Any DIY's or How To's to learn how to remove the tail fairing on an 05? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > 03-06 RR Modifications

03-06 RR Modifications 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 Modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
KwikStix
Knee Dragger
 
KwikStix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 242
Thanks: 62
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any DIY's or How To's to learn how to remove the tail fairing on an 05?

I am kind of afraid to just start taking things apart. I know I start under the seat, but after that I'm not sure where to go without possibly ******* something up.

Any info would be greatly appreciated
__________________
Flickr


KwikStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
X-treme1
World Superbike Racer
 
X-treme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 134
Thanked 178 Times in 166 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What year bike?


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.


2010 Leyla
X-treme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
Hsunami
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Hsunami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 774
Thanks: 80
Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if this is ur first bike, i can speak from experience just do it. That is the way your gonna learn when you have to take bolts out and put one in. I also purchased a bolt kit 2-3 months down the road when i pretty much know where all the bolts go. After 2-3 times taking off the fairing and putting it back on u'll pretty much be an expert.

Also a good way to ensure you don't lose your bolt is to take off the bolt then rescrew the bolt back in the exact same spot without the fairing. That way you know where the bolt is coming from.
__________________
2013 BMW S1000RR (Current)
2008 Honda CBR (Gone)
Hsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer
 
Bridge_Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Land O' Cheese
Posts: 6,977
Thanks: 302
Thanked 948 Times in 811 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
follow this video, It's for 07+ but the bolts are roughly in the same locations
When you get all of the bolts out and its time to remove the fairing, it is going to seem like you are going to break the fairing because it has to expand enough to pop over the seat tray. The fairings will stretch, but you have to use some controlled strength. Don't go all hulk on it because then something might break. The first time I removed my tail I about cried because I thought I was going to break them lol
__________________
2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
Bridge_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge_Jumper For This Useful Post:
KwikStix (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
ckalous422
AMA Supersport Racer
 
ckalous422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,070
Thanks: 8
Thanked 107 Times in 87 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
there are 4 bolts under your rear seat, one at each corner, then two more under your front seat once you remove it, they are located at the front tips of the rear plastics, then right under there there is the plastic piece between the frame and the rear plastic you have to loosen all those bolts because there are a couple interlocking plastic tabs connecting those pieces, make sure you also take into account your rear brake light because removing the entire back plastic it may come off with it... then once all the bolts are removed here comes the scary part, stand at the back of your bike grasping the bottom of the plastic and pull apart slightly just enough to pull it over the metal rear frame... then reverse the steps when replacing the piece

attached is a picture of my rear section on my 05, you can see all the locations of the bolts that I described above
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	31152  
__________________
Unless life also hands you sugar and water your lemonade is going to suck
ckalous422 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ckalous422 For This Useful Post:
KwikStix (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer
 
Bridge_Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Land O' Cheese
Posts: 6,977
Thanks: 302
Thanked 948 Times in 811 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^^ you forgot to mention the 2 black push-pin fasteners that hold the tail by the tank. OP once you get both seats off its pretty self explanatory
__________________
2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
Bridge_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
pvn23
Training Wheel Hero
 
pvn23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 47
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why not search for a service manual?


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
pvn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
KwikStix
Knee Dragger
 
KwikStix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 242
Thanks: 62
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've been wanting to put on my passenger pegs for a while, and I also need to do some wiring with my new fender eliminator kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalous422 View Post
there are 4 bolts under your rear seat, one at each corner, then two more under your front seat once you remove it, they are located at the front tips of the rear plastics, then right under there there is the plastic piece between the frame and the rear plastic you have to loosen all those bolts because there are a couple interlocking plastic tabs connecting those pieces, make sure you also take into account your rear brake light because removing the entire back plastic it may come off with it... then once all the bolts are removed here comes the scary part, stand at the back of your bike grasping the bottom of the plastic and pull apart slightly just enough to pull it over the metal rear frame... then reverse the steps when replacing the piece

attached is a picture of my rear section on my 05, you can see all the locations of the bolts that I described above
Thanks for the detailed description!
__________________
Flickr


KwikStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
DAMNitzHENRY
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 101
Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't believe service manuals show how to remove the tail or front fairing, just the lowers and the sides. At least the one I have doesn't.

To OP, if you want a copy of a service manual, I have one for 2006 I can send you, just PM me your email

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
Why not search for a service manual?


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAMNitzHENRY For This Useful Post:
KwikStix (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
pvn23
Training Wheel Hero
 
pvn23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 47
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNitzHENRY View Post
I don't believe service manuals show how to remove the tail or front fairing, just the lowers and the sides. At least the one I have doesn't.

To OP, if you want a copy of a service manual, I have one for 2006 I can send you, just PM me your email
Shouldn't be hard to take either one out. It's a few bolts and trims, you just need to figure it out. Do you have the full service manual? It should show you how to remove the fairings... Or you can always look at the parts lost and see how which bolts hold onto the frame/subframe.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
pvn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
DAMNitzHENRY
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 101
Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, from the video and pictures, it doesn't look to hard.

I double checked the service manual that I had and its actually the owner's manual Name of the file said service manual so I thought it was the service manual or are they the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn23 View Post
Shouldn't be hard to take either one out. It's a few bolts and trims, you just need to figure it out. Do you have the full service manual? It should show you how to remove the fairings... Or you can always look at the parts lost and see how which bolts hold onto the frame/subframe.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
pvn23
Training Wheel Hero
 
pvn23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 47
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nope, service manual is entirely different. Try searching up google for one. There should be quite a lot of them out there.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
pvn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
ckalous422
AMA Supersport Racer
 
ckalous422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,070
Thanks: 8
Thanked 107 Times in 87 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwikStix View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've been wanting to put on my passenger pegs for a while, and I also need to do some wiring with my new fender eliminator kit.



Thanks for the detailed description!
If you plan on removing your rear pegs i suggest getting the rear brake resevoir delete kit, either an aftermarket reservoir that sits behind your rear sets or some use a type of rubber tube but if you leave it I. Stock location there is nothing protecting in case of a lay down.. But ya as stated about rear sets are easy to remove on our 05's it's two Allen bolts on each side
__________________
Unless life also hands you sugar and water your lemonade is going to suck
ckalous422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
bshantz
Training Wheel Hero
 
bshantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 21
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When removing the rear fairing, spread the sides outward in order to get it over the frame. It may seem like you are putting a lot of stress on the plastics but need not worry. I remember taking my fairings off the first time and if the fairing didn't just "fall" off after removing the bolts, I would have a hard time bringing myself to force it off. In the end, the fairings are stronger than you think and once you do it once, it is soo easy after that.

Good luck.

Oh and pick up a Clymers.
bshantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
KwikStix
Knee Dragger
 
KwikStix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 242
Thanks: 62
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalous422 View Post
If you plan on removing your rear pegs i suggest getting the rear brake resevoir delete kit, either an aftermarket reservoir that sits behind your rear sets or some use a type of rubber tube but if you leave it I. Stock location there is nothing protecting in case of a lay down.. But ya as stated about rear sets are easy to remove on our 05's it's two Allen bolts on each side
Bike already has the relocation kit on it... I'm talking about putting the pegs back on haha.
__________________
Flickr


KwikStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
DAMNitzHENRY
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 101
Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey OP, I just did my heat shield removal today. First time removing the tail fairing and it wasn't that bad. Like ckalous42 said, 4 screws under passenger seat, 2 screws under the driver seat near the front of the fairing, and 2 under the fairing. it was a lot simpler than I thought lol
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #17
careboy
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this is really cool, I like here!

careboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
KwikStix
Knee Dragger
 
KwikStix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 242
Thanks: 62
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNitzHENRY View Post
Hey OP, I just did my heat shield removal today. First time removing the tail fairing and it wasn't that bad. Like ckalous42 said, 4 screws under passenger seat, 2 screws under the driver seat near the front of the fairing, and 2 under the fairing. it was a lot simpler than I thought lol

Yup, I got her all taken apart in just a few mins. Thanks for the help everyone
__________________
Flickr


KwikStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.



Powered by: vBulletin | vBadvanced CMPS & Gallery
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum