How To: Install Adjustable Vortex Rearset : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > DIY Write up's > 03 / 06 RR

03 / 06 RR This forum is dedicated to all the How to write ups for 03 to 06 RR

Old 11-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
dreamzboy
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How To: Install Adjustable Vortex Rearset

Because there is already an existing Vortex Rearset installation for the 07-08, I'll be reference it and add a few pointers to make this installation as painless as possible for the 05-06 600RR. I'm sure 03-04 is very much similar.

1. Read the instruction shown on Vortex Website to properly pre-installed your rearset. The main focus here is to attach the pegs onto the heel guard.

2. Go through the instruction written by michaelj

3. To be persistent. I'll start on the shifter side. Unscrew the original shifter and use the same screw for your new rearset. Although the rearset comes with two different length rods, a Vortex Rep recommended using the stock shifter to connect to the transmission and the short rod from Vortex connect from peg to swivel bracket. Some have used both without a problem, but I prefer to do it properly to avoid further trouble and the ease of adjusting the feel of each shift. It should look like so:

Using the OEM Screw, tighten the swivel bracket.

Since the stock rod took away the attention of the beautiful rearset, I spray painted so that it matches while it's off.

4. Now moving on to the brake side. If you haven't already bought the hydrolic brake light switch, go here:

Why do we need it? Because your brake light will not work with the new rearset. The stock rearset has 2 springs attached to your foot brake lever. One is to trigger the brake light, while the other pulled the foot lever back to normal position. Since your new rearset is designed differently, you'll need the Brake Light Switch to retain the functionality of your brake light.

Now onto the fun stuff, unscrew the bolt sitting onto of your hydrolic brake pressure and replace it with the brake light switch screw/bolt. There will be brake fluid leaking out, but not much. You don't need to bleed your rear brake. You can if you want to. I would install this first before taking the stock rearset apart, because one, you'll have leverage to unscrew the hydrolic brake system apart and two, the last thing that you'll want is brake fluid dripping down your new rearset. It will eat the paint.

5. Unclip the stock brake light activation wires and wire the new hydrolic brake light switch to it and tape it up with electrical tape. There's no polarity (positive or negative) between the two wires. Connect it either way and test your brake light. (Will it stand the heat? It all depends on how you hide the wires or wether you have the heat shield on.)

Another view:

6. Install the heatshield bracket. I used the longer silver bracket, but use either one to make it fit. Install the heatshield to the rearset from the inside, using the screw that came with the set. The end of the screw will be facing you. Again, this set is made for both 600RR and 1000RR so the set included two brackets, you only have to use one.

The finishing look:

Good luck and enjoy the new look. :icon_supe

Last edited by dreamzboy; 11-10-2008 at 06:23 PM.
dreamzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamzboy For This Useful Post:
cheapdanny (03-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
06silver600_rr
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 42 reviews
great write up
06silver600_rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Chris22783
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice write up - hopefully I can put some of these on someday.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
dreamzboy
Moto GP Racer

I'm loving it. Pricey, but worth it. It changes the whole appearance throughout the bike, yet it will give you a greater lean angle advantages without worrying about scraping your pegs, which what I've done too many times. (Notice the stock peg at step 4).
dreamzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
noobinacan
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
these bad boys are sharp...I have not ridden them at all.
just installed them and took a file to the pegs...
pretty easy to file down the edges....since aluminum.

or they tear up the shoe soles.
noobinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
blacked_out_rr
Knee Dragger

whats the difference between the shift linkage in this picture:
Vortex rearsets install
I was going to put this in the "how to" section but this section gets a little more traffic.

Pretty simply, took about one hour to do the install and take the pictures.

Instructions said to start with the brake, but I went with the shifter first. No real reason, my seat was on that side, so thats were I started.

For the shifter side you really only need a few tools. A 10mm wrench, 14mm wrench/socket and ratchet here, 6mm and 8mm hex sockets, a razor , grease, and some blue loctite(better safe than sorry).

The OEM shifter.

Not much to removing the OEM shifter, just make sure to remove the through bolt on the knuckle or it will not come off.

Here is the Vortex shifter as it came minus the shrink wrap. Good packaging, everything seperated and easy to unwrap.

The Vortex instructions are pretty good, but they could have been better. Reading comprehension is a must because the pictures are really lacking. On the right side of the picture you can see the bushing mounted to the lever. You could mount the lever to the controls without the bushing, but I would not advise it.

I used the longer of the two shift rods, pay attention to the rod ends and the shift rod, one side has right hand threads the other has left hand threads for adjusting purposes. Here is the shifter assembled and lubed, ready to be mounted.

Mounted to the bike but with the jam nuts on the shift rod hand tight, I made the final rod adjustments after a couple trips around the block.

and this shift linkage setup:

is it actual feel difference or just for looks.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
blacked_out_rr
Knee Dragger

dont know what happened when i posted the last reply, but wanted to know the difference between the 2 shift linkage setups. is one for better feel and adjustability, or for looks. thanks oh and whats wrong with a single shift linkage

Last edited by blacked_out_rr; 03-18-2010 at 11:49 PM.
blacked_out_rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
I<3mycbr
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Different year models.
I<3mycbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
blacked_out_rr
Knee Dragger

so becuase i have an 03' i have to use that bracket
Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
I<3mycbr
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Yea, yours will look like

You will only use one of the Vortex rods, which one depends on how far back you move the rear set. You can also set it up for the Moto GP style shift pattern, but that is in how you setup the pivot bracket.
I<3mycbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
domon
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Possible problem need help. Please!

vortex rearset on a cbr600rr 2005

I just got some vortex rearset and i was trying to install the new shiftgear arm(metal piece goes on the rode coming out just below the seat (right next to ideal nob) to the shiftgear spindle and my spindle moves back and forth a little bit(first concern, is that normal.) I was lightly tapping the new shiftgear arm on the spindle rod and I was pushing back and up and then I could rotate the spindle arm and I notice it was hitting the the top of the metal case possible on the other side. I was like OH **** so I rotated it back to "normal" position and pulled forward and it "locked" into place and now when I start the bike I hear a faint rattle noise. and the shiftgear spindle(2nd concern it vibrates when bike is on if you push little on it feels like it hits something or rattles.) I just stopped putting the rearset on when this happened I will put the rest of the gearshift rearset on tomorrow, so i haven't even tested if i can change gears yet. I dont understand how I could have broken my gearshift linkage or whatever its called by just removing the old shiftgear arm.
domon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domon For This Useful Post:
Nuttynu (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon View Post
vortex rearset on a cbr600rr 2005

I just got some vortex rearset and i was trying to install the new shiftgear arm(metal piece goes on the rode coming out just below the seat (right next to ideal nob) to the shiftgear spindle and my spindle moves back and forth a little bit(first concern, is that normal.) I was lightly tapping the new shiftgear arm on the spindle rod and I was pushing back and up and then I could rotate the spindle arm and I notice it was hitting the the top of the metal case possible on the other side. I was like OH **** so I rotated it back to "normal" position and pulled forward and it "locked" into place and now when I start the bike I hear a faint rattle noise. and the shiftgear spindle(2nd concern it vibrates when bike is on if you push little on it feels like it hits something or rattles.) I just stopped putting the rearset on when this happened I will put the rest of the gearshift rearset on tomorrow, so i haven't even tested if i can change gears yet. I dont understand how I could have broken my gearshift linkage or whatever its called by just removing the old shiftgear arm.

Hagahaha !! Damn bro you did the exact same thing I just did. Go read my thread in the trouble shoot.

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #13
Dynamic
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oh man, two of these in a few days, vortex and every other rearset company should include a disclaimer not to tap it in with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App