» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Meeting Point > United Kingdom

United Kingdom A place for riders from the UK to set up group rides

Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #31
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oh right! Ive never checked, just looked at the workshop manual. Seems odd its not fitted though
kritip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
Sponger
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritip View Post
oh right! Ive never checked, just looked at the workshop manual. Seems odd its not fitted though
Its for the stricter emission regulations in the U.S. (mainly California).
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58

Sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
brmoore
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
haha you seemed quite convincing
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #34
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

I should do, as itś in the workshop manual, and as its its a EURO 3 specification vehicle, I can believe they don't have to fit it! Iĺl be checking mine in a few days just too make sure
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Raj24v
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm actually enjoying this years down time.. I've got quite a few tasty mods going on in my garage lol.

Still am itching to ride it though.. But I'll pass at 1C!!!!
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
brmoore
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm still confused, for the normal flash rate on the indicators all im reading is we cant use the relay on the euro ones or possibly something to do with us having hazards, or not having running lights or something or other, anyone have particular resisters they recommend?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #37
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

can't help you with resistors cos those f**kers never worked for me, I just wired in two normal bulbs inline with either side to draw out the current. bulbs are taped & tucked away in the tail & indys flash at normal rate.

bit hillbilly but it works if you're stuck
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
AF600RR
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
got an acumen relay on mine and works perfect.

i think our hazard light bikes need a 4 pin relay whereas the american ones have 2 pin relay. check acumens website or ebay and you should get it sorted. never a fan of resistors
AF600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #39
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

yes u can use the relay...please dont install resistors and def dont install bulbs tucked away it may work but as you say...proper ghetto.

just buy the relay that fits ur bike and dont install resistors it really is THAT easy..honestly! Its the simplist and cleanest way to do it!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #40
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
def dont install bulbs tucked away it may work but as you say...proper ghetto
while I respect that everyone's opinion is different, don't call me a retard just because my idea doesn't match yours. I installed bulbs because it was the quickest & cheapest option for me at the time & to date I've had no issues & so no reason to buy a relay, especially with the mixed reviews I've heard about them.

brmoore rides his bike everyday, I suggested a way that WILL work & its simple, IF HE WAS STUCK.

"ghetto"? yes of course. retarded? no, I've seen it done countless times, maybe you haven't but that gives you no right to call me a retard, you don't know me

good day to you
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #41
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

Its a little man pulling a funny face. Sure the emoticon is labelled retard, but this is an American site where the context and meaning is not the same as in the UK,. Its just a silly little picture used in jest...there were plenty of others I could have used

Didn't mean to offend, bowing out of this thread now, do what you like
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #42
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Didn't mean to offend
I'll accept that
Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #43
ash2020
AMA Supersport Racer

brmoore i may be wrong but i think what you may be on about is this
i think with my oem relay if i wanted to put my hazards on i had to turn the ignition on first and then hazards would work as would indicators( not really ideal imo as if you were to brake down on motorway for eg and you wanted to leave your hazards on for however long to get help etc etc you would have to leave your ignition on key in bike whereas when/if you install an aftermarket led flasher relay not only does it correct your flash rate it also allows your hazards/indicators to work without your ignition been turned on
just have to make sure you dont leave an indicator turned on when you park bike up,mind you i dont think leds use much power
thats what i recall with mine when i unplugged my oem relay and plugged in aftermarket
the aftermarket will also work with any combination of bulbs for eg filiment infront leds in rear all leds,all filiments etc etc
i think mine is a acumen ,ill find out if you want
dont know if that helps or not
ash2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #44
AF600RR
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan-rr5 View Post
while I respect that everyone's opinion is different, don't call me a retard just because my idea doesn't match yours. I installed bulbs because it was the quickest & cheapest option for me at the time & to date I've had no issues & so no reason to buy a relay, especially with the mixed reviews I've heard about them.

brmoore rides his bike everyday, I suggested a way that WILL work & its simple, IF HE WAS STUCK.

"ghetto"? yes of course. retarded? no, I've seen it done countless times, maybe you haven't but that gives you no right to call me a retard, you don't know me

good day to you
had i not seen your write up once of a rear view video camera, i would have thought you were

(just kidding buddy )
AF600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #45
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

lol @ ahmedf you
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #46
ash2020
AMA Supersport Racer

looks like acumen have been taken over by acutrac and now sell trackers not relays from what i can see
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #47
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedf View Post
had i not seen your write up once of a rear view video camera, i would have thought you were

(just kidding buddy )
umm, thanks......I think
The Following User Says Thank You to swan-rr5 For This Useful Post:
AF600RR (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #48
brmoore
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan-rr5 View Post
can't help you with resistors cos those f**kers never worked for me, I just wired in two normal bulbs inline with either side to draw out the current. bulbs are taped & tucked away in the tail & indys flash at normal rate.

bit hillbilly but it works if you're stuck
I found a relay thing shaped exactly like oem(take out old one and use this one), just ordered it today so I've hooked up the indicators(they're soldered...but then 'hillbilly' taped LOL didnt have electrical tape but I'm sure brown box tape will work fine, i hope

anyway that'll mean it will flash fast for now till i replace that bit(was 16.20 on ebay including shipping) let's hope it works

what annoys me is doing all this and then later on when im not so poor i'll be taking everything all off again to do more like the tail tidy, spent ages attaching indicators to stock one knowing they're gonna go on an evotech in the future, but can't do much about that at the minute, don't have the cash to buy everything i want at the same time and i don't want the bike in the garage forever...just cleaned the whole chain again due to boredom and no money to go do anything, and the trains to work suck, some idiot crashed into a bridge or something and i couldnt get home friday, took me an extra hour to catch trains to other stations the wrong way and come all the back on a different line and its chock full since everyone else had the same problem

so far don't have any cash to buy the gf a christmas present either, life sucks atm! haha(that wasnt sarcasm, she got me the knox handroids, which were also only just broken in when the ice came and the bike was garaged!)

Last edited by brmoore; 12-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
brmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #49
ash2020
AMA Supersport Racer

dont forget im still up for your mids if you need a few quid
oh well done with the relay,good deal ,think i paid getting on for 30
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #50
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

-6 here tonight (21F), but I live in hope that it could hit 10 degrees (50F) on any given day here between cold snaps.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #51
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

What was up with the relay I linked for u that was about 11 shipped? Plug and play...its the one I used

You made the wise choice though me thinks :)
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #52
brmoore
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
What was up with the relay I linked for u that was about 11 shipped? Plug and play...its the one I used

You made the wise choice though me thinks :)
Yours wasn't the exact shape/color of the stock one, this one will blend right in there and attach to the same rubber bit the stock one does, but of course im yet to see it, uk legal is 70 flashes per minute i'll see if that's the case(or near enough) when it comes, if it works at all haha

the one i bought looks roughly like this:

PUIG make led indicators so also have a relay but i was thinking shipping from USA will be waiting longer than i want:

http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes/...f1-r239-m1677/

Last edited by brmoore; 12-10-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #53
ash2020
AMA Supersport Racer

my one has a short piece of cable fom relay and then plug but still just drops in that gap/hole where the oem one comes out from
Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #54
brmoore
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2020 View Post
my one has a short piece of cable fom relay and then plug but still just drops in that gap/hole where the oem one comes out from
yea i think your link was the one from M&P, ordered from them in the past they're not bad but in this case i wanted it to fit and attach to all the oem one does, just hope it performs think its coming tomorrow then when i eventually am able to afford proton flushmount fronts i won't need any relays or resisters

surely if a relay can accomodate led's and bulbs honda should just make 600rr's with them from stock, even better they should made LED indicators as stock, less power use and brighter, win win, then the battery is leftover to power gucci gear like gear indicators or heated grips without using all the current

that could also be a benefit maybe, i haven't been able to run high beam and heated grips on full it doesnt have the current, luckily the grips lose out(they go intermitant, in terms of heat i see no difference) and the high beam wins or else i'd have a flashing high beam ahha

Last edited by brmoore; 12-11-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #55
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

EU law / Construction and Use requires that the lighting indicators flash at a double rate when a bulb has blown to alert the driver to the problem (though most people don't even realise what it means) and drive around regardless.

This is achieved by the flasher IC contained inside the relay.

All the modified relay does is not link up that part of the circuit, so whatever the load on it, it will only flash at the regular rate. DO not worry about your relay flash speed, it will be fine.

The ability of the relay to flash at double rate will never be tested in an MOT however, will never be checked by police and I'm not 100% sure it's a requirement in the UK.

I could have told you how to modify your original relay to do exactly the same thing if you were willing to cut it open.

Of course we all check all of our lights at the start of each trip as required so we would notice anyway.

As too why they don't use LED's as standard: Cost, additional circuitry required to sense blown bulbs, type approval, not a standard so very few certified parts available, and most people simply don't care...I guess they are a few of the reasons, sure there are more.

Ref yours grips....HID conversion will use a lot less power once fired up, and be brighter as well, giving the grips a better chance
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #56
crash277
Moto GP Racer

mine have to go away. no choice. the aprilia got parked at the end of september cause it needs new tires and id rather just leave the crap ones on it over the winter. then the wifes ninja and the kids mini bikes got stored in october, then in november i parked the vulcan.

i have rode in -8 and got stuck in a snow storm on a 2001 CBR929 with Pirelli SC2 rear and SC1 front. wasnt a good time.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #57
Raj24v
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
I could have told you how to modify your original relay to do exactly the same thing if you were willing to cut it open.
Out of interest, how can you go about doing this?? As I'll be in need of a solution when I get some LEDs...

Thanks.
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #58
-Rizzo-
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forget It

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
mine is now on stands...looks pretty now...

2003 600RR, 14 Subaru WRX & 95 Civic CX Hatch
(
East Lansing, MI)

September 2012 BOTM

My Build
UPDATE: P. 42 (ALL MODS INSTALLED)
-Rizzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #59
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rizzo- View Post
mine is now on stands...looks pretty now...

i cant even see and of mine. they all sit on stands in a storage shed and they have covers.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #60
kritip
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj24v View Post
Out of interest, how can you go about doing this?? As I'll be in need of a solution when I get some LEDs...

Thanks.
If you have the 4 pin relay FR33-025.

Cut into the relay case, very carefully, and don't go deep. From about 1.5cm to 2.5cm from the top of the relay on the printed side, roughly where you should see >PBT+GF30<. Do not cut deep as the circuit board is only 3-4mm away from the plastic casing.

There you will see the flasher IC chip...its a freescale MC33193:

http://www.freescale.com/files/analo...et/MC33193.pdf

I haven't tested this, but simply, and carefully cut pin 7 or the copper track that links it so it's not linked up anymore....that should do the trick. Then test, and glue or fill the hole with silicone to seal it up.

Here is a photo of the relay I just ripped apart to figure it out for you :)

This should be just as easy to do or figure out on a 2 pin relay.

Alternatively the resistor value may be changed but this should work and is by far the easiest way to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement