Can't get into 1st/neutral after emergency stop. : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't get into 1st/neutral after emergency stop.

Hello, I've been a new rider on this bike for about 2 weeks now. Im in total bliss to say the least lol. The only concern I have is when I have to stop fast while cruising in a high gear. I may downshift a gear or two, but focus on braking. Then when I'm sitting at the light, I can't find neutral and I don't really feel the click when trying to shift down.

Can you downshift through all the gears AFTER fully stopping, or do I always have to restart the bike when I stall out after not being able to get into 1st/neutral after an emergency stop?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS - I do normally shift down through the gears without any issues during normal stops.
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I commonly have this problem too. I find slowly releasing the clutch while applying downwards pressure to the shift lever and allowing the gears to engage allows me to downshift past N into first.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

A.R. Motorsports
43154 Via Dos Picos STE B
Temecula, CA 92590

https://www.facebook.com/ARMperformance

Honda and Suzuki certified. Factory service, maintenance, warranty and repairs. Accessory and Parts sales.

www.ar-motorsports.com

Troubleshooting a Bike that won't start
Ldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Orangef3
Knee Dragger

Try rolling the bike forward or back a couple of inches. Usually works for me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Orangef3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Timmorgz78
Training Wheel Hero

If you brake to a stop in high gear, you can shift down until you hit first, and then tap up until you're in neutral. Sometimes the bike will want you to engage each gear so shift down, let the clutch out until it grabs and then pull it back in and keep shifting down. Just practice shifting down while coming to a stop, since sooner than later a time will come where you need to be in the right gear before you come to a complete stop. Maybe start slowing down sooner so you can do this properly, I've had lights turn yellow and have had to brake pretty hard in which case you don't want to really focus on gears so much as just stopping.
Timmorgz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,063 Times in 903 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It has something to do with the transmissions not having syncros. Like Ldn said, release the clutch a little bit and you should be able to down shift. Just don't release the clutch enough that it engages
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Role back or and forth sometimes that lets it go..

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
PattyK
Pocketbike Racer

Like everyone says, back and forth and let out the clutch lever a bit. Problem solved!

PattyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

Glad to hear its normal, and not a transmission issue. Thanks for those two tips everyone, will definately keep em in mind.

@brmoore, it wasn't really an "emergency" just a light changing yellow at a really busy intersection with bumps in the middle. I never speed up through that one since i almost spun out my car last time I did.

Oh yeah, one more question. I recently installed new EBC HH brakes front and back and changed the brake fluid. And it stops amazingly, but the front brake lever makes a weird and annoying buzzing sound while braking. Is this normal too? I did sand the rotors a little but maybe it's just vibrations or something until the pads fully bed in?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Asabon94
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say give em time to break in and break them in properly. I changed mine and they squeak sometimes and I'm one who hates rattles and squeaks on my car an bike

2007 Cbr 600rr
Asabon94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hmm I was taught to down shift while braking.... that way your already in the correct gear and take off again if needed

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

c><----- Save the TA-TA's----------c><
sumone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

^I do always downshift while braking, but if you all of a sudden have to slam the brakes, I'm not really focusing on counting gears and downshifting.

I do always stay in a gear though to engine brake, I know some people hold the clutch in and brake while coasting and that's just stupid.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
AF600RR
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
^I do always downshift while braking, but if you all of a sudden have to slam the brakes, I'm not really focusing on counting gears and downshifting.

I do always stay in a gear though to engine brake, I know some people hold the clutch in and brake while coasting and that's just stupid.
Exactly how i've been taught and currently do. Braking with the clutch held in feels so inefficient.

and you're right, emergency stop is exactly that. Focus on stopping first/ avoidance rather than changing gears.

Regarding the gear issues, i find slightly slipping the clutch/ bringing it to its biting point then pulling clutch back in helps engage the correct gear...or as others have suggested, roll back and forwards
AF600RR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
jskateborders
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Glad to hear its normal, and not a transmission issue. Thanks for those two tips everyone, will definately keep em in mind.

@brmoore, it wasn't really an "emergency" just a light changing yellow at a really busy intersection with bumps in the middle. I never speed up through that one since i almost spun out my car last time I did.
After being rear ended I will never stop on a yellow unless there are no cars behind me or the intersection is not clear. Keep that in mind for quick stops.
jskateborders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskateborders View Post
After being rear ended I will never stop on a yellow unless there are no cars behind me or the intersection is not clear. Keep that in mind for quick stops.
Good point, in my short 2 weeks of riding the biggest thing that's been pissing me off is a lot of people tailgate me. I'm thinking REALLY?!?! Your tailgating a motorcycle?!?! Stupid people...
Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #15
Raj24v
Moto GP Racer

I'm so glad that its not just me that occasionally has this problem. Lol. I'll try the releasing the clutch a little trick next time it happens.. Thanks.
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
dickturpin 1976
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj24v View Post
I'm so glad that its not just me that occasionally has this problem. Lol. I'll try the releasing the clutch a little trick next time it happens.. Thanks.
yeah thats my method mate works every time. its a little worrying 1st tme it happens tho isnt it. i thought the dealer sold me a pos when it happened lol
Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Good point, in my short 2 weeks of riding the biggest thing that's been pissing me off is a lot of people tailgate me. I'm thinking REALLY?!?! Your tailgating a motorcycle?!?! Stupid people...
when I get this I slow way down & make a point of watching them in my mirrors, so they know I'm doing it to piss them off, if they don't want to follow at a safe distance then I'll make sure they're following at a safe speed lol.

when I get bored I'll just disappear, gotta love these bikes lol

but yeah slip the clucth a little & you'll feel the gear engage & reset the shifter for the next push
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan-rr5 View Post
when I get this I slow way down & make a point of watching them in my mirrors, so they know I'm doing it to piss them off, if they don't want to follow at a safe distance then I'll make sure they're following at a safe speed lol.

when I get bored I'll just disappear, gotta love these bikes lol

but yeah slip the clucth a little & you'll feel the gear engage & reset the shifter for the next push
Will defnitely do this the next time.

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
nurdie
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As the others have said:
When I stop fast...I let the clutch out just a little bit after each down shift to allow it to "engage" that gear before moving on to the next...if you are at a dead stop, you can actually hear/feel the gears catching. This is way before my friction point in my clutch...works every time...even when I get stuck out of 1st gear like that.

Quote:
Oh yeah, one more question. I recently installed new EBC HH brakes front and back and changed the brake fluid. And it stops amazingly, but the front brake lever makes a weird and annoying buzzing sound while braking. Is this normal too? I did sand the rotors a little but maybe it's just vibrations or something until the pads fully bed in?
I had this question when I first bought my bike...I've ridden it ~4000mi now and no problems. I was informed that a little buzzing noise when breaking is normal if your rotors AREN'T warped. It is due to our drilled/slotted rotors...air gets trapped in the 'holes' in your rotor between the brake pads, then super heated, then released as the pad uncovers the holes. This makes a buzzing sound. ...so I've been told :)
Old 12-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
boostedlt1
Pocketbike Racer

either roll the bike a little bit or slowly let out the clutch, you'll hear it kind of "clunk" (for lack of a better word). you'll probably have to do it for all the gears

Adam - Slocum Racing
'95 lt1. 355 - 9.4:1 - LE2 heads - LE cam - t70 @ 8psi (until i get moar fuel)
'03 CBR600RR - Two Brothers Slip-On
boostedlt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement