German cars - not sure what to get. : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Eurodriver
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
German cars - not sure what to get.

After having been failed by Ford like a billion times, and not wanting to drive a riced out Civic like every other guy my age I bought a Mercedes C230 about 3 years ago.

First off, its a wonderful car. Its not a race car at all, but when you set the cruise control to 115 and sip on your Espresso I remember why I bought it. With that said, its alot sportier and hugs the ground during turns alot better than some "sports cars" I've driven.

But now I want something a bit sportier (and by sportier, I mean faster). I'm willing to sacrifice having people ask me "Bro, is your car running?" at redlights for a bit more performance. Not alot mind you, I might take it to a track a few times a year, but thats it. Its not a race car and I still want that comfort a luxury car has. I just want a bit more pickup and a manual tranny is almost required

I'm really looking at the BMW 3 series, but Mercedes has really taken care of me...but they don't have manual trannies. The BMW M series is nice too, but I don't have money like that.

Audi seems to be encroaching on the Mercedes/BMW market, but my buddy had HORRIBLE luck with his ride. He was paying $700/mo in repairs for like 4 months before he traded it in.

Thoughts?
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd stay away from Audi. Cousin's wife had a horrible time with here TT Quatro. Think its a combo of bad parts and idiot Audi Techs. With you driving what you have, BMW is prob your best bet. But if you don't mind straying from the luxury lines you may want to try out a Subu. Or find a older porche. Now if you can go to a couple you may want to look at either the Infinity g37 or the nissan 370z. They haven't seem to have alot of issues and cost about the same as a BMW (depending on the series)
lownslo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Eurodriver
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslo600 View Post
I'd stay away from Audi. Cousin's wife had a horrible time with here TT Quatro. Think its a combo of bad parts and idiot Audi Techs. With you driving what you have, BMW is prob your best bet. But if you don't mind straying from the luxury lines you may want to try out a Subu. Or find a older porche. Now if you can go to a couple you may want to look at either the Infinity g37 or the nissan 370z. They haven't seem to have alot of issues and cost about the same as a BMW (depending on the series)
That's exactly what my buddy had! Was broken almost every weekend.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

yeap doesn't suprise me. Those and the a4's I think have the worst probs. Now I'm not sure if they fixed it on the newer models, but I doubt it. She had to replace her turbo 2 times, computer issues, crappy window motors, etc. Now when it was new, it was a blast. Handles well, good power...but reliability in a high performance car is a must.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
daisoman
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

I'm really looking at the BMW 3 series, but Mercedes has really taken care of me...but they don't have manual trannies.
Not true. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1354740383.314294.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	31172

My w203 sounds just what you described. Loves to take corners, steady in hwy speeds, luxurious, quick enough and as long as you maintain it, it's not too bad. There are no AMG's in stick however.

Since mine is lowered with low profile tires the RR is equal in comfort with the Benz. :$

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1354740885.201925.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	31175

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by daisoman; 12-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
daisoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
salsaleh
AMA Supersport Racer

personally if money was an important factor, Id go with one of the below VWs, they ride amazing, great handling, very smooth and stylish, and most importantly, made by the same company that makes Lambos

Japanese:
toyota gt86

nismo 370z

German:
Cayman R

bmw 1M

AUDI ttrs

and the best value for money
golf R20

scirocco r20

American:
Corvette z06

Your daily dose of pre-workout motivation, fitness articles, and whatever it takes to go beast-mode on em

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Painan...40363356065027
salsaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

I love my bmw... for a 12 year old car its still very quick and looks good! the newer ones are even better!!... I have staid up on maintenance and other then window regulators I have had nothing unexpectedly go out on me and i have 150k on her right meow...

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

c><----- Save the TA-TA's----------c><
sumone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
genequit
AMA Supersport Racer

sorry im partial to vw's. have you considered an r32?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
spiritofkaos1
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i like my e36. and the straight 6 feels like she just wants to pull forever. of course she's not as fast as the newer rides out there, but i just like to cruise when i'm driving.

SGT Mario Kawika Deleon
05.11.80 - 04.16.07

team white.

2009 phoenix - crashed [june BOTM winner]
2007 all white - the current ride
1997 328i - protection from the elements

www.facebook.com/spiritofkaos1
spiritofkaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
BLUETORI
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslo600 View Post
Are you an idiot it's Quattro and Porsche,plus I own an 09 Audi estate and there is nothing wrong with it of course everyone thinks that BMW is the best I don't know why? They charge you for every single option. On top of that I wouldn't consider Subaru luxury.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
lownslo600
AMA Supersport Racer

Idiot? Lol..mad? Look at the reviews man. Just b/c you have been lucky doesnt mean everyone does. Audi service is cheap? Yeah bwm charges but i believe we were talking about reliability. So chill out dude, not only is it My opinion but many others feel the same way.
Also he didnt say it had to be luxury, just not some ricer
Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
scotts06rr
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETORI View Post
Are you an idiot it's Quattro and Porsche,plus I own an 09 Audi estate and there is nothing wrong with it of course everyone thinks that BMW is the best I don't know why? They charge you for every single option. On top of that I wouldn't consider Subaru luxury.
Of course there's nothing wrong with it its a 09. It would be sad if there was. As a mechanic I would never buy a German car, unless I had plenty of money and could just pay someone to fix it. German cars are harder to work on then most and the parts are expensive.

Edit; saab is the worst car ever made.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
scotts06rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Eurodriver
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts06rr View Post
As a mechanic I would never buy a German car, unless I had plenty of money and could just pay someone to fix it. German cars are harder to work on then most and the parts are expensive.

I vehemently disagree with most of this.

I have done all of the work on my car that its required, except some minor warranty work when it was still under warranty (Why pay for whats free?)

All basic maintenance is extremely easy. Way easier than any Japanese Econobox or Detroit parking lot warrior. As far as serious engine work goes, I wouldn't know. Because this is the first car I've owned that didn't require any! I'll never own a Ford (2 blown head gaskets and countless tranny problems) again and while my sister did own a Honda Accord that made it up to 230,000 miles before she rear ended a truck, it was not the most comfortable thing to drive.

As far as parts being expensive, yeah. Doing my own brakes (front rotors and pads) it costs about $400 for OEM parts. But I don't feel thats far off from any other OEM brake job that has drilled rotors on a performance car. (Lexus, for example)
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
HardRacing.
Official Sponsor

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Where are you at that you can set the cruise at 115 ?

HardRacing. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

Quote:
Of course there's nothing wrong with it its a 09. It would be sad if there was. As a mechanic I would never buy a German car, unless I had plenty of money and could just pay someone to fix it. German cars are harder to work on then most and the parts are expensive.

Edit; saab is the worst car ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
I vehemently disagree with most of this.

I have done all of the work on my car that its required, except some minor warranty work when it was still under warranty (Why pay for whats free?)

All basic maintenance is extremely easy. Way easier than any Japanese Econobox or Detroit parking lot warrior. As far as serious engine work goes, I wouldn't know. Because this is the first car I've owned that didn't require any! I'll never own a Ford (2 blown head gaskets and countless tranny problems) again and while my sister did own a Honda Accord that made it up to 230,000 miles before she rear ended a truck, it was not the most comfortable thing to drive.

As far as parts being expensive, yeah. Doing my own brakes (front rotors and pads) it costs about $400 for OEM parts. But I don't feel thats far off from any other OEM brake job that has drilled rotors on a performance car. (Lexus, for example)

having worked on my car and some of my friends hondas, toyotas, vw's and chevies I have to agree 100% with Eurodrive. My car is by far the easiest and well though out of any of them... I have done every thing short of a complete rebuild (and probably will soon) by my self and with ease. I mean the hardest part about changing my oil is having to drive onto blocks because my car sits to low to get a jack under the front ... the oil filter could not be easier to get too... sure parts are more expensive but IMO they are better quality.

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
scotts06rr
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post

having worked on my car and some of my friends hondas, toyotas, vw's and chevies I have to agree 100% with Eurodrive. My car is by far the easiest and well though out of any of them... I have done every thing short of a complete rebuild (and probably will soon) by my self and with ease. I mean the hardest part about changing my oil is having to drive onto blocks because my car sits to low to get a jack under the front ... the oil filter could not be easier to get too... sure parts are more expensive but IMO they are better quality.
What kind of car do you own? Just wondering

Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
daisoman
AMA Supersport Racer

Eurodrive are you on mbworld.org?

Stick to a c350 manual or slk350 if that's your thing. 300+ HP and somewhat luxurious and sporty. Best of both worlds.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
DAMNitzHENRY
Knee Dragger

try some research into the hyundai genesis coupe. They're pretty cheap, super long warranties and quite fast. My friend had a 2010 2.0T and with some mods, it almost kept up with my 06 Mustang GT. the 3.5 model would probably be dead even with my mustang without any mods

Hyundai has also been pushing to make their cars more luxury type so it could fit your taste
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
rlee350
AMA Supersport Racer

I had a e46 BMW m3 and let me tell you what a POS. the maintenance is ridiculous even having a BMW master mechanic as a friend parts were not cheap. The M series require BMW M series oil 7 quarts or some shiz at a dealer cost 300-400 bucks. At first I was like BS then I looked at the bottle and its specifically engineered for M series 10w-60 and 2 filters. Ok besides all that the electronic and interior in that car just fell apart. The windows wouldn't open, door locks didn't unlock, ac did its own thing (like full to low full to low), and the headlight was intermittent. All expensive! This of course all happened 6 years later from purchase. The newer models may have upped there game but I'm done with German engineering. If only you could put a German engineered car with Japanese electronics. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
rlee350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
rlee350
AMA Supersport Racer

Attachment 31190

Last edited by rlee350; 02-22-2013 at 06:23 PM.
rlee350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #21
HighzerOfLife
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:

Hes got a BMW e46 325i or 328i cant remember.
HighzerOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
AleksV
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
not sure if it was mentioned already, but make sure you have warranty with any German car.
AleksV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
scotts06rr
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee350 View Post
Attachment 31190

Your car looks sexy

Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighzerOfLife View Post
Quote:

Hes got a BMW e46 325i or 328i cant remember.

close its a 01 e46 330i

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
HighzerOfLife
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post
close its a 01 e46 330i
oooo ooo sorry mr big shot.
HighzerOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #26
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighzerOfLife View Post
oooo ooo sorry mr big shot.
says the guy with a 2011 :p

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #27
crashkhanman
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If you want performance and luxury that's pretty affordable: Go with a 2007-2010 BMW 335i twin turbo w/ JB4 or JB5.

Brother currently has one and he has had it running 385hp at the rear w/ minimal upgrades @ 15psi dyno'd.

He now is running 18/19psi and is probably closer to 430-445hp @ the rear wheels.
Nesba/N2/PRE/TPM/Roger Lyle "A" Group #44

'12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ~ Crashed/SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black ~ SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Phoenix TrackOnly ~SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Red/Black ~SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Blue/Silver ~SOLD

Last edited by crashkhanman; 12-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.
crashkhanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
daisoman
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkhanman View Post
If you want performance and luxury that's pretty affordable: Go with a 2007-2010 BMW 335i twin turbo w/ JB4 or JB5.

Brother currently has one and he has had it running 385hp at the rear w/ minimal upgrades @ 15psi dyno'd.

He now is running 18/19psi and is probably closer to 430-445hp @ the rear wheels.
Does not sound reliable tho.....
I'd stick to NA if reliability matters.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
Eurodriver
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkhanman View Post

While that sounds pretty nice, there is no way I'm going to run a boosted car at 18psi in a daily driver.

430hp in a 3 series BMW is way in excess of anything I want. If I want to go even remotely as fast as that, I'll hop on my CBR.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #30
BLUETORI
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
Does not sound reliable tho.....
I'd stick to NA if reliability matters.

Those cars come with twin turbos. But I don't understand how anyone who consider a 335 affordable. Their rediculously overpriced.
Advertisement