Battery issue? I checked other posts but still not sure??? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Maintenance

Maintenance Maintenance advice and questions are here

Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
snatraps99
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery issue? I checked other posts but still not sure???

Hey...
So I live in Los Angeles so it is never too cold here. My 2006 is kept outdoors in a covered carport. I ride it all the time, but recently due to rain and family in town I didn't ride it for over a week. Two days ago, I went to turn it on and it just clicked. Assumed the battery was dead so I took it out and charged it with my trickle charger. This morning I put it back in and the bike started. I turned it off after a few seconds to finish putting the bike back together (I have the scorpio 900 alarm so I had to take the tail section off when removing the battery - long story but the alarm kept going off). So I got the bike back together and went to turn it on and it was clicking again. Is the battery beyond charge for repair? Other thoughts? Just got an oil change last month and gas is brand new as well.

Thanks for your help in advance!
snatraps99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Asabon94
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did your bike run fine before the week you didn't ride? Anything you noticed wrong? I put a gorilla alarm system on my bike and I was riding one day and got to a parking lot to relax a sec and then tried to start it an it wouldn't. I tried several times and it finally started. I charged the battery and seems fine ever since. Maybe your system sucks more battery than mine and maybe it did kill your battery beyond repair. I'd suggest a new battery. I'm no mechanic I'm just going by my personal experience. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Cbr 600rr
Asabon94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
snatraps99
Training Wheel Hero

Yeah... My bike was fine. The alarm was installed months ago and I ride it all the time. In LA we can ride year round. I usually ride it at minimum 3 days a week. Just took some time off when family was on town.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
daisoman
AMA Supersport Racer

Do the lights go on at all? Blown main fuse?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
snatraps99
Training Wheel Hero

Yeah... lights work... speedo runs up like usual when the bike starts normally. I do keep my high beams on all the time... that is the only thing "out of the ordinary". Everything is the exact same as when the bike worked... last week. Just clicks... a few flickers on the speedo... and it won't turn on.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
SuuScbr
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatraps99 View Post
Yeah... lights work... speedo runs up like usual when the bike starts normally. I do keep my high beams on all the time... that is the only thing "out of the ordinary". Everything is the exact same as when the bike worked... last week. Just clicks... a few flickers on the speedo... and it won't turn on.

so first its most likely the battery, when it was parked did you have the alarm on? if so then it most likely drained your battery down, and charging it back up, helped for a moment but that one start dropped it back down you didnt run the bike so you didnt charge it at all with that start, so im saying BATT is dead/on its last leg,

if the alarm is going on and off that to me is the battery having enough juice to start the alarm but then cutting out or low and making the alarm trip, so batt seems to be dying,

take it out and take it to autozone and have them load test it, be sure to say LOAD TEST, that will tell you if the battery is dead,

if you have a buddy who rides have him come over and put his batt in yours then start is and run it passed 5K rpms,

you can also get a voltmeter and check voltage before you start, then hit the button if its drops below 12 or 11 batt is done,

but from what you say I think the battery is gone, if it ran fine and you just left it chances are the alarm sucked it dry, check to see if the alarm has a cut off when the voltage in the battery gets to low, if not you will want to start the bike every week at the least and run it passed 5K to get a good charge from the system into the battery,

GOOD LUCK!!!

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttp://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112

Last edited by SuuScbr; 11-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.
SuuScbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Bizzle
Banned

If the battery has never been replaced since 2006, it's time to get a new one. It's been almost seven years. Old batteries usually do not last long after it dies.
Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
roost28
Knee Dragger

def sounds like your battery is toast and will no longer hold a charge.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
White RepsoL
AMA Supersport Racer

This happened to me after a storm the alarm drained my battery. I charged it not with a trikle charger but speed charger and fired right up and has been fine since. Worst case scenerio get a new battery no biggie everything else seems in order.
White RepsoL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
daisoman
AMA Supersport Racer

Ok it's the battery. Some say optimate3/4 can save excessive drained batteries. Might be a good investment, you can hard wire it so you don't get this problem anymore when u let it sit.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
pvn23
Training Wheel Hero

Ever thought about it being your starter motor rather than the battery? What you're hearing from the clicking is the solenoid relay. If it's clicking, the battery is still working. You might want to locate the starter motor on your 600RR and see if that could be the problem as well before you set yourself to a solution and start blowing money to parts that won't need replacement for a while.
pvn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
White RepsoL
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
Ever thought about it being your starter motor rather than the battery? What you're hearing from the clicking is the solenoid relay. If it's clicking, the battery is still working. You might want to locate the starter motor on your 600RR and see if that could be the problem as well before you set yourself to a solution and start blowing money to parts that won't need replacement for a while.
Much rather replace a battery than a starter motor also symptoms all lead to battery ex.clicking flickering of speedo...Also if its clicking the solenoid is working but the battery doesn't have enough juice to fire up the bike
White RepsoL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
snatraps99
Training Wheel Hero

WOW!! Thanks for all of the responses! Love having this site as a resource! I too think it is the battery. Now the question is which battery to get and from where???
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
SuuScbr
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatraps99 View Post
WOW!! Thanks for all of the responses! Love having this site as a resource! I too think it is the battery. Now the question is which battery to get and from where???

in a pinch walmart, yeah their batteries are not made by gods, but they work, I have one in one of my bikes and it fires up fine, had it for about 2 years now and its still going strong,

I dont think its the starter due to it running before, perhaps the solenoid has gunk on it and is making it hard to turn,

the alarm tripping is the tell tail sign its not the starter the start wouldnt do that,

now our starters do take a large amount of voltage at first to turn, but he would be getting a click then the cluster would flash out then come back and click thats a bad battery, a bad starter will click click, then nothing, then click click nothing, nothing,

you can get a long screwdriver and tap the starter but from what I read its the battery not the starter,

moty batteries are good,

really depends on your budget,

good luck!

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttp://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
SuuScbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
snatraps99
Training Wheel Hero

According to the weather in LA, it is going to be raining for a few days. So I have time to order one. What do you think of this one?
http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTZ10S-...er-MAR__YTZ10S

Thanks again for your help... everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement