Fraud/False Pretenses - Need Opinions : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Dizzymagoo
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fraud/False Pretenses - Need Opinions

Alright guys and gals I have a question for you.

Recently I purchased a 2002 Volkswagen Golf GTI 337. The car has been built and was in great shape for being 10 years old. About 4 days after purchasing it the coolant return y valve split and caused a bunch of major issues. When I contacted the seller(We had been in contact the past couple days) I said "Oh hey just so you know you had a bad coolant line." he simply replied "Yeh on the passenger side return". I'm really pissed that this guy didn't even mention that the $11 part was broken. Keep in mind the guy had told me about the fuel pump problems and I was still more than willing to purchase the car. Do you guys think there is anyway that LEGALLY I could go after this guy for selling a vehicle under False Pretenses or Fraud?

My reasoning behind this is that he knew about the issue and failed to even briefly mention anything regarding it. Also on his bill of sale he didn't put "As Is".

Thanks in advance!
Dizzymagoo

Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
weStTXgrEase_mOnKay
I'm a pretty lady!!!

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
That's a good a** question. I like good a** questions. Keep them coming yo!!!

2W1R elCapitan

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try!"
Alexander the Great

"You can go to hell, I'm going to TEXAS!!" Davy Crockett

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Happy Catholic

weStTXgrEase_mOnKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
X-treme1
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do since it was a private seller. He can just claim he forgot to mention it, which he really may have. A used car is considered sold 'as is' unless otherwise stated. If it were a dealer, you could say they should have caught it in their inspection.

2010 Leyla
X-treme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
wckedIntentions
BOTM winner 11/12

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Technically I guess you could "go after" anyone you want for anything, doesn't mean you will win. Although I agree that it was a **** move on his part not to mention it, you already stated that it was "only an $11 part".

Why would you go after someone over an $11 part?
wckedIntentions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
ChrisR.Conley
Pocketbike Racer

Agreed. Can't do a whole lot when buying a used car. With any car, you don't really know what might break and when. With a new car you are covered with a warranty. But you pretty much have nothing with a used car. Hopefully you don't experience any other problems. I will still always buy used cars. Can't imagine spending 40k on a Mustang or 60k on a Vette...
ChrisR.Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
X-treme1
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR.Conley View Post
Can't imagine spending 60k on a Vette...
More like 70K, I've checked! Thinking about getting a used one for around 35K.

2010 Leyla
X-treme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
bejbis
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If he told you about more major things id assume it probably just slipped his mind.

What other major issues arose from the part that popped?
bejbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
PattyK
Pocketbike Racer

I don't think you could do much. If he actually knew there was something wrong and hid it from you, then you may have a case. Unfortunately you don't really have a way to prove it. I would say save yourself the legal headache for now.
PattyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
ckalous422
AMA Supersport Racer

If you could prove that he knew it had failed or would fail very soon then you would have some grounds to take legal action. But unless he admits that he knew it was broken or that it would fail very soon after sale there is nothing you can do... all he has to say is that the coolant piece was in that same condition when he bought it and it just happened to break after you bought it, sorry but you are kinda outta luck
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Dizzymagoo
AMA Supersport Racer

He wrote to me in text message the stuff that I typed in my original post. I have it all in writing him telling me that he didn't say anything about it. What I mean't by "its only an $11 part" is that it wouldn't have stopped me from purchasing the vehicle. I just would like to known about it before hand to prevent further issues. My main reason was that after this part broke and I fixed it and filled the car back up with coolant I couldn't get it to start. Thinking that issue was related to the coolant line breaking I was curious as to what type of legal action I might be able to get away with. After more investigation turns out the flywheel seperated from the ring gear. Bad timing for both things to go wrong at the same time.

Oh well, lighter and more efficient flywheel here I come!

Thank you for your opinions and help!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
COBRA90GT
World Superbike Racer

Lightbulb

As with any used purchase, caveat emptor.

COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
wckedIntentions
BOTM winner 11/12

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymagoo View Post
He wrote to me in text message the stuff that I typed in my original post. I have it all in writing him telling me that he didn't say anything about it. What I mean't by "its only an $11 part" is that it wouldn't have stopped me from purchasing the vehicle. I just would like to known about it before hand to prevent further issues. My main reason was that after this part broke and I fixed it and filled the car back up with coolant I couldn't get it to start. Thinking that issue was related to the coolant line breaking I was curious as to what type of legal action I might be able to get away with. After more investigation turns out the flywheel seperated from the ring gear. Bad timing for both things to go wrong at the same time.

Oh well, lighter and more efficient flywheel here I come!

Thank you for your opinions and help!

Well that's a horse of a different color... I recently found myself on the loosing end of a used vehicle purchase as well, and I used to be a GM certified tech. Sometimes it's bad luck or bad timing, sometimes people overlook things... I overlooked something when i purchased, and I'm guessing the previous owner knew about it considering the way it was "hidden". (Took out the bulb in the cluster for the check engine light) Fighting him legally might have been an option, but I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle and unlikely that I could win anyways...

Sorry about your misfortune, especially with the flywheel. That really sucks. Win some, loose some I guess. Best of luck getting her back up and running though...
wckedIntentions is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement