is anyone thinking of getting a liter bike? - Page 3 : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #61
PdubRR
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No interest in a liter bike. I'm more the other way. My favorite bike was my NSR250/MC21 (60hp, under 300lbs). Could wring that thing's neck and rail it. Makes our 600RR's almost feel lardy. The 600's have started to hone in on the balance & flickability of the 250's like the 1000's have started to approach 600's weight & handling territory but not totally. To me it's all about the bike's sweet spot. Where it likes to live in the revs vs speed of the roads. For public roads and canyon carving the 600's almost perfect. To me it' doesn't start to hit that sweet spot till you're doing about 65-70mph and is singing between there and 100. Below and above that and there are better tools for the job. In the tight twisties where turns are between 15-40mph the 600RR is a decent compromise. You can't really wring it's neck but it'll do it effortlessly, like Michael Phelps in a backyard swimming pool. Liter bikes never really hit their sweet spot on the street. Maybe some guys will like to find a spot to bust over 120 on a free piece of highway but the 1k's are just starting to stretch their legs before you run out of open road. On the street it's like using a chainsaw to trim rose bushes. You could do it but, unnecessary unless you just like making a lot of noise. I understand people wanting the torque and midrange for the street like someone mentioned above but to me that's basically saying they want a liter bike for stop lights. I'll agree with one of the opinions above that said a Vtwin sport bike is perfect for the street. Has more of the low end you'll use more often than the top end you'll barely touch in a meaningful way.
PdubRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #62
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
Thanks mate, i love her even though ive only put 100 miles on since buying it...

The R1 isn't the best litre bike out there, its probably the slowest and heaviest but for me it looks far better than all the others. The under tail pipes are a must and from the front it looks like an evil alien type of insect... I could have got any litre bike but the R1 is what i wanted..

Currently im having some upgrades on it and have only had the bike in my possession for a week the rest of the time its been spent at the dealers.

Ive not mentioned this before but it was stolen the last time i rode it. I took it out for a last spin before putting her to be, i was out for an hour then pulled up outside my house. I went inside to take my helmet and gloves off and to unlock my back gate, all this took about a minuet but when i went back outside the bike was gone.

To cut a long story short 3 youngish guy's had pushed it away, myself and a friend found it 2 hours later stashed in a small woods on a park. There was damage, they had forced it between two concrete bollards causing damage to both side fairings and the had pulled on the ignition wires. I sent it back to the dealers and they told me the ignition aerial was fvcked so that had to be replaced with the fairings....

I decided last week that as it was winter here now i would have other work carried out. Two new Akra cans, tail tidy, rear cowl, cat removal, and now she has arrived in Nottingham for a complete new paint job. Ive always loved the yellow swan colours below is a picture of what it will look like when done. Sadly i wont get it back till February but i wouldn't of been riding until March at the earliest anyway...
So sorry to hear that, glad you were able to recover it at least. Damn punks! Pretty sure all the waiting will make you take it out for a 2 hour ride straight once it's time. Best of luck, looking forward to the pics.

Co-President of Team46

Married to Shin Soo-Ji (7/7/2013)

Amat Victoria Curam

Last edited by Rad Rage; 12-06-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #63
clx
World Superbike Racer

1000 is an emotional purchase. 600 makes logically more sense, for commuting that is, but then i could argue the same for a 250 vs 600.

buddy used to commute to work on a 125, and he got to work every time , except for the day he highsided his shoulder into oblivion.

but your question wasnt about that, so ill shut up

2005 600rr 35700km
2001 Isuzu kb 320 V6 LX double cab 210000km
clx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 AM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #64
MadMatt
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmoore View Post
Recent comparison tests favour the GSXR1000 first for street then blade, it was a jap comparison, that suzuki result surprised me but it made the most power in the street range and was only 4bhp off the zx10r's peak power win, i still like the Honda quality and brand better though but that is food for thought

R1 i think did worst for street riding range(below 10k rpm) on the 2012 bikes, sorry MadMatt

They still picked the ZX10R as best all round(included track which most people dont do) then the suzuki then honda then yamaha's, but for street where my interest is i think it would've gone Suzuki, Honda, Kawsaki, Yamaha, obviously this is all seperate from 2011 and will be seperate from 2013...thats the thing whos top each year can change, i think honda's held a good spot throughout the years peaking as best every now and then, such as 2008

I like the tail end, don't like their headlights though, worse than the S1000RR's to me

1000's good because if you get it wrong you die...natural selection :)
Its ok mate, i know the R1 falls behind on performance compared to the others but looks he best imo. A re-flash of the ecu changes all this and speaking to people that have had it done say its a must for the R1, it becomes a completely different bike...
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #65
MadMatt
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
So sorry to hear that, glad you were able to recover it at least. Damn punks! Pretty sure all the waiting will make you take it out for a 2 hour ride straight once it's time. Best of luck, looking forward to the pics.
Cheers mate, i did reap revenge on one of them, just two to find....
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #66
RedisFaster
AMA Supersport Racer

I started on a 2000 F4i, then it was stolen and I bought an 05 1000rr. Totalled that one after 2 years and bought my 07 600rr. The 1000 had a ton of power which was awesome..and it wasnt that much heavier than my 600 but it sure did feel alot heavier. Personally, I have more fun on the 600 and it feels more "flickable". But I guess it's a matter of preference. It's not like the 1000rr didnt handle well, I just felt more comfortable on the 600rr.
Plus tires and oil changes are cheaper on a 600.
RedisFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM
brmoore
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #67
love2ride
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
Its ok mate, i know the R1 falls behind on performance compared to the others but looks he best imo. A re-flash of the ecu changes all this and speaking to people that have had it done say its a must for the R1, it becomes a completely different bike...
Yep I agree. My mate has a 2009 R1 with Akrapovic Slip ons, re-flash and a PCV. I rode it on the track and though it was a bit soft in the suspension setup, it pulled amazing coming out of every corner and down the straights.

At no point did I feel that the bike didn't have enough power. And the sound with the Akras It ******* roars. Incredible.

Out of the Japanese bikes, it would be a close call between the CBR and R1 for me. But in the end I would choose the R1 for all the character it has.

| 2008 Ducati 1098 | 2009 Yamaha R6|

Past: 2004 Yamaha R1 | 2005 CBR600RR
love2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
brmoore
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #68
MadMatt
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
didnt see your post about the lost bike! woah, 1 minute and the ignition barrel is buggered and its in the woods...where abouts? better not be near me

i know how you feel i damaged a bike myself once...not even any point in claiming my excess will mean i get fudge all and my rip off prices will go up so i'd literally kill anyone trying to take my bike, i'm never more than 2 feet till its locked up or parked under cctv in view of people/workers/office blocks

here's something to cheer you up, turn your bike into something like it:

It happened where i live mate near Wythenshawe, as i said we found one of the culprits and trust me he wont be stealing bikes for some time to come.....

Although i do like yellow that particular yellow R1 does nothing for me, they had the exact same one at Yamaha Wigan where i got mine from and didn't like the colour scheme.....

I don't think everyone loves the look of the R1 and i see very few of them on the road. Its a personal thing, you say you like the front lights what about the pipes and there location under the seat?? Oh and you need to hear one, they really do sound good.. The BMW is growing on me....
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #69
MadMatt
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2ride View Post
Yep I agree. My mate has a 2009 R1 with Akrapovic Slip ons, re-flash and a PCV. I rode it on the track and though it was a bit soft in the suspension setup, it pulled amazing coming out of every corner and down the straights.

At no point did I feel that the bike didn't have enough power. And the sound with the Akras It ******* roars. Incredible.

Out of the Japanese bikes, it would be a close call between the CBR and R1 for me. But in the end I would choose the R1 for all the character it has.
These are my exact thoughts mate, the R1 has so much character although if the CBR would have kept its pipes under the seat i may have been tempted to go with that....
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #70
DAMNitzHENRY
Knee Dragger

I don't think I'll ever go up to 1K. Probably kill me self lol
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAMNitzHENRY For This Useful Post:
brmoore (12-08-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #71
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

I like the R1 cans on the tail. They look and sound sweet, but other than that I think it's not too purrdy! lol!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...png?1316467507

highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #72
Keith316
Premium Member

I test rode a 2012 R1 at the ocean city bike fest and it was pretty crazy, pulled throughout the entire rpm range and had more than enough power. It kind of sounded like a V8 muscle car in a way. But the thing was heavy(for me)'and taking off it had this terible vibration. It only had like 2000 miles on it. I don't know if it was supposed to be like that or someone messed it up but i like my 600 better. Smooth as glass through the wholebrpm range and still more power than i need.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Motorcycle.com Free App
Keith316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #73
Hrcfan1
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I currently own an 08 1000rr. It's a great bike but I'm going back to the 600. I think the liter bikes are great but I have no need for it. I like the handling of the 600 much better. It's better suited for the riding I do.
Hrcfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #74
tony_opie
Training Wheel Hero

How much u selling ur 1000rr for?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Motorcycle.com Free App
tony_opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #75
Hrcfan1
Lifetime Premium

I'd like to get 7k for it.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #76
MadMatt
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith316 View Post
I test rode a 2012 R1 at the ocean city bike fest and it was pretty crazy, pulled throughout the entire rpm range and had more than enough power. It kind of sounded like a V8 muscle car in a way. But the thing was heavy(for me)'and taking off it had this terible vibration. It only had like 2000 miles on it. I don't know if it was supposed to be like that or someone messed it up but i like my 600 better. Smooth as glass through the wholebrpm range and still more power than i need.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Motorcycle.com Free App
The 2012 R1 is definitely far to heavy, over the last few years its been packing on the lbs but with the right mods that weight soon drops off...

That vibration when taking off is normal for most litre bikes and again with a few tweaks on the ecu it can be eliminated...

Do you remember what mode you had it in?? Mine is still on standard mode for now as thats more than enough, A mode is scary fast...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #77
havok289
Pocketbike Racer

I'm actually debating on getting me a cb1000r sometime soon, love the naked look of them and for riding around town I think I would like the more upright seating and handle bars. That's the only liter I'm thinking of doing.

Gorgeous bike...

- 2004 CBR1000rr - Sold
- 2008 CBR600rr - In action

->Spiegler SS Brake Lines
->Renthal grips
->China gold levers
->Brake Res. Delete
->Leo Vince SBK Slip on
->OES frame sliders
->HotBodies flush mounts
->CBR Heaven fender eliminator
->BKmoto 35w HID 6000k
havok289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #78
moto x
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I Have ridden a few 1k's a 929 Which I didn't really like. Than I got to ride my buddies 12 RC8 Which was awesome. Than I rode my friends 08 1krr and fell in love. I'm trying to get a 12 white 1krr. But insurance is stupid.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
brmoore
Old 12-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #79
tony_opie
Training Wheel Hero

Anyone ever try the ktm rc8?

tony_opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #80
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_opie View Post
Anyone ever try the ktm rc8?

got to sit on one lol. a buddy of mine has one. he absolutely loves it. he has rode for quite a few years, owned lots of bikes and he said its its favorite.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #81
love2ride
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

haha I don't get what the obsession with the R1's look is, the headlights are ok but other than that...im not drawn to its looks like everybody seems to be, alot of people have commented they sound good but not really heard many in person can't comment, i spend too much time at honda dealerships

Character is an excuse to buy something not a reason haha

in terms of jap bikes for the street, the fireblade does seem to win alot of the 'road tests' to be fair...soon as you add europe and track its all over the place the bmw came out and did win a couple...and then the zx10r's peak power comes in etc, i'd be happy with a blade it doesnt do anything wrong
Looks are subjective, I agree. I think they look different, mean and aggressive.

There is nothing wrong with the blade. It just feels to similar to the other japanese bikes. Nothing that really sets it apart. But no major shortcomings either. I rode one at 170whp set up for the track and it was an absolute midrange animal.

Owning a Ducati has made me all about the character haha. I don't know. The R1, like the 1098 made me feel special when I rode them. The other bikes don't really do that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith316 View Post
But the thing was heavy(for me)'and taking off it had this terible vibration. It only had like 2000 miles on it. I don't know if it was supposed to be like that or someone messed it up but i like my 600 better. Smooth as glass through the wholebrpm range and still more power than i need.
Don't ever buy a V-twin then

Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #82
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2ride View Post
Looks are subjective, I agree. I think they look different, mean and aggressive.

There is nothing wrong with the blade. It just feels to similar to the other japanese bikes. Nothing that really sets it apart. But no major shortcomings either. I rode one at 170whp set up for the track and it was an absolute midrange animal.

Owning a Ducati has made me all about the character haha. I don't know. The R1, like the 1098 made me feel special when I rode them. The other bikes don't really do that for me.

Don't ever buy a V-twin then
neither of mine rattle lol. the RSV1000r is smooth! and the 1500 vulcan has gobs of torque!!
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #83
ZX6RRection
Training Wheel Hero

Got my ass handed to me by a Fireblade on sat...so yeah

....I wanT one
ZX6RRection is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZX6RRection For This Useful Post:
brmoore (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #84
love2ride
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
neither of mine rattle lol. the RSV1000r is smooth! and the 1500 vulcan has gobs of torque!!
It doesn't rattle. Just not so smooth below 2k. But it's very smooth with tons or torque above that.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #85
clilholt
Knee Dragger

If you've got the money man the 1199 wouldn't be a bad buy. i have to say the 1000rr will never leave you stranded and is a phenomenal bike.. id scratch the v4 idea and honestly im not incredibly impressed with ktm, give them a few years to work out the small issues. I have read up a lot on the rsv4 and cant really figure them out, I have read awful articles that would make me never buy one and others that have glorified it. Nobody ever regrets their rr..
clilholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM
brmoore
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #86
MadMatt
Pocketbike Racer

If i didn't have my R1 i would give serious thought to a bmw s1000rr, the Hp4 is well out of my price range...
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 AM
brmoore
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #87
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm thinking between the S1000RR (not HP4, but earlier model) and a 1000RR Blade. They both seem very good bikes. A friend was saying his ZX10 is great, but I don't think I could get into buying a Kiwi. And like another rider commented, the RSV4 seems like a gamble :| some say its the best bike and .... others say its terrible.
And the Panigale 1199 is 22k OTD at most dealerships on the prairies but that's the base model. I sat on a few this past summer and man they feel sic!!!! But the price is unreal for them lol!!! but I could finance one for two or three years easily but having to deal with all the services

Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #88
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

And what about the MV Augusta's F4? I bet trying to find a seat cowl would be next to impossible. Such a rare bike

Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #89
slowboyracing
Super Vendor

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I think, if you aren't going to get an exotic aka Ducati, BMW, MV Agusta, KTM etc... Nothing beats an 09+ R1. Cross-plane motors sound so damn good, and lets be honest, the fit and finish of Yamaha's are just great.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #90
Hrcfan1
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonlakai View Post
And what about the MV Augusta's F4? I bet trying to find a seat cowl would be next to impossible. Such a rare bike

My friend just got an F4rr. Not a fan. A lot of $ for an aging design. Doesn't stack up in the shoot outs either. He also has an 1198 corse tri color. I'd take that over the F4rr.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Current Rides:
2013 CBR 600RR Repsol
2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC
1998 CBR 600 F3 Smokin Joe's

Past Rides:
2008 CBR 1000RR
2007 CBR 600RR
2006 CBR 600RR
1996 CBR 600 F3 Smokin Joe's
Sponsored Links