Contour roam vs Ego (liquid image) : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Contour roam vs Ego (liquid image)

So I'm looking at getting one of the less expensive video cameras - one of the 2 listed above. What I'm most interested in is how to mount them. I'd like to have one sitting under the screen if possible, facing forward and not showing any info from the gauges (or adjustable to show it). I'd also consider a fork mount if that's realistic, but I'd like to keep it away from any water. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially what mounts to get.

I'm not interested in super high quality because it's a waste of money in my opinion if you're not also willing to spend the money on editing software (although I suppose there are free versions), but more importantly, the huge amount of time and effort it takes to edit a good vid. The cam is just to record some trips of nice places I visit, learn a little about how I ride and for safety in the event of need of a recording.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
FightingChance
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If you're concerned about rolling shutter, mounting it to your helmet effectively cures that (and makes for more interesting videos.)

For a through-screen mount, there are some that use the hollow of the stem nut on the top triple, and others that mount off the ring around the fuel cap.
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FightingChance For This Useful Post:
Maaku (11-21-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
bejbis
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I like the contour as a helmet cam, the video is pretty good and the frontal profile on the lid is minimal.
bejbis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bejbis For This Useful Post:
Maaku (11-21-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

u can also look up the sony action cam. Price isn't too bad too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hsunami For This Useful Post:
Maaku (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
If you're concerned about rolling shutter, mounting it to your helmet effectively cures that (and makes for more interesting videos.)

For a through-screen mount, there are some that use the hollow of the stem nut on the top triple, and others that mount off the ring around the fuel cap.
Thanks, I've seen a few here. I was hoping to attach the camera to the screen with a suction cup or something. Not sure how practical this is. Is there an easy way to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejbis View Post
I like the contour as a helmet cam, the video is pretty good and the frontal profile on the lid is minimal.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
u can also look up the sony action cam. Price isn't too bad too.
Will check it out, thanks. I'm not a fan of Sony, but I'll consider anything out there.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

watch those comparison videos. Wish the gopro would put the stablizers that the sony action cam has. It would be $$$
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Yeah, I've looked at a few, thanks. Now that I think about it, it'd be near impossible to get a suction cup to stick to the screen unless I was able to create a flat area by adding something else, which defeats the purpose. Now thinking maybe I can clip something on to the end of the screen, then hang the camera from that. Otherwise it'll need to be something with a fuel cap attachment.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

So I bought the Contour Roam in the end as I got it for a lot less. I'm not Steven Spielberg so he FPS won't make much difference and I don't have the time to edit video. I was wondering if anyone had managed to attach it to the bolt that the screen is attached to the front fairing (left side to avoid res) with using a piece of aluminum or something. I guess this might result in a lot of vibration. I'd like to have the protection of the screen, but an unobstructed view. If not, can a small suction cup mount be stuck to the bottom of the screen?

If neither of these options is a go, I'll use a gas cap mount like the one .bolink linked to in another thread.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
tary preisser
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buy a windscreen and just drill holes through it.....

simple safe secure.

can find 2nds and used for cheapppppp!
tary preisser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
Maaku (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
buy a windscreen and just drill holes through it.....

simple safe secure.

can find 2nds and used for cheapppppp!
Good point, thanks! That was staring me in the face, but I wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it. I'll see how it goes on the triple first, then go to this if I need to.