1st sparkplug change, old plug questions : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Maintenance

Maintenance Maintenance advice and questions are here

Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
1st sparkplug change, old plug questions

So i have brand new ones in the bike now, i just wanna get some opinions regarding my old ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Str8_Lurkin
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
You guys and the pro pics! Hahaha is that dirt or actually build up on the plugs?

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
Str8_Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Str8_Lurkin For This Useful Post:
Hsunami (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

lol, glad u like the photos. That was actual build up on the spark plugs. What is that? is what i am trying to find out
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
JerseyCBR
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
lol, glad u like the photos. That was actual build up on the spark plugs. What is that? is what i am trying to find out
What colour are they? I'm finding it difficult to actually put my finger on it as the picture itself has a pinkish hue to it!

Can't decide between grey or brown.. Either way, grey is usually an indication of a lean condition i.e. not enough oil! Not good!!

Chocolately brown is the ideal colour of the residue left behind, it means theres not too much fuel being pushed through in ratio to the air, and also not too little oil.

Correct me if i'm wrong, my knowledge is purely 2T based, but i'm assuming that it's the same for these beasts!

Aprilia RS125 2008 (2010 - Present)
Honda CBR600RR 2003 ( August 2012 - Present)
JerseyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyCBR For This Useful Post:
Hsunami (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCBR View Post
What colour are they? I'm finding it difficult to actually put my finger on it as the picture itself has a pinkish hue to it!

Can't decide between grey or brown.. Either way, grey is usually an indication of a lean condition i.e. not enough oil! Not good!!

Chocolately brown is the ideal colour of the residue left behind, it means theres not too much fuel being pushed through in ratio to the air, and also not too little oil.

Correct me if i'm wrong, my knowledge is purely 2T based, but i'm assuming that it's the same for these beasts!
ooo ok thanks. I figured they were running lean. Its more of a gray. But now...they are a nice silver. mmmmm spanky new sparkplugs. I just needa get my auto tuner on there.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
COBRA90GT
World Superbike Racer

FWIW, for others who are curious about how to "read" their plugs:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COBRA90GT For This Useful Post:
Hsunami (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
CBR Time
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
How many miles/Km's on your bike? im at 24000km's may do mine next year? also what did you put in oem NGK's?
CBR Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Time View Post
How many miles/Km's on your bike? im at 24000km's may do mine next year? also what did you put in oem NGK's?
its at low 16000ish. I just wanted to change them for a piece of mind, and since i laid my bike down in the canyons the other day it was "acting funny". (loss of throttle power at random RPM ranges, choking of the engine coming from idle, etc) Changing the spark plugs fixed the issue.

And i bought OEM NGKs.

4 of NGK (5766) IMR9C-9HES Laser Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1 4 of NGK (5766) IMR9C-9HES Laser Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1

cost me about 51 bucks for all 4

look at that website it looks like my plugs were "too hot", so lean mixture.

Last edited by Hsunami; 11-28-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Hsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hsunami For This Useful Post:
CBR Time (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
MikeyP
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
They look pretty good, normal buildup.
2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
pvn23
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
its at low 16000ish. I just wanted to change them for a piece of mind, and since i laid my bike down in the canyons the other day it was "acting funny". (loss of throttle power at random RPM ranges, choking of the engine coming from idle, etc) Changing the spark plugs fixed the issue.

And i bought OEM NGKs.

4 of NGK (5766) IMR9C-9HES Laser Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1

cost me about 51 bucks for all 4

look at that website it looks like my plugs were "too hot", so lean mixture.
Those Iridium are a blow to the wallet, but they're definitely well worth the investment. I was wondering, did you by any chance lube the threads with dielectric grease? I had just recently changed mines, but I'll most likely be pulling them out again just to lube up the threads.
pvn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
Those Iridium are a blow to the wallet, but they're definitely well worth the investment. I was wondering, did you by any chance lube the threads with dielectric grease? I had just recently changed mines, but I'll most likely be pulling them out again just to lube up the threads.
Yes they are a blow to the wallet but it wasn't too bad, i mean they are good for 16000-32000 miles.....so in the long run its not too bad. Thats the way i see it. New plugs are sexy, i feel the difference.

o? no i did not put the grease.. What are the benefits of greasing it with dielectric grease? They were a hassle to do, well at least 2-3rd spark plugs were. Tiny space.

but if it is a worthful investment to put on the grease i may just take it apart and put them on.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
NaturalPhenomenon
AMA Supersport Racer

It stops corosion and better conductivity between the boot and the plug, it also helps block out water on really rainy days.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Motorcycle.com Free App
NaturalPhenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,063 Times in 903 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you don't but dielectric grease on the threads. That goes in the boot of the plug wire. It makes it easier to remove the boots when the time comes so you don't rip the wire out of the boot. On the threads of the spark plug you put Anti-Seize. Neither of these are required, but they just make it easier to remove the plugs/wires in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge_Jumper For This Useful Post:
pvn23 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
pvn23
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
you don't but dielectric grease on the threads. That goes in the boot of the plug wire. It makes it easier to remove the boots when the time comes so you don't rip the wire out of the boot. On the threads of the spark plug you put Anti-Seize. Neither of these are required, but they just make it easier to remove the plugs/wires in the future.
Yup, sorry for the misleading information. I figured out that the dielectric grease is for the boot and the anti-seize is for the threads a little later after reading a bit more on some other forums.

However, Bridge_Jumper, would it really matter if you put anti-seize and dielectric on or would it not be as necessary as I thought it would be?
pvn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,063 Times in 903 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
its not required. Most people only put them on because it makes it easier to remove them the next time around. For instance: I just changed the plugs and wires on my 07 Grand Prix a few weeks ago. They are iridium plugs and GM says they are good for 100k miles. I did my 100k service so I changed plugs, wires, oil, filter, transmission filter, and drained/replaced trans fluid.

Now since these were original plugs and wires, if there was dielectric grease or anti-seize applied at the factory, there was none left(I doubt there was any originally applied). I kept telling myself there was no way that I was going to be able to do this without busting my knuckles open..... Well I did, about 5 times. Thats how stuck they were. Fast forward to today, If I were to go out to my car and pull plugs, it would be easy as pie because I applied the dielectric grease and anti-sieze.

Overall, Not required, but if you ever plan on messing with your plugs in the future, apply it. They are only a few bucks for a little 1 time use packet at an auto parts store. Spending 2 bucks to make it easier down the road is well worth saving your knuckles
Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Nico
Administrator

Thanked 1,350 Times in 952 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The plugs look perfect. Definitely at the end of their life, but they look exactly as you would want them to.

As for dielectric grease and anti-seize, be careful which dielectric grease you use, some of them won't withstand the high voltages involved with the ignition system, but provided a decent one is used you can't go too far wrong. Anti-seize is also a good idea, but don't get it anywhere near the electrode or bridge. You don't want it shorting out your spark, you only want a little on the threads.

04 600RR

Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement