Another dotnet speculation thread: Mars Curiosity Rover : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
sincalirider
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,180 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Another dotnet speculation thread: Mars Curiosity Rover

As with dot net tradition to go overboard on speculation let us change the subject from motorcycles to space.

If you haven't heard, NASA has announced historic news to be released in December. (How polite of them to let us enjoy our Thanksgiving Holiday first) So with the internet rampant over what they could have found I thought it would be interesting to see what the forum here thinks it could be.

Will it be Aliens with slipper clutches? A UFO with center up exhaust? Or life on Mars has been discontinued?

Lets see some insight, whether it's serious or not is up to you.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
HighzerOfLife
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Its going to news like "we found evidence that there could possibly have been the factors that may have been able to host extreme condition life forms."

super vague but throws everyone into a tailspin thinking there were aliens on mars.
HighzerOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
sincalirider
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,180 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighzerOfLife View Post
Its going to news like "we found evidence that there could possibly have been the factors that may have been able to host extreme condition life forms."

super vague but throws everyone into a tailspin thinking there were aliens on mars.
I thought of that angle too. Something that would only support a theory but not confirm it. I don't know how they could sit on "We found sample of organic life form" under wraps for that long. That's just too ground breaking.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its going to be like all the horror movies. 10 seconds of web cam footage of something appearing in the camera before it mysteriously looses feed. They 6 months from now they figure out that. Then they bring it back, but it brings back some black ooze with it and bam enter Venom!
lownslo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
HighzerOfLife
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
I thought of that angle too. Something that would only support a theory but not confirm it. I don't know how they could sit on "We found sample of organic life form" under wraps for that long. That's just too ground breaking.
yuppp if it was super ground breaking they wouldnt keep it under wraps.
HighzerOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
crotch_rocket_pilot

It's pickles. You heard it here first.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
Dynamic
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why are they waiting with the release of this historic news, it's not like everyone is anticipating it like the iPhone 5.

But here's my speculation, they found a footprint of some sort...........or an alien life form drew some boobs in the sand as a joke.

Edit: they found a thousand year old dried up piece of poop.

Last edited by Dynamic; 11-23-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
They found Reptar on Mars!
Ldn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
crotch_rocket_pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Why are they waiting with the release of this historic news, it's not like everyone is anticipating it like the iPhone 5.

But here's my speculation, they found a footprint of some sort...........or an alien life form drew some boobs in the sand as a joke.

Edit: they found a thousand year old dried up piece of poop.

They are likely pouring through data to confirm the initial findings on something. As to why they let us know before reaching confirmation? To drum up excitement of course. Our space program, which once inspired people, is on life support. NASA barely gets any government support these days. We would be on Mars by now if NASA had the same level of support it did in the 60's and 70's. It's sad. There are so few things society cherishes anymore in the mass media that are substantial and of substance. We all care about Kim K.'s booty and biased two party politics. But science and the pursuit of knowledge? Forget about it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Dynamic (11-24-2012), Inkslingerxx (11-28-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,359 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Great thread!!!!!! I'm so curious I can hardly stand it. I've been a BIG fan of NASA and the space programs since I was a little kid.
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
crotch_rocket_pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Great thread!!!!!! I'm so curious I can hardly stand it. I've been a BIG fan of NASA and the space programs since I was a little kid.
I can't agree more! Same here. The space program has always fascinated me.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
CBR Time
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
a cam will show Felix Baumgartner attemping a free fall from Mars, LOL sorry had to say it, in all seriousness though. it def sounds interesting, proof of exsiting life would be crazy! tracks in the sand sort of thing??
CBR Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have seen some good twitter posts about what people think curiosity found - most are to do with Twinkies...

Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Whatever it is though, I hope you don't have to be a geologist in order to get excited about it... unless it's fossils... fossils would be cool.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #15
NHayes815
Pocketbike Racer

Being someone that has worked on rovers for NASA it is not surprising that they keep a lot on the dl, in the beginning they like to check everything over and over to be sure, the next problem comes with releasing to much info; too little and nobody believes, too much conspiracies start. As for what the found my guess is potential for life: water (ice), maybe gold and we will all be rich haha jk

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
NHayes815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #16
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

^^ Gold would be cool, nothin gets a planet colonised faster than a gold rush
Old 11-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #17
havok289
Pocketbike Racer

Gold wouldn't be that surprising, gold is everywhere, considering how much is on this planet it's safe to say gold is a reasonably abundant metal on any solid planet, even the gas planets in their core. Plus even if people would try and colonize mars the travel time involved in going to mars would make it more expensive to harvest gold than it would be worth

I think it's Rob Gronkowski, that's who they found on mars, when he's injured that's where he goes to rehabilitate :-\

In all honesty, I disagree with the assumption that they would hold off announcing life on another planet, I would imagine if they did find something that amazing then they would announce that they have found something but then take months to confirm it rather than say "hey we found life" and two months later be like, "oh sh**, we didn't find anything it was just some weird sh** in a pool of a**..." but I'm excited to know what it is. This would be such a huge discovery and I feel would surely benefit NASA's exploration of space. Considering the speculations of life on other planets and moons and how incredibly possible it would be.

While you and I would never see it, space travel will be a must in centuries to come. Without it mankind WILL die off. We need a kick in the ass to get things in gear on finding somewhere else to live

To think that we are the only intelligent life in the universe is an asinine thing to assume, considering how massive the universe(mulitverse?!?!) really is.

- 2004 CBR1000rr - Sold
- 2008 CBR600rr - In action

->Spiegler SS Brake Lines
->Renthal grips
->China gold levers
->Brake Res. Delete
->Leo Vince SBK Slip on
->OES frame sliders
->HotBodies flush mounts
->CBR Heaven fender eliminator
->BKmoto 35w HID 6000k
havok289 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to havok289 For This Useful Post:
henry1jg (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok289 View Post
In all honesty, I disagree with the assumption that they would hold off announcing life on another planet, I would imagine if they did find something that amazing then they would announce that they have found something but then take months to confirm it rather than say "hey we found life" and two months later be like, "oh sh**, we didn't find anything it was just some weird sh** in a pool of a**..." but I'm excited to know what it is.
Yeah I agree, even with the Higgs they announced that they had found it way before it had even been 'confirmed', so chances are it's not life.

I'm still saying gold though; gold or some new element that the standard model hasn't predicted.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My money's on the discovery of Jimmy Hoffa!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
crotch_rocket_pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSun View Post
Yeah I agree, even with the Higgs they announced that they had found it way before it had even been 'confirmed', so chances are it's not life.

I'm still saying gold though; gold or some new element that the standard model hasn't predicted.
Your gold theory is the most logical one I've seen postulated yet. That or some equivalent substance. Not a bad speculation my friend!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,359 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

To think that we are the only intelligent life in the universe is an asinine thing to assume, considering how massive the universe(mulitverse?!?!) really is.
A few hundred billion galaxies, each with a few hundred billion stars...yeah. That whole "God only put life here" thing is pretty ignorant at this point.
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
henry1jg (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Dynamic
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaku View Post
My money's on the discovery of Jimmy Hoffa!
This made my day, haha, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
A few hundred billion galaxies, each with a few hundred billion stars...yeah. That whole "God only put life here" thing is pretty ignorant at this point.

I agree but with the assumption that the universe/multiverse is bigger than anyone can imagine, the probability that life exists on neighboring planets in the same solar system is minuscule.

A.R. Motorsports
43154 Via Dos Picos STE B
Temecula, CA 92590

https://www.facebook.com/ARMperformance

Honda and Suzuki certified. Factory service, maintenance, warranty and repairs. Accessory and Parts sales.

www.ar-motorsports.com

Troubleshooting a Bike that won't start
Ldn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
Fly_Killer
AMA Supersport Racer

Do what you like, like what you do. LIFE IS GOOD
Fly_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Hey X or havok, you have prob already seen it but if not, check out this awesome interactive article that BBC news posted a few months ago:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...n-worlds-exist - will need flash support to use it.

It's based on the Drake equation, so it has some scientific weight behind it.

I like it because you can play around with different variables which all lead to a final % that speculates the odds of life elsewhere in the universe.

It's crazy how even when you set everything to be the most pessimistic setting possible, you still end up with thousands of intelligent civilisations in our galaxy alone.

Then play around with a few 'seemingly meaningless' variables and that number suddenly booms to millions, and hundreds of millions.

From the most optimistic (imo) result I ever entered, I had an outcome of 3.6e+19 intelligent civilisations it the known universe.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #26
havok289
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Hey X or havok, you have prob already seen it but if not, check out this awesome interactive article that BBC news posted a few months ago:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...n-worlds-exist - will need flash support to use it.

It's based on the Drake equation, so it has some scientific weight behind it.

I like it because you can play around with different variables which all lead to a final % that speculates the odds of life elsewhere in the universe.

It's crazy how even when you set everything to be the most pessimistic setting possible, you still end up with thousands of intelligent civilisations in our galaxy alone.

Then play around with a few 'seemingly meaningless' variables and that number suddenly booms to millions, and hundreds of millions.

From the most optimistic (imo) result I ever entered, I had an outcome of 3.6e+19 intelligent civilisations it the known universe.

I have seen the drake equation before, this is quite interesting to say the least though, even with the lowest settings possible you're still looking at 150k civilizations in the 'known' universe.

Also with some of the newer theories around, stating that the universe is expanding (<-- we should all know this), but is expanding at such an incredible rate, some scientists are saying that it's expanding faster than the speed of light, which would mean there are parts of the universe past the 14.2 billion year mark that we cannot see, nor will we ever see it. Which means quite possibly that the universe is infinitely big, therefor has infinite possibilities.

This is where you get into parallel universes and shi* so I won't get into it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
I agree but with the assumption that the universe/multiverse is bigger than anyone can imagine, the probability that life exists on neighboring planets in the same solar system is minuscule.

I don't fully agree with this, the probability of having life within the same solar system, while it may not be a huge probability, it's still there.

If you look at Europa, which is one of Jupiters moons, the tidal forces that are acting on the moon from the massive gravitational pull from Jupiter, in theory, has warmed the core of the moon so dramatically that while the moon may be covered in ice and be extremely cold, underneath the icy crust there may very well be reasonably warm oceans for life to develop. And as most know, life starts with water.

Now is it intelligent life? No probably not, but life none the less.

Even under phenomenally extreme environments we know that life exists, in some parts of our oceans for example. Life will always adapt no matter how hard the conditions, so maybe it has on other planets. It just seems so ridiculous to us because we're used to warm sunny skies and beautiful oceans and stuff like that. To us it doesn't seem possible, but I'm sure it is.

- 2004 CBR1000rr - Sold
- 2008 CBR600rr - In action

->Spiegler SS Brake Lines
->Renthal grips
->China gold levers
->Brake Res. Delete
->Leo Vince SBK Slip on
->OES frame sliders
->HotBodies flush mounts
->CBR Heaven fender eliminator
->BKmoto 35w HID 6000k

Last edited by havok289; 11-24-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
havok289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Also with some of the newer theories around, stating that the universe is expanding (<-- we should all know this), but is expanding at such an incredible rate, some scientists are saying that it's expanding faster than the speed of light, which would mean there are parts of the universe past the 14.2 billion year mark that we cannot see, nor will we ever see it. Which means quite possibly that the universe is infinitely big, therefor has infinite possibilities.
If you ever get the chance, have a read about the Anthropic Principle and its varying flavours; damn facinating stuff.
Do not however mistake the Anthropic Principle with intelligent design - which it actually undermines.
The Following User Says Thank You to SilentSun For This Useful Post:
havok289 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #28
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

The truth will be kept secret.

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #29
Inkslingerxx
VP of Metal Operations

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
^^ Gold would be cool, nothin gets a planet colonised faster than a gold rush
Discovery channel is already looking into doing Gold Rush: Mars

Inkslingerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #30
Neptune
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkslingerxx View Post
Discovery channel is already looking into doing Gold Rush: Mars
They really need to get rid of all these kinds of shows. Storage wars, American gold etc are absolutely terrible. Nat geo is where it's at! And Current.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
Advertisement