Does track experience make you more of a danger? - Page 2 : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Track Talk > Trackdays

Trackdays Privateers and Professionals

Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #31
.b0link
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm3300 View Post
I mean, I envision them teaching you taking decreasing radius better or how to take turns that have hardly any grading, but they wont throw loose gravel in these areas like there is in the street. Or have a broke down car ahead when your taking a blind corner. Those are dangers Im not aware of. Track, pretty much everything is known about that particular surface and kept clear.

You are somehow both missing the point yet have a full grasp of said point.

The track makes you realize that there is a much safer place to push, with better traction, better safety, an ambulance or medical expert on site, no objects for you to run into, any objects you could potentially run into are first barricaded with gravel traps, hay bails, or air fencing, all traffic going the same direction as you, no intersections, no oil slicks, etc etc etc.

Simply put, riding in said, safe, controlled environment makes you realize exactly how dangerous the street is.

Crashing at the track reinforces that idea, and you find yourself looking at roads thinking to yourself "****, if I had crashed there I would have flown off a cliff" or "****, If i had crashed there, I would have been sliced into three pieces as I flew through the road barrier". But instead, cause you crashed in a safe environment you were able to pick your bike up, restart it, ride it back to the pits, and continue to ride and have fun the rest of the day.

Please tell my you understand his statement now?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
harry-nyc
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't ride in the streets too often (haven't ridden since March). I made a lot of progress this year from my trackdays. May ride once or twice to see what it's like again.

I had a friend who asked me to takes some pics of his buddy in the beginner group, who was a very fast street rider. He did alright, but I think the track definitely humbles you. I'm glad to see that people are going to the track, I try and get everyone I meet to go at least once (usually all it takes).

The only thing that I do like is that I'm more in tune with my bike and I can feel what's happening. So I know what I'm doing and how the bike is reacting and I can correct it if necessary. I think you learn a lot more a lot quicker by doing trackdays if you want to learn.
harry-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #33
mrm3300
Not really asian

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
You are somehow both missing the point yet have a full grasp of said point.

The track makes you realize that there is a much safer place to push, with better traction, better safety, an ambulance or medical expert on site, no objects for you to run into, any objects you could potentially run into are first barricaded with gravel traps, hay bails, or air fencing, all traffic going the same direction as you, no intersections, no oil slicks, etc etc etc.

Simply put, riding in said, safe, controlled environment makes you realize exactly how dangerous the street is.

Crashing at the track reinforces that idea, and you find yourself looking at roads thinking to yourself "****, if I had crashed there I would have flown off a cliff" or "****, If i had crashed there, I would have been sliced into three pieces as I flew through the road barrier". But instead, cause you crashed in a safe environment you were able to pick your bike up, restart it, ride it back to the pits, and continue to ride and have fun the rest of the day.

Please tell my you understand his statement now?
Yes, thanks for clarifying.

(Zhjiln) I see a bunch of squids rolling deep.....
mrm3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #34
Gashuffer
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The purpose of the track is not to become faster on the street or more reckless.

However, if you are capable of operating your bike better (ie, turning, braking, throttle control, etc) then your margin for error grows on the street. As long as you are not also raising your intensity/risk as well.

I know I am more comfortable in every aspect of riding on the street. I am more comfortable with using brakes and know more of what the bike can do. I learn more every time I go to the track then I just know that when the time comes for me to use these skills, I'll be ready. What I won't do is try to shorten my commute times by riding harder.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #35
Bimmerx2
AMA Supersport Racer

I don't think a trackday is going to change anything about a person who is willing to be an idiot on the street.

Learning how to ride better might make a person more confident, it will certainly make them more capable of riding fast. Will it make a person start making bad decisions? I doubt anyone can answer that one.

We have a few guys around here that ride track and are complete jerks on the streets. Most don't ride the street at all. Some, like me, find that 'going fast' on the street is almost laughable after doing trackdays. I snicker everytime I see someone "race" me to the next stoplight by doing 45 in a 35 zone (the daredevils). Taking a corner at 2x the recommended speed? Whoopee, not even worth the effort because it's so slow.

If someone get's overconfident because they know how to go faster they are a dangerous rider because of attitude, not skill level.

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
Bimmerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #36
SLAPS808
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlift View Post
I also rode slower on the street. And yeah, super sports piss people off, even if you aren't a tool that revs up at redlights.
im a tool and a squid. i rev at stoplights. and i also practice race starts at the stoplights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
SLAPS808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SLAPS808 For This Useful Post:
Gashuffer (09-29-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #37
launchforwards
Vendor

It's possible that a person who is already reckless on the street will become more reckless after gained abilities and confidence of handling their motorcycle. Usually, with enough peer pressure, that side will diminish though. Worst comes to worst...at least he'll be a skilled jerk, instead of an unskilled one.
launchforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #38
sdiver68
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For me, the more track then racing experience I got the much less I felt a desire to push hard on the street. I now ride at 60% of my ability on back roads, where as my old rule was 80%. Of course my speeds have not slowed much it's just that my limit is so much higher.

When I was racing, I almost gave up the street. Just isn't that fun anymore.

Last edited by sdiver68; 10-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #39
fallingbomb
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
I would say it has the opposite affect, the street gets boring. You realize the dangers that you never noticed before.
Yep. Now on the street, I can't or don't really ride to a level that I consider exciting. I probably go about the same pace I used to but now with better form and control, I know how much further I can go if I need to make an evasive maneuver.
2007 CBR600RR -- CVMA #270 -- Pictures -- Build Thread
fallingbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #40
LeMisVH
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedisFaster View Post
I also agree with niner. After doing a track day the street just isnt the same. At least its not for me. I still enjoy riding on the street but the track is just a much better/different experience. After a track day you start to notice how close those guard rails and telephone poles are on the side of the street.
I think I actually ride slower on the street now. There's just no need to ride fast on the street anymore. It's more dangerous, not as fun, pisses poeple off, and attracts cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post

i slowed down on the street after being on the track, and riding a SS on the street is not as much fun as it used to be.
I am a new rider, started last year, realized that the guys I ride with were pretty quick, so I took it to the track to practice. Now I can say that I am more confident in my riding skills, but at the same time, not as thrilled to ride the street as much as I did. After track, you realize more the dangers of the street and it makes you more cautious...
LeMisVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #41
TribalCBR06
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm3300 View Post
Ya, I know it will be a blast. That wasnt really my concern. It was more of how has it changed your street mode.
From my experience it will make you a better rider, take less risks on the street, and appreciate the ATGATT mentality.

I still ride both but have immensely matured my street riding. I don't do crazy stuff on the street anymore; you save that stuff for the track. You'll still have the short bursts of speed but for the most part you keep it in check knowing the risks.

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
TribalCBR06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #42
love2ride
Pocketbike Racer

I only ride on the street now as a commuter when the weather permits. I never go on street rides just for the purpose of riding as I used to.

I'm also considering taking the 1098 to the track as well next season. It doesn't deserve the mundane street riding and slow death of commuting.

| 2008 Ducati 1098 | 2005 CBR600RR | 2007 Subaru WRX
love2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #43
droom
Training Wheel Hero

In the last two years I don't think I had more than 10 kilometers on the street. It isn't interesting for me anymore. I also have a car, but there I can say when driving I am calmer and don't feel the need for speed. Everything for me is on the track.

One more thing: the scariest moments in my life were with beginners on track. They were literally everywhere (like the way I was when I first started trackdays ), dangerous to themselves and to the other. It kinda makes you realize how little in control and inexperienced you are as a street rider. In retrospect, going to the track was the best decision I made in my motorcycling carrier. :D

Last edited by droom; 11-28-2012 at 03:53 AM.
droom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #44
MachRider
World Superbike Racer

I still ride somewhat quick in the canyons when there is little to no traffic, but the track has let me ride within a hgiher speed. I can process and feel much more now after having been on the track for 6 years.

There are some guys I ride with who drag knee through almost every corner. Not just to show off, but because they are using it like you should. They are just asking for it. I rarely go more than 35 degrees over on the street, even at my fastest.

I can NEVER give up street riding. I don't ride ONLY to feel high speed and lean angles, but to feel free. Riding on the street has a sense of adventure that the track simply cannot compare with. Some places are boring and I can understand that, but if you've ridden in Arizona, almost anywhere in California, anywhere in the North, Colorado, or any twisty/mountainous/hilly backroad, you'll know what I mean. The most surreal and human sensations I've felt have been on a bike on a road and no plans.

Also sex.
Bright Headlights
Handlebar Grips
Completely Bone Stock Fuel Tank
Tuned by Valentino Rossi
MachRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #45
droom
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRider View Post
Also sex.
I bet no one could say otherwise

droom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #46
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

trackday rider only, no more street, no fun anymore especially from where i live, we have a popular twisty mountain road near my place but it's flooded with morons & wannabe racers who like to show off, almost weekly somebody dies there, no short supply of morons i guess.

riding track has taught me to become a better safer rider, the last times i rode the street on my sportbike i was really being careful & cautious, no matter how skilled you are if you ride like a maniac on the street you're an accident waiting to happen.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 0.90 N/mm fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines