Speedo Users Read (need help) : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Speedo Users Read (need help)

So after installing the 520 -1/+2 kit. I installed the speedo. My percentages were off by 15% so everything is good and dandy.

Here is where the problem is, when i am riding at high speeds 65-75 my bike will start to lose throttle power. If i ease off the throttle the will go down till i decide to give it throttle again, but when i tried to give it more throttle to speed up, the bike is not going anywhere. The needle climbs up but the speed is not reading. Eventually after about doing the repeated steps like 3-4 times the bike shuts off and the check engine light comes on. (that little boat looking light LOL)

But when i pull over to stop and check if there are leaks there are none. If i tried to start it up right away it does not start, but after giving it a min or two it'll start back again.

My buddy said it was an electronic problem, so i took out the speedo and rode back home (20+ miles) and zero problems. So this leads me to the speedo being the problem.

When i checked the max speed on the bike it says 91 (holding the button down and seeing 1 red blink). So would the bike having a max of 91 be the cause of the shut off? Looking at the gauge i was going 65-75 before the stated above problems occuried. And doing a 520 conversion kills your top end that much? At most i thought it would lower would be like 10-20 or something. Don't our bikes top out at 160ish or something?

Has anyone experienced this or know how to fix it? Did i get a faulty unit? etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
CBR Time
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Odd, i installed my DRD Speedo (from MM) after installing my 520 -1+2 (12% off) and have zero probs, id try to unplug it and re prog first, if same result then return it? where did you get it from btw?
CBR Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

reprogram? As in the do reset right?

Hold button, turn on bike (but not start), wait till light hits orange then let go?

if that i did that 2x, then i re-entired my percentage correction.

I bought it from Motomummy, bought it with the Driven 520 conversion kit
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
sjpm03
AMA Supersport Racer

That's crazy. I also bought my speedo drd from motomummy . No issues. Have had it on now for a year, set and reset a few times with changes to my sprocket and have not had any issues with losing power at speed. Be interesting to hear what the issue may be. Might be a faulty drd. Who knows

not sent from an iPhone 5
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
CBR Time
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
ok, maybe try to unplug it ( i know its a pita to get to ) but worth a try? also might want to try dis battery, just trying to cover all areas before you send it back?
CBR Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
sjpm03
AMA Supersport Racer

sorry, just read the last part of your post. If your top speed is reading 91 from the drd but needle is only between 65-75 then it sounds like the calculations you did may have been off. I had my GPS next to my speedo to check the difference in speeds when I installed it. What numbers are you Getting +/- difference between what your speedo is reading and what your actually running with new setup?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpm03 View Post
sorry, just read the last part of your post. If your top speed is reading 91 from the drd but needle is only between 65-75 then it sounds like the calculations you did may have been off. I had my GPS next to my speedo to check the difference in speeds when I installed it. What numbers are you Getting +/- difference between what your speedo is reading and what your actually running with new setup?

thats what i did too. I took a phone with velcro and used a GPS app and calculated the percentage. When going 40 my GPS read 34 therefore 15%. I'll reinstall it tomorrow and try again. I'll go 1 day without it and see if it shorts or not, just to help rule out the speedo. Then on tuesday i'll put it back in and test it.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
sjpm03
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
thats what i did too. I took a phone with velcro and used a GPS app and calculated the percentage. When going 40 my GPS read 34 therefore 15%. I'll reinstall it tomorrow and try again. I'll go 1 day without it and see if it shorts or not, just to help rule out the speedo. Then on tuesday i'll put it back in and test it.

Just went through their FAQ and ran by this.. You could try this out and see if it is a reason why your actual speed differed from your set speed by as much as you said. I dont remember who told me, but it was to use 60MPH as the mark to set this thing up.. I guess the info below explains.

Also, IMO cell phone GPS are not as accurate as an actual GPS , I.E. Garmin, Tom Tom. Cell GPS tend to run off of cell towers and not actual satellites which does make them more inefficient. Unless your phone has the option to disable using cell towers for GPS and to run off true GPS then I would try another. I suction cupped my Garmin next to my speedo.

From 12oClockLabs FAQ:

Will my Speedometer be accurate at all speeds using the SpeedoDRD?

Yes, the SpeedoDRD corrects your speed based on a percentage of error, you may have noticed your speedometer error increases the faster you are traveling. Example: if your GPS reads 54mph while your Speedometer reads 60mph, that's a difference of 6mph and 10%, now when your GPS reads 108mph, your speedometer will read 120mph, your now off 12mph, but it's still 10% of error. For this reason SpeedoDRD uses percentages to correct your speedometer error. There are some rare circumstances where you may notice your speedometer itself has some slight linearity error, speedometers usually have no more than 1% to 2% linearity error, if any. Other things to consider when calibrating your SpeedoDRD is the accuracy of your GPS device, most GPS devices are accurate to about 1% or better at speeds of 55mph or higher, at lower speeds your GPS device can start to have in-accuracy anywhere from 1 to 14%, with higher in-accuracy the slower you are moving, and also higher in-accuracy depending on satellite signal strength. Also, another thing to consider is that most vehicles speedometers usually only give whole number readouts, as well as most GPS devices, thus when your GPS or vehicle speedometer reads 55mph, you could be traveling 55.0mph or 55.9mph, when calculating your error percentage at multiple speeds remember to take this into consideration, this situation as well as possible GPS accuracies, may very well account for any suspected speedometer dis-linearity.
Hsunami (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

i used the phone GPS prior to doing the conversion. The GPS is spot on with my original gauge.

Imma still test it one more day without the speedo. I'm just stumped on why my bike would act this way.

but thank you for looking in their FAQ.

i'm just wishing i can replicate this problem at low speeds instead of on the freeway on high speeds...... dangerous with all the traffic midday. I was surprised i even got off the freeway with my bike OFF.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
motomummy
Vendor

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
unplug the speedodrd and see if the problem goes away. Also check all your connenctions. Also zero our the speedodrd so it makes no changes or makes like less then a 1% change. This should help you diagnose if it's a hardware issue, connection issue, or programming issue.

Check us out on Facebook too.
motomummy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motomummy For This Useful Post:
sjpm03 (11-20-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

"Here is where the problem is, when i am riding at high speeds 65-75 my bike will start to lose throttle power. If i ease off the throttle the will go down till i decide to give it throttle again, but when i tried to give it more throttle to speed up, the bike is not going anywhere. The needle climbs up but the speed is not reading. Eventually after about doing the repeated steps like 3-4 times the bike shuts off and the check engine light comes on. (that little boat looking light LOL)

But when i pull over to stop and check if there are leaks there are none. If i tried to start it up right away it does not start, but after giving it a min or two it'll start back again."

Updated
So this problem is back.....but i do not have the speedo installed....i was just on the local street i think 2nd or 3rd gear and i started losing throttle response/power again when i downshifted to get to first with braking i believe at the 5-10mph mark the bike just shut off and gave the check engine light again. Same as before, no oil was spilling out.

And i did not reinstall the speedo but i did go down last sunday in the canyons. Thats when the problem started and i thought it was the sparkplugs so i switched those out and after 2-3 days of no problems it started again as i was coming home.

I am at 19200ish miles right now.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
tary preisser
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ground issue?

have a pcv?
tary preisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement