is dainese really THAT good? - Page 3 : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > Helmets, Leathers, Boots & Gloves

Helmets, Leathers, Boots & Gloves Discuss and ask questions about your gear here

Sponsored by SportbikeTrackGear

Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #61
SJTrance
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I swear, I had a very tough time choosing between that GMX Motion jacket vs the Dainese Razon perf jacket that I just ordered. I've heard nothing but great things about it. Only thing that swayed me back to Dainese was that I had several Dainese pants that I had wanted the jacket to mate to. I didn't want to sow the zipper on because I had tried that once unsuccessfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #62
calcifer
Training Wheel Hero

so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaku View Post
That's a good point, the zippers are a PITA.
It seems sad that I developed preferences among the sizes of paperclips I used to replace the pulls that tore off the zippers on my Dainese jacket. Too big and they would bend, too small and they would get lost. An understated black jacket somehow bedazzled by Office Depot.

On the other hand, it's nice to know I'm not the only one facing this problem.
calcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #63
AF4iK
World Superbike Racer

I've never owned Dianese gear but my buddy has the Alien and it looks really nice. Very refined looking in terms of all the seam work, material, etc. I do feel it's overpriced though because it's a fashion item. But if you can afford it why not?

I, on the other hand, have a very similar looking jacket made by a Canadian company called Velocity. It looks like the Alien without the branding and I got it for $350 out the door. The leather is also much more pliable and comfortable compared to the stiffer leather on the Alien (dunno if that's good or bad).
AF4iK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #64
FightingChance
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
I've never owned Dianese gear but my buddy has the Alien and it looks really nice. Very refined looking in terms of all the seam work, material, etc. I do feel it's overpriced though because it's a fashion item. But if you can afford it why not?

I, on the other hand, have a very similar looking jacket made by a Canadian company called Velocity. It looks like the Alien without the branding and I got it for $350 out the door. The leather is also much more pliable and comfortable compared to the stiffer leather on the Alien (dunno if that's good or bad).
Motorcycle jacket leather is at least 1.3mm thick; fashion leather is more like 0.5mm. Hopefully you didn't get the latter.
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #65
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Motorcycle jacket leather is at least 1.3mm thick; fashion leather is more like 0.5mm. Hopefully you didn't get the latter.

And considering Dainese is known for their presoftened leather, I would take a second look at that Velocity jacket before I assume it will offer the same level of protection.

Co-President of Team46

Married to Shin Soo-Ji (7/7/2013)

Amat Victoria Curam
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #66
AF4iK
World Superbike Racer

It's claimed to be similar thickness. I don't know for sure what thickness it actually is.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #67
LukeJoseph
Pocketbike Racer

Why the hell this is this thread 3 pages long. The answer is YES (if you can fit into it).
LukeJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #68
Ry6rr
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 4/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Dainese

Yes. I'm more than happy with my Dainese kit and it offers excellent fit, quality and protection. In my opinion it's well worth the extra premium that you pay for it.
Ry6rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #69
Jason@STG
Official Platinum Sponsor

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeJoseph View Post
Why the hell this is this thread 3 pages long. The answer is YES (if you can fit into it).
More like YES if they've actually got it in stock.
Jason@STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #70
Mina
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

For an extra 100-200, you could have gotten a nice Dainese jacket. Not knocking the Velocity stuff, it just really bothers me that he's copying the Dainese designs and passing them off as "original"...

Not that it matters, if the jacket is well constructed it will protect you, branding has nothing to do with it. Though, I would be very weary after reading some of the reviews about his original suits.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #71
AF4iK
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
For an extra 100-200, you could have gotten a nice Dainese jacket. Not knocking the Velocity stuff, it just really bothers me that he's copying the Dainese designs and passing them off as "original"...

Not that it matters, if the jacket is well constructed it will protect you, branding has nothing to do with it. Though, I would be very weary after reading some of the reviews about his original suits.
LOL I remember that thread. I just wanted a basic leather riding jacket under $400 for cool weather and this fit the bill. Before that, I was either wearing mesh or my casual leather jacket so I'm confident this thing will protect better than those. For a suit I'll definitely shop elsewhere.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #72
AbnInf
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
The quality of their leathers is good but their zippers suck IMO. I have pairs of levi's that have better zippers than my Laguna Seca jacket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoto_25 View Post
Sincalirider you are right. The zippers are sub par compared to Astar. I prefer the semi locking zippers on my Astar Tech 1R suit over the metal pull tabs on the Dainese.
I've had Dainese gear for years. Never once have I had a problem with a zipper. I bought an A Stars GPR last month (sweet). It does not have locking zippers. It's the same as Dainese. You secure them with the tabs, no big deal. The $900 GP Tech has locking zippers in the cuffs, but not the chest. GP Plus, TZ-1, most have regular zippers.

AbnInf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #73
Jon2xmanuel
Training Wheel Hero

I've used from Icon to Alpinestar...but those brands has nothing compared to the comfort and quality that my Dainese Mugello has to offer :fact

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jon2xmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #74
launchforwards
Knee Dragger

Regarding prices, you can actually get a more reasonable price if you order from the online Italian moto-shops, but of course you will have to wait a considerable amount of time longer. Having some experience with overseas retailers, I wouldn't recommend it, but it is an option for those who want to try Dainese's higher end stuff.

I've done both, and I prefer just going to stateside stores, and it's still worth the premium imo. You'll feel it as soon as you have it in your hands.
launchforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #75
truebeliever
Training Wheel Hero

My laguna seca fits amazing and is super comfortable, the only other company I can see myself switching to is RS-Taichi but they run a very similar price range.
truebeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #76
JpakMoto1
Training Wheel Hero

dianese all the wayyyy

Last edited by JpakMoto1; 06-17-2013 at 02:32 AM.
JpakMoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement