» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Maintenance

Maintenance Maintenance advice and questions are here

Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Problem bleeding front brakes

I was bleeding my brakes out today after noticing abnormal squishiness in my front brakes.

Pretty much, I'm unable to bleed my front brakes on the right side. The left side bled quick and easy, and I ended up having to bleed the Master Cylinder, and the brakes lines from the bolt connecting the brake line to the caliper. I was unable to bleed the air out of the caliper.

Problem: when loosening the bleeder valve on my right caliper and attempting to bleed my lines, i get air being introduced from the base of the valve (the threads). I tried a pump and the old manual method for bleeding and was unsuccessful in using the bleeder valve.

My left caliper and rear brakes went fine.

This is extremely frustrating. Has anyone seen this or know what might be the issue? I might end up replacing my calipers if I can't figure this out.

-Obi
Ldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
bejbis
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ive had this problem before. It just takes more time.

you can do it with one of those vacuum pump bleeders just keep a pretty constant vacuum on the system. Usually though its much easier to get someone else to pump the brake lever and have them hold it and only release the bleed screw and tighten it before fluid stops coming out.
bejbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
XSNRG
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yea its way easier when someone else can pump the lever for you. They can also keep an eye on the reservoir and top it up. When i bleed by myself i just loosen the bleeder and pump until fluid constantly comes out, then I do the pump and hold after.

A hose over the bleeder allow it to pull back fluid instead of air. I've never had it suck air at the threads. Maybe some insulation tape on the bleeder thread may help.

Last edited by XSNRG; 11-18-2012 at 06:50 PM.
XSNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
VT733
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I bought a vacuum pump...what a waste of money. For me, it is only good for sucking out all the old fluid when you are changing lines, mc, and/or calipers. It took me forever to get the air out. I guess I could have been doing it wrong but it seems to me that I have much more control over everything when just doing the old fashion/manual method. I can do it in about 5mins and with much less brake fluid the manual way, and probably an hour with the damn vacuum pump.

op did you replace the bleeder valves? Is there thread tape on them?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I replaced the bleeder valve and was able to get all the air out and get good pressure on my brakes again. Extremely frustrating and very messed but they work again so I can't be too mad.

Next step is upgrading my hoses to braided lines.

I was using a manual vacuum pump at first and ended up just doing it the good old manual way. Pain in the ass doing it solo but I still got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Fox Motorsports Racing
http://obmoto.com
Special thanks to my sponsors Fox Motorsports Racing, ReplayXD, Sunstar Sprockets and Chains, RaceTech Corona, AMSOIL and Braking.
Ldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement