Having now rode the bike at the weekend, it definitely feels much better with the correct top yoke allowing the front ride height to be restored and not being so much on it's nose. It just feels so much more planted.
The changes to the intake, exhaust and pciii map have also had a significant improvement, pulling harder and cleaner to the new 14k peak, and it's gained an awesome induction roar too.
So, to summarise, from when I started the main part of this project, the bike now handles better, goes better, stops better and looks better
I must admit that I'm very proud of my acheivements on this bike. It has been my first major project, and with only a couple of exceptions all the work has been done by myself, which is an even greater feat when you understand that I don't have a garage and all the work is done 'al fresco'
There's a part of me that is sad due to the bike being finished, as for the most part it has been a great learning experience and a fun way to spend some spare time, but, on the flip side, I'm also glad that it's all finished as I can sit back and enjoy what I have done, my wallet is also glad it's over too, I never realised you could spend so much money on so realitively little.
After experiencing (and ignoring) high running temperatures for the last few years, I noticed that this year things have been getting worse quicker.
Having a good poke around seems to indicate that the head gasket is failing despite no oil/water problems, just running hot and losing water and not to mention air bubbles appearing in the overflow bottle when the engine is revved.
So I bit the bullet and decided that the engine needs to come out, I had already taken off the fairings, the exhaust, most of the cooling system and the fuel tank, then it was onto unknown territory
First off, the ecu, the secondary fuel injectors and fuel rail
The onto the airbox
After that was the main fuel injectors and throttle bodies
Throttle bodies off...what next ?
Oh so many wires
Thermostat housing off along with the rest of the coolant hoses
Loom tucked out of harms way....where does it all go ?
Time to get busy with the Dremel......special Honda tool required
5 mins later
New Honda CBR600RR Superleggera
It was encouraging that it all went straight forward. Next job is to get the cylinder head off and hopefully find the cause of the issues. I'm also thinking that whist it is like this I should do the valve clearances and anything that is on the service schedule.
I'm also thinking of stripping the rest of the bike down and painting the frame and making the whole bike mint.
During this period of rest for the bike (will be into next year before trackdays again) there are other jobs to do to....brake fluid needs changing, might as well change the pads too...infact might get some newer/cleaner calipers too. Might even see if my 'budget' can extend to a slipper clutch too.
Today saw the stripdown of the top end of the engine
1 complete engine
Plugs, coils and leads removed, then off with the cam cover
Timing aligned to the correct marks
Camshaft mounting brackets removed
Buckets and shims removed
Bucket/shim holder that doubles up as an ice cube tray
Head off and this is the view of the top of the block
Underside of the head, with the gasket still in place
Gasket placed onto block
To be honest it's not the picture that I had imagined. I wanted to see the gasket showing clear signs of failing so I could easily identify the problem area, then get a new gasket and rebuild. As it stands now, I'm not entirely sure that the gasket is the cause of the water problems. 2nd opinions have now to be sought.