MOTYdesign 8 Cell Battery Review: NEW MODEL!!! - Page 3 : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > 600rr.net Product Reviews

600rr.net Product Reviews Use this section to provide a detailed review of new products.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #61
EHUnlucky7x9
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm ordering mine today! Is the polarity reversed +/- or is it standard -/+ for the 600RR's?
EHUnlucky7x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #62
BrowningBuck
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
Standard....

MOTYDesign lightweight battery
BrowningBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #63
Slammed
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHUnlucky7x9 View Post
I'm ordering mine today! Is the polarity reversed +/- or is it standard -/+ for the 600RR's?
You won't be disappointed
Slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #64
spiritofkaos1
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
got an email this morning saying mine shipped. stoked.

SGT Mario Kawika Deleon
05.11.80 - 04.16.07

team white.

2009 phoenix - crashed [june BOTM winner]
2007 all white - the current ride
1997 328i - protection from the elements

www.facebook.com/spiritofkaos1
spiritofkaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #65
struckbylitenin
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I placed another order with MOTYDesign recently.

I received this back on the 9th...

Got another battery, AND the charger. yeah buddy
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #66
struckbylitenin
Moto GP Racer

can you tell I like MOTYDesign?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #67
BrowningBuck
Moto GP Racer

hahahahah that white one is OLD school! i remember when i was playing with different packaging and such. I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS that were there for us back when we just got started! Just so you guys know MOTYDesign.com has done everything possible to give back to the bike world that we can. recently we sponsored the AM GTO race for the Miller Motorsports park race series Masters of the Mountains. we thought helping keep the UtahSBA racing while other clubs were dying this year was the best way to keep our customers doing what they love to do. maybe someday when we get bigger we can reach out further, but at the moment we live day by day and currently sit as a non profit company (truthfully everyone that is part of MOTY actually gives A LOT MORE than they receive) ( THANK YOU Brooke, Michael, Lindsey, Shane,Pete, Ameen, and few good others!)

Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #68
riot
Ain't Even Excited

So awesome Brian!!!

I've loved my battery! Extremely solid product. And dealing with you has been nothing but a pleasure.

I hope this takes you far bro, you deserve it!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #69
B3N
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBuck View Post
we dont suggest leaving a tender on the battery for prolonged periods of time, but we have two years of testing on them and they have been fine.
I'd just like to be clear on this.. I have a Battery Tender 12V Junior. If I was to leave that on overnight (Lets say most nights or an extended period of time over winter for a worst-case/emergency scenario), that would cause problems? If this battery was to lose its charge, could my tender be used to recharge it back for normal use.

Sorry for some (possibly) dumb questions, but I am currently looking around for alternatives to stock. I did look on the website but figured I could get some added clarification here.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #70
struckbylitenin
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3N View Post
I'd just like to be clear on this.. I have a Battery Tender 12V Junior. If I was to leave that on overnight (Lets say most nights or an extended period of time over winter for a worst-case/emergency scenario), that would cause problems? If this battery was to lose its charge, could my tender be used to recharge it back for normal use.

Sorry for some (possibly) dumb questions, but I am currently looking around for alternatives to stock. I did look on the website but figured I could get some added clarification here.

Like I believe Brian stated before, you can charge it as long as it hasn't dropped below a certain level where the cells become damaged. What ISNT recommended is to leave them charging when they are fully already charged as this will also damage them. Unless the tender can be set for those specs and to stop charging upon reaching a certain level, I wouldn't recommend to "set it and forget it" during the winter.

I'm sure he'll chime in soon. If anything, you could just get a proper charger like I did, which he offers on his site as well. And the balancing feature on it is nice to have too.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #71
B3N
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
Like I believe Brian stated before, you can charge it as long as it hasn't dropped below a certain level where the cells become damaged. What ISNT recommended is to leave them charging when they are fully already charged as this will also damage them. Unless the tender can be set for those specs and to stop charging upon reaching a certain level, I wouldn't recommend to "set it and forget it" during the winter.

I'm sure he'll chime in soon. If anything, you could just get a proper charger like I did, which he offers on his site as well. And the balancing feature on it is nice to have too.
He did mention a little about this but I just wanted more details if possible. I did see he does offer a charger and i'll be looking into that tomorrow some more.

But....
Nevermind about all of this though, I think... The website says "LiFePo4" which I'm prettty sure is some type of lithium iron battery. The tender says its designed for "lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel)" so I believe its also safe to assume that the battery tender I have really shouldn't be used for extended periods of time with the MOTY but some kinds of "emergency" situations it would most likely work.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #72
struckbylitenin
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3N View Post
He did mention a little about this but I just wanted more details if possible. I did see he does offer a charger and i'll be looking into that tomorrow some more.

But....
Nevermind about all of this though, I think... The website says "LiFePo4" which I'm prettty sure is some type of lithium iron battery. The tender says its designed for "lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel)" so I believe its also safe to assume that the battery tender I have really shouldn't be used for extended periods of time with the MOTY but some kinds of "emergency" situations it would most likely work.
When I didnt have the charger, I would only hook up the tender maybe twice during the winter for a little bit just to keep it from dropping too low (the battery has a meter). I learned the hard way with the 1st one I got (the white one) when the charge dropped too low and damaged the cells.

A question for BB,
Would I be able to remove the meter from the one battery and plug it into the new one with the balancing plug to see its current charge level w/o using the charger?
Both plugs appear to be the same but I wanted ask you before experimenting.
And by doing so, could the plug with the meter be used for balancing the older the battery if I take off the meter?
I hope this makes sense... i need to go to sleep
Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #73
v-tec crx
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just wanted to bump my thread with a further review and my impressions of this battery so far:

It definately seems to turn over the engine a little quicker than an OEM lead acid.

I used this battery since the riding season started. some mornings I rode to work and it was 2'C out (about 36'f ???) the battery started the bike just like it was 25'C out (85'F???) No trouble at all!!!

The hard case makes the battery a bit taller than his shrink wrap bettery and the OEM battery strap actually works to keep the battery in one place (could be a bit tighter, but it does the job)

All in all: I love this new hard case battery.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #74
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Awesome my battery ain't holding charge no more. I'm going with this

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #75
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Can we get an update ?

Would the 12 cell battery fit in our 600rr bikes ?

Edit- looks like it will.

I think I will go with the 12 cell battery instead. Due to the fact that I have a 12v socket install, and also need the extra juice for my heated gears, and my alarm .

Thoughts fellas ?

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."

Last edited by Nuttynu; 03-07-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #76
BrowningBuck
Moto GP Racer

the 12 fits in the oem case the QD is a bit tight in the battery box, so i think if you are set on the 12 id go with the OEM case standard polarity.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrowningBuck For This Useful Post:
Nuttynu (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #77
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Thank you. Will be placing order soon.

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #78
jpatrosso
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
MOTYdesign 8 Cell Battery Review: NEW MODEL!!!

Big thank you to Brian at MOTY...

I have purchased 3 of his 8 cell batteries in the past. 1 is currently in my 600RR track bike, 1 was included in a bike sale and 1 is in my new 1000RR. Absolutely love them and have never had an issue. They are very lightweight, much smaller than oem, always hold a charge, have never had to be put on a tender and they crank the engine over so much better.

When I purchased my new 1000RR, I made sure to grab my older MOTY battery out of the 600 that I traded in. When I went to swap it in to the new bike, I noticed that the 1000 had a setup which needed the posts to be opposite of the 600. The terminal wires on the bike are so short that there was no way to make it work while still sitting the battery securely.

I messaged Brian about if he sold a battery with terminals that were opposite and instead of a reply with a new part number and price, I received a great response that I was not ready for! He offered to dissemble my battery, swap the posts and re wrap it. All he asked was that I ship it to him! SOLD!

In less than a weeks time, I shipped the battery back, he received it, did the required modification and it was back in my hands! He also tested each cell and had a perfect status report to provide me. After over 2 years and a lot of use, my battery is still in perfect condition.

Customer for life... Highly recommend this battery as a replacement over stock for both street and track use!

Thanks Brian!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
1994 CBR 600 RR SOLD
jpatrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpatrosso For This Useful Post:
BrowningBuck (03-16-2013), Nuttynu (03-16-2013), Sun-Zoom-Spark (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #79
Omarko
Knee Dragger

bought one of these http://motydesign.com/product.php?ba...8-cell-battery

and just received it today, thanks MOTYD for super fast shipping.

I installed it and was surprised to see with how much energy the bike fired up ! I admit that my stock Pb battery was getting old (4 years).

the only question I have is what happens if it goes flat if I am not riding the bike ? How can I charge it since its LiFePo4 ?
Omarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #80
BrowningBuck
Moto GP Racer

first of all Omarko, be sure you read the instructions. the LiFe chemistry has limitations. these are not the snake oil products that the other companies are making them out to be, they have certain limitations. the 2 things that they dont do as well as lead batteries is resistance to over and under charging. if you allow the battery to go flat, you have put the battery in a situation of shorted. at this point the chemistry starts to change physically inside the cells and they are no longer capable of holding a charge.

With proper maintenace (meaning if the bike is going to sit for more than a month) disconnect the battery's + terminal. Also insure your bike doesnt have an parasitic draws as these will deplete the amp hours as the bike sits and will cause the short situation above.

if you leave your key on and your bikes lights are dimming, the best thing to do is ride the bike or put the battery on a battery tender Jr or similar 12v smart car charger. this will insure the battery doest start that physical change. if you left it on over night... there probably isnt much youll be able to do about it. This information is true of ALL light weight batteries available and slightly true of even lead batteries.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #81
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Talking

Just ordered my 8cell QD.

Can't wait . Will post some pics up .

Cherrs

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #82
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Wow amazing battery.havent install it yet. But size and weight wise, this battery is awesome.

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #83
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

iphone 5 w. otter box

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #84
maxvelox
Training Wheel Hero

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to getting this bad boy in!
maxvelox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #85
G.LOW
Training Wheel Hero

This was the best mod I made to my bike.
G.LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #86
Xer0_XIII
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the review V-tec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Time View Post
Nice review man, nice to see those track pics too ;) For sure i will be picking up one of his Batteries down the road, same goes for the awesome gauge (gear indicator) mod
Ditto on both!!
Xer0_XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #87
nastygear7
Training Wheel Hero

you didnt happen to use your oem fairings as track fairings?
nastygear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement