** Official GYM/FITNESS thread ** - Page 17 : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #481
salsaleh
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl View Post
Anyone out there doing the Insanity Workout? I'm on week six and it's brutal. But I've lost 10 pounds in the past 5 weeks. Although I believe 95% of the lose is diet and portion sizes. Just wondering if anyone else is in the middle of it as well.
personally if i switch to the insanity workout it will definitely make me lose weight through both muscle and fat. Id prefer treating it like cardio and doing it once or twice a week maximum and only on the days that i am not lifting weights.

For someone that has never been to the gym, it will be effective and it will build some muscle. For someone who has been lifting weights for a long time, if weight lifting is replaced with the insanity workout it will shrink his/her muscles.

the reason for that is the following, there are two types of muscle in a human body, slow twitch and fast twitch. Slow twitch is the endurance kind of muscle, it uses oxygen to get atp for energy and is usually long lasting. that is the type of muscle you would build with insanity as you are constantly using ur muscle over a long period of time.

Fast twitch is the muscle type that bodybuilders have, gives you enormous amounts of energy and power over a very short period of time.

sprinter vs a marathon runner is fast twitch vs slow twitch. Both are impressive physiques, however look at the difference

runners :

sprinters :

salsaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #482
TrueViet22
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^ Dude makes me wanna be a sprinter.

But I was hoping to get some advice. I've been back in the gym now for 2 weeks. I stopped going to the gym about 2 years ago since my high school days.

The problem is back in the day I could hit 2 plates pretty easy. Now going back to the gym is can barely get a couple of sets with a plate.. I know that taking those 2 years off my strength would go down, but I didn't think it'd be that much since I still stayed active.. Its weird because I look bigger than I used to but not stronger.

So is this normal? What the fastest why to get back to 2 plates?
Thanks guys.
TrueViet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #483
mjl
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaleh View Post
personally if i switch to the insanity workout it will definitely make me lose weight through both muscle and fat. Id prefer treating it like cardio and doing it once or twice a week maximum and only on the days that i am not lifting weights.

For someone that has never been to the gym, it will be effective and it will build some muscle. For someone who has been lifting weights for a long time, if weight lifting is replaced with the insanity workout it will shrink his/her muscles.

the reason for that is the following, there are two types of muscle in a human body, slow twitch and fast twitch. Slow twitch is the endurance kind of muscle, it uses oxygen to get atp for energy and is usually long lasting. that is the type of muscle you would build with insanity as you are constantly using ur muscle over a long period of time.

Fast twitch is the muscle type that bodybuilders have, gives you enormous amounts of energy and power over a very short period of time.

sprinter vs a marathon runner is fast twitch vs slow twitch. Both are impressive physiques, however look at the difference
I've done the gym thing for years, then I switched to Judo, did that for three years and got sick of the injuries, now I just want to tone up but not necessarily lose the muscle I have. So far I don't I've lost any but have definitely toned up a bit. I may try out GSP's Rushfit when I'm done, it incorporates weights like P90X but without having to listen to Tony Horton.
mjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #484
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueViet22 View Post
^ Dude makes me wanna be a sprinter.

But I was hoping to get some advice. I've been back in the gym now for 2 weeks. I stopped going to the gym about 2 years ago since my high school days.

The problem is back in the day I could hit 2 plates pretty easy. Now going back to the gym is can barely get a couple of sets with a plate.. I know that taking those 2 years off my strength would go down, but I didn't think it'd be that much since I still stayed active.. Its weird because I look bigger than I used to but not stronger.

So is this normal? What the fastest why to get back to 2 plates?
Thanks guys.
Yeah its normal, I'm going through the same thing. Makes me glad I work out alone at work so I don't try to get cocky to lift something stupid lol. You may be bigger overall, but your muscles are now relearning that exercise. Heck I could squat 300 in HS at 135lb...now I'm at 145lb and know there is no way I could hit that right now. As far as getting back, just put some work in...I've seen improvements in myself in just 2 weeks. I got a preworkout supp to get me motivated and going since I'm not quite as energetic as in HS
lownslo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #485
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslo600 View Post
Yeah its normal, I'm going through the same thing. Makes me glad I work out alone at work so I don't try to get cocky to lift something stupid lol. You may be bigger overall, but your muscles are now relearning that exercise. Heck I could squat 300 in HS at 135lb...now I'm at 145lb and know there is no way I could hit that right now. As far as getting back, just put some work in...I've seen improvements in myself in just 2 weeks. I got a preworkout supp to get me motivated and going since I'm not quite as energetic as in HS
145... jeeze, i will never be able to be that tiny. im at 205 with a little bit of a beer gut, small enough that i can easily hold it in HAHAHA

im on week 2 of weights and i am fiding it easier to work out already. it will be nice to hot the 195 mark for me. long time ago squats were easy if i didnt have almost double my body weight.. now im lucky to do 150lbs....

relearning how to work out is my biggest annoyance about hitting the gym again. although i found that by keeping a log book it makes the workouts take less time and gives it structure.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #486
leftyguns21
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Heck I could squat 300 in HS at 135lb...now I'm at 145lb and know there is no way I could hit that right now.
nice! glad im not the only 'light weight' in here. im back to 150lbs now at 5'9"

in HS i was a buck 10 soaking wet but i could bench 150lbs. was crazy strong for a guy my size. now im struggling benching 100lbs. been back at it for about 3-4 weeks now and seen lots of improvements with both strength and physique.
leftyguns21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #487
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguns21 View Post
nice! glad im not the only 'light weight' in here. im back to 150lbs now at 5'9"

in HS i was a buck 10 soaking wet but i could bench 150lbs. was crazy strong for a guy my size. now im struggling benching 100lbs. been back at it for about 3-4 weeks now and seen lots of improvements with both strength and physique.
Yeah i'm right there with you lol. 145 at 5'9 now. But I played DE and some linebacker (and was good) at my size, so shows the punch I packed lol. Think my avg body fat is like 11-12%. Not sure about bench, but I know I could throw up 100+lbs in leg extensions for reps of 8-10. When I started back I was like I'm sure I can still get close...hahaha nope. Hardest thing about getting back to the gym is not the gym, its the diet. My body's metabolism is already starting to adjust to the heavy increase in food...find myself starving every 3 hrs like I haven't eaten all day its crazy
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #488
crash277
Moto GP Racer

you guys are making me feel fat HAHAHA..

mind you im 6' at 205
Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #489
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Trust me, us small guys are more envious of you bigger guys. I'd rather just be losing weight instead of trying to gain. And you are 6ft...damn tall ppl lol
Old 10-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #490
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Trust me, us small guys are more envious of you bigger guys. I'd rather just be losing weight instead of trying to gain. And you are 6ft...damn tall ppl lol

lol, its nice not having to get a stool to reach the top shelf.....

any of you guys on bodybuilding.com? i got the same use name there.

i found it helpful to log my workouts. especially since i forgot my book at home when i came back to the city, so i just went online and wrote down the weight i did last time.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #491
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
lol, its nice not having to get a stool to reach the top shelf.....

any of you guys on bodybuilding.com? i got the same use name there.

i found it helpful to log my workouts. especially since i forgot my book at home when i came back to the city, so i just went online and wrote down the weight i did last time.
haha, ouch. Just for the record 5'9 is one inch over average, so I'm just a small tall. Not yet, I get on there just havent had time to set up an acct. Had to get some help from Salsah just so I knew where to start, that site was an info overload for me. Thats one thing I've yet to do is start logging my workouts
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #492
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
haha, ouch. Just for the record 5'9 is one inch over average, so I'm just a small tall. Not yet, I get on there just havent had time to set up an acct. Had to get some help from Salsah just so I knew where to start, that site was an info overload for me. Thats one thing I've yet to do is start logging my workouts

the advice ive recieved multiple times from some gym buddies

commit to the diet
commit to the workout
log your workout
take a stupid mirror photo. because you dont see your own progress.

filling in the log is easy since i wait 30-45 sec between each set, it gives me time to write the weight and reps down.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #493
leftyguns21
AMA Supersport Racer

lownslo600 you sound like me. thats my comeback too..im avg. i have a good buddy who is 6'4" so im tiny next to him.

crash277 your first point was the hardest. the diet. finding good tasting healthy food was tough but i have it down now. sprouts is my fav store. i wish i would have done a mirror photo 2 months ago. keep being lazy to do a new one and see progress from now till when ever
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #494
TrueViet22
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Thanks man.

Yea I'm seeing some progress but I wish it was faster! Haha my friend recommended this whey stuff that I might a try out next week.
I'm like a couple guys here. I played football in HS at LB and SS but I had sciatica which really messed me up. Right now I'm about 5' 8" at 165 or 160 after I take a dump. so I guess I'm average height but then again I'm asian.

and when I said 2 plates I ment on the bench lol.
TrueViet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #495
crash277
Moto GP Racer

I'm still trying to sort out the food. I take healthy stuff to work. But I have to force myself to eat is at it all in one sitting. Breakfast is currently my biggest crutch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #496
VT733
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
spread out your snacks at work. I eat something small and healthy(relatively) every chance I get. Probably every hour or so. It will speed up your metabolism then you can start increasing portions after a couple months of doing that. Try to eat 5 meals a day, 3hrs apart
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #497
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Haha, TrueViet I know what you mean about not being fast enough. Injuries can def set you back. Thats what made be lose weight and muscle. Had a car wreck (broke my C4 and C5 vertabrae) next it was a bulged disk in the back, than a hernia, than more back prob, and the latest was 2 knee cortizone injections. I stayed away from the gym until I got better than bam something else happend. I'm only 28 but I've learned quick to take it easy...we are not young and bulletproof anymore. But if I could get to 165lb I would be amazed.

Crash- Right there with you. It gets easier though. I've learned quick to prepare in advance and have emergency backup quick stuff so if you get to busy to cook. Like for lunch today I'm screwed b/c I forgot to cook something for lunch.

and a cooking tip. go light cuz the sodium in some but that concentrated chicken broth is awesome for cooking like the brown rice, veggies, or just to just add some flavor to chicken.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #498
crash277
Moto GP Racer

The workout tracker on bodybuilding.com is a great motivator. I did 17,250 lbs of weight for lower body this morning.

After 2 weeks I'm already looking forward to going to the gym on Monday.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #499
Pythonidae
Knee Dragger

Just started back on a westside template, my week looks like this in the gym now...

Monday – Dynamic Effort Bench Press Session
Bench Press over 5 weeks (30 sec rests)
w1 - 8x3 (80kg)
w2 - 8x3 (85kg)
w3 - 8x3 (90kg)
w4 - 8x3 (95kg)
w5 - 3x3 (100kg), 2x3 (105kg), 2x3 (110kg)
Pin Press 4X5 @90% (110-115kg)
Overhead Press 4X5 @70% (60-65kg)
Lat Pulldowns 4X5 @80% (70kg)
Skull crushers 4x10 @30kg
Dumbbell curls 4x10 @17.5kg

Tuesday – Max Effort Squat/Deadlift Session
Deadlift - Ramp up to a single set of 3/2/1 @90-100% (180-200kg)
OR
Squat - Ramp up to a single set of 3/2/1 @90-100% (145-160kg)
GHM(bodyweight)/SLDL(120-160kg) 4X6 @70%
Leg Curl 4X10 @60% (40kg)
Weighted/Decline Sit-ups 4X10 (10-20kg)

Wednesday - Run fat boy run!

Thursday – Max Effort Bench Session
Bench Press - ramp up to a single set of 3/2/1 @90-100% (110-120)
Cable Tricep Extensions/Skull Crushers - 6X10 @70% (30kg)
Rear Dumbbell Raises - 3X10 @70% (17.5kg)
Pendlay Row - 5X8 @75% (80kg)
some high rep bicep movement

Friday – Dynamic Effort Squat/Deadlift Session
Squat - same 5 week cycle as bench mondays from 100kg-150kg
RDL - 5X5 @60% (130kg)
Hanging Leg Raise - 4X8 - eventually want to add weights to my feet here.
Pythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #500
CepheiA
Moto GP Racer

FLUTTERSHY
600rr.net Crash Stats: Will You Crash?
WTB: Sprint/Unlocked BLACK HTC One (M7)
CepheiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #501
thaghost
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Earlier this year I was 217. I am 5'9". Worked out a few months at a time, then would stop for a few months. Could only get down to 205. I started p90x back in August. Did that for 6 weeks and got down to 190. Then I just started watching what I eat and cutting out a lot of beer I used to drink lol, pop and fried foods. I am down to 182 now. Trying to get down to 170, we'll see.

PLEASE READ THE CLASSIFIED RULES BEFORE POSTING CLASSIFIED RULES
thaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #502
VT733
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^yup, once I got out of college it was a lot easier to loose those last few pounds of body fat. Cutting down on the beer made a HUGE difference, lol. I've always been "concious" of what I eat by staying away fried foods/all processed crap, none of those frozen dinners/packaged/prepared meals, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, as much protein as I can...and the beer is what made the biggest difference. Now I drink quality not quantity, usually just on the weekends...and some wine with dinner every night, haha.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #503
Pythonidae
Knee Dragger

I do agree that beer consumption is bad for weight loss...

I can honestly say, that with a body type that will cling to it's fat like no other body type, and being short does not help one bit... I still drink beer and maintain a healthy body shape.

Intensity at the gym is worth more than attendance alone. I lift big, and eat big, and drink big, and still just pile on muscle. Saying that though... LOSING weight is very hard whilst drinking beer, but same goes for mass consumption of ANY calorie source. Liquid is deceiving!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #504
Pythonidae
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CepheiA View Post
saw this about a year ago.... still want her number
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #505
ybm
AMA Supersport Racer

anyone on here compete? body building or physique?
ybm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #506
whtphx
Knee Dragger

on that x.

last time i posted i was doing basic stuff.... I got sick of the gym - well more like, I got sick of coming up with excuses for not going to the gym. So I cancelled my membership and got p90x instead. I am far better at working out from home.

Im on week 2. staying real committed to the diet. Its easy for me because for the most part, I was already eating really healthy foods and eating every 2-3 hrs because of my metabolism. I didnt have any fat to speak of when I started - ok ok... some SLIIIIGHT muffin toppness was starting to show cuz i was downing alot of beer on the weekends. But I am probably still below 16% body fat. (BTW, those pictures are crucial! photographing yourself makes you so much more accountable! haha - i am going to burn those pictures in another 83 days or so......)

Since starting this, I have cut out all alcohol and simple carbs, sugars and fats. And my body has really been cleansing - its awesome! makes me feel great. Every day i battle with soreness but soreness = PROGRESS!

Right now the major issue I deal with is weak joints - ive always had a bad left knee and a bad elbow. But I imagine a few more weeks and that will get strengthened up and hopefully I will be able to make noticeable increases in weight and range of motion.

I can already see myself having to go to 2 a days in maybe 4 weeks or so.

Anyways! yall stick to it!!!! Stay focused. DO EPIC ****!
asv break/clutch levers
r&g racing sliders (frame/fork/bar end)
puig fender kit
clear alternatives integrated tail light
lp flushmount turn signals

hotbodies gp windscreen

whtphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #507
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Week 7. Up 7 lbs and have tightened the belt a notch!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #508
leftyguns21
AMA Supersport Racer

how do you guys come back from an illness. ive been down for a week now and lost 5lbs during this time. thats a lot of weight considering i now only weigh 140lbs. i tried to go back to the gym today and still feel very weak should i continue to take time off till im fully healthy and eating normally? or is it ok to just go in and do some light workout. during the week i was off i couldnt eat much but did still manage to get my fluids. im slowly building back up the diet but not at my 5+ meals a day, im lucky to get 3 meals in.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #509
Neptune
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'd say wait another half to full week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #510
Keviiinnnnn
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguns21 View Post
how do you guys come back from an illness. ive been down for a week now and lost 5lbs during this time. thats a lot of weight considering i now only weigh 140lbs. i tried to go back to the gym today and still feel very weak should i continue to take time off till im fully healthy and eating normally? or is it ok to just go in and do some light workout. during the week i was off i couldnt eat much but did still manage to get my fluids. im slowly building back up the diet but not at my 5+ meals a day, im lucky to get 3 meals in.
I usually like hitting the bike then the sauna. I find I sweat most of it out within a day or two. I drink a bunch water and OJ through out the whole day to keep hydrated and have some vit C in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Keviiinnnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement