get out there and try it. the way i do it is rev up to a steady RPM (7k) and began to let the clutch out and when you start moving slowly add more throttle while still releasing the clutch till you can completely let it out and you should be at WOT. it'll take time and practice so be patient and try not to loop it. and i try not to let the RPM drop below where i started. hope this helps
Wow, so thats what it means. That makes complete sense to me now, thank you for sharing man.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Gashuffer
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
I appreciate everything you are saying and I understand. I been on bikes for about a year, I should make it clear that this is my 1st 600 bike. I read 1 too many horror stories from this forum to be out there riding recklessly. I been driving really carefully for a good year to understand the basics of a motorcycle and I think its time to expand my knowldege.

lol, Im not saying ima go out right now and hard launch out of my parking lot into the streets, but to know how it actually works and try it out on an empty street will be interesting and fun (I think).

Wow, so thats what it means. That makes complete sense to me now, thank you for sharing man.
Track it track it track it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #19
redrr308
AMA Supersport Racer

early this spring i was playing at a local raceway before our local club,mcra, was running this seasons track days. i was launching at 12k cutting .8 60' times with a 10.9 @ 142 on my 03. sub 4sec 0-60 is very doable. ill tell u a launch on a bike is crazy, its like being shot out of a cannon. i grew up on dirtbikes so holeshots just start slow dont go out and rev for the moon. launch at 4k then say 6k so on and so forth. be smooth on the clutch and throttle.
redrr308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #20
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
7K seems to be the sweet spot for my bike, any quick change around 7/7.5K = no jerking (which is good if you have a passenger as you won't keep knocking helmets together) plus it sounds good at 7k+

Also if you are trying to move up through the gears quickly, I find that when moving up into third and beyond, you can no clutch it smoothly if you are around the >7K <9K mark.

Doing so has its time and place, but I kind of worry about what it does to the gearbox so I always try and add a little clutch to every shift when on the street.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #21
Vicious M3
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdFrk View Post
Got close to redline in 1st this morning, looked down and was close to 70mph. Definitely didn't take 6-7 sec. Didn't time it, but definitely didn't take as long to get to 60mph as my M3, which can do 5 sec 0-60 all day.
+1 for having a cbr and a m3!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Vicious M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
MikeyP
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
LOL, my 1989 Honda Hurricane would do 0-60 in three seconds, twenty years ago. So, yes, the 600RR will do it, but more like 0-90 in 3 seconds.
2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
IPMAN
AMA Supersport Racer

once you get better at riding in general you can do 0-60 at those times easily without even thinking about it

0-60 is in first gear anyway so just get used to revving it higher

start doing track days you can learn how to use as much of the bikes performance and power as you are capable of and it's 100% more fun than the street

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
2013 Yamaha FRJ 1300A (Long Trips)

CMRA Novice #316
CMRA Light Weight Endurance #23

Riding Prayer - Thank you God for the privilege of riding, please watch over us riders and bring us home to our families every day. Give me strength to obey the laws, and stay vigilant and focused.
IPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
underoath1122
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Not at all, we ride HIGH performance bikes for a reason...to enjoy the performance.
Perfectly said

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

03 cbr 600 rr
underoath1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
iifetap
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32;

As for the first gear IIRC my first gear either got me to 45/50 MPH before redline.. So I'm assuming its 90% first and a jump into second.
If you are hitting redline at 45/50 in first gear you need to take your bike to the shop, not sure how so many people have missed this bit of information.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
iifetap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
NaturalPhenomenon
AMA Supersport Racer

I usally rev it to 4-5k release the clutch and open the thottle wide open. Brings the suspension up some but not to the point where the front wheel comes off the ground.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle.com Free App
NaturalPhenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
03cbr-rider
Moto GP Racer

You should be able to hit about 72 mph in first gear (at least indicated on an 03+). I've gone 0-60 in under 3 seconds with my 1991 cbr 600 4 years ago with nothing but a 3 up rear sprocket on my third try. It had more bottom end torque than a 600rr, but first gear wasn't as long. If you can't even achieve 3.2 or under on a 600rr, you are either a fat mother or just aren't very good at launching. It's not the bike, it's the rider.....
Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
SniperFalkon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmoore View Post
Watch and learn:
thx for the vidoe it all makes sense now.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #29
CBR Knight
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Honda states the 07/08 factory is 3.2 sec 0-60 but those are so wide and like MPG sometimes perfect conditions and sometimes realistic...

As for the first gear IIRC my first gear either got me to 45/50 MPH before redline.. So I'm assuming its 90% first and a jump into second..

Then I think I can go 50 to 120 in second
On my bike a 2008 graffiti with completely stock gearing, I pull 70 in first, 105 in second, 120 in third, 137 in fourth, 151 in fifth, and the highest I've been in sixth has been 160.
CBR Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #30
nurdie
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
A little insight: My '94 Accord 4door with a CAI does 0-60 in ~7seconds...........
:)
Advertisement