1pc or 2pc suit? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > Helmets, Leathers, Boots & Gloves

Helmets, Leathers, Boots & Gloves Discuss and ask questions about your gear here

Sponsored by SportbikeTrackGear

Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Shadow6OORRider
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1pc or 2pc suit?

I am trying to buy a race suit but wanted to know what u guys would recommend. Is there a benefit on getting one over the other? If u get a 2pc suit, can u just wear the top separately like a jacket if u wanted to and the pants vise versa? And do you prefer to have the spoiler/hump on the back and does it make a big difference? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Shadow6OORRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
mountainRRing
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't like 2 piece suites because when you wear just the jacket it seems higher cut then a normal jacket. And together they don't fit quite the same as a 2 piece .. Just my opinion and I haven't tried on to many2 piece suits so there could be better ones

Sent from my iPhone
mountainRRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow6OORRider View Post
I am trying to buy a race suit but wanted to know what u guys would recommend. Is there a benefit on getting one over the other? If u get a 2pc suit, can u just wear the top separately like a jacket if u wanted to and the pants vise versa? And do you prefer to have the spoiler/hump on the back and does it make a big difference? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2-piece Dainese Trickster. Like Shadow says, the top tends to be shorter than a regular jacket. I really like it, but I also have a leather and a textile A*s. The real problem is that a back protector can stick out, which looks ridiculous.

The nice thing about it is you can take of the jacket and cool down - not that you can't unzip a 1-piece, but I imagine this is a little more comfortable - I don't have a 1-piece. I guess 1-piece will offer slightly better protection because there's one less zipper to break.

Another advantage would be that if you happen to be a TV news anchor, you could just take off your jacket and leave the pants on while you work, saving yourself some time.

You can see how short it is in this pic - the back protector sticks out, even if it looks contained in this shot. It actually goes down into the pants, which come up higher than a normal pair.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Decipi
Knee Dragger

I would say it depends on what kind of riding your looking to do. If most of your days are going to be spent on the track then I'd go with a one piece. If you're planning on using it primarily on the street then the 2 piece might be the way to go.

I've got a Dainese Draken 2-Piece, and like Maaku pointed out the jacket is definitely on the shorter side. I've never warn the jacket by itself and probably never will.

At the end of the day try on a few suits if you have the opportunity and see what feels more comfortable. The one thing I do really like about a 2 piece is if I'm doing a longer day ride and I want to stop for lunch I can take the top half of and sit down and relax a bit.
Decipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
xrated
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have a one piece perforated suit that I wore for general street riding as well as track days. In 2011 I became an Instructor for Sportbike Track Time and having the one piece suit was kind of a pain because as soon as you come off of the track, you head straight to the classroom. In late 2011, I bought a Pilot brand 2 piece suit that of course will allow you to take off the jacket and start getting cooled off while you are in the classroom. Before, I would just go to my paddock area and sit in front of the fan, but now, I don't have that option, so the two piece has worked out very well for me. Pilot is a very good quality suit and I have no fears of wearing a two piece while on the track and with it being somewhat custom fitted, it is the most comfortable suit that I have (I've got three suits counting the Pilot)

2007 CBR 600RR
2007 CBR 600RR..... Track Bike
2008 ST1300
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,315 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
For me, it's a 1 piece on the track and 2 piece on the street. I like being able to take the jacket off for lunch on long (which all of them are) rides.
TheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
SpdFrk
Lifetime Premium

I just inherited a 1 piece Helimot custom leather suit a couple of days ago from my cousin because he outgrew it. Fits me perfectly except the chest is just a bit tight. Feels fine when I'm tucked-in though. Maybe that's how it's suppose to be. Would really appreciate confirmation of this.

Anyways, with a one piece, be aware that getting it off can be a real choir. Took me several minutes to get it off the first time. Maybe it's because of the tight chest.

OEM: Solo Seat Cowl ; CBR1000RR Rear Turn Signal Lenses
Akrapovic: Slip-On
Bazzaz: Z-Bomb
Cox Racing Group:
Radiator Guard
DDM Tuning: HID
Lawst Caws: Frame Plugs
Stompgrip: Frame Traction Pads
StreetSkinns: Custom Seat
TechSpec: Snake Skin Tank Grips ; Tank Pro
Tripage: Smoked REG IT ; 40-LED Pegs ; Knight Rider Third Light ; Brake Flasher ; LED Flasher Relay
Watsen Design: Micro Alloy LED Signals

Future Mods: Tripage LED Mirrors & Ultimate KR
SpdFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Hrcfan1
Lifetime Premium

I have a two piece. Like most have pointed out, I like that you can take off the jacket to cool down at lunch etc. I dont have the hump on mine but I'd imagine its good to stop your head from whipping back. I'd say a two piece for the street & a one piece for track time.
Hrcfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
02gsxxr
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The hump has nothing to do with protecting your neck.... It's for aero and to throw air down ur back for cooling.... If ur head when leaned back was to touch the hump you have more problems on ur hand now... Like walkin

strength and honor

2002 GSXR - Sold

2001 F4i Stunt Bike - Sold *didnt have time to really get into the sport*

2007 600rr *White/Silver* - Totaled *Recent accident*

2007 600rr *White/Silver* - New Bike... had to have the same color
02gsxxr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 02gsxxr For This Useful Post:
AfroCBR (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
skoobie snacks
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
definately 1pc!!!!!!!
skoobie snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Shadow6OORRider
Knee Dragger

thanks for all the input guys. I think i'm gonna go with the 2 piece since i'm mostly street riding anyways. just the having the option of taking the top off seems like a smarter choice for my type of riding.
Shadow6OORRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Jason@STG
Official Platinum Sponsor

If that's the case you probably want a leather jacket and a pair of leather pants. The jacket will be cut more like a normal jacket that way.

You can see how short Maaku's jacket is, you won't want to wear that on its own. If you've got no interest in wearing the jacket by itself a 2pc or pants/jacket would work.

Sales @ Sportbike Track Gear
Email us: Orders@Sportbiketrackgear.com
Jason@STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Niner1000RR
Moto GP Racer

I've been using a 2-piece for the last couple years for trackdays and racing, my next suit will be a 1-piece.

I hate the back protector catching the seam and shoving it into my helmet. I used to like that I could take the upper off and it would hang. Whereas my 1-piece it would fall down. I would need a bungy to hold it up. But over the years, letting my 2-piece hang has caused it to really tear pretty badly at that seam.

Now if I just had the $$$ to buy a new suit... lol

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Niner1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
cbr6racr
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Sportbiketrackgear.com has a bunch of closeouts right now. You should check them out quick, because the last closeout suit sale they had, they went very quick! And as always, Ext. 210 when you call up there!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...ts%3ACloseouts
Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@STG View Post
You can see how short Maaku's jacket is, you won't want to wear that on its own.
I should also point out that I'm 5'3" and this is a size 50 jacket (40 US). Normally I'd be a 48 (38), or even a 46, but Dainese makes a very slim fit. You can see the pants are long on me, but the fit is very good aside from this -the jacket's perfect, the pants just a little long, but not loose. A jacket like this would likely fit even shorter on taller guys, especially if you work out.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Jason@STG
Official Platinum Sponsor

Holy crap, I can't believe that isn't a little looser on you. Yeah, imagine if you were any taller?

Sales @ Sportbike Track Gear
Email us: Orders@Sportbiketrackgear.com
Jason@STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@STG View Post
Yeah, imagine if you were any taller?
I stopped doing that a long time ago...

I couldn't believe I needed a 50 myself, but the 48 wouldn't zip up over the chest and I couldn't even button the pants - I'm not really overweight and don't work out so some of those suits are quite far off compared to regular clothes.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Tyleronanrr
AMA Supersport Racer

If you are going mostly for track riding, 1 piece all the way. I've seen 2 piece suits break the zipper in a crash and thats not something you want to worry about.

If you look at jacket and pants specs at sportbiketrackgear, a lot will come with connecting zippers so you can piece together pants and a jacket into a suit that will work for the occasional track day and still have a great jacket for street riding.

Still, 1 piece will always be safer and fit better than a 2 piece.
Tyleronanrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Tater S
World Superbike Racer

Track- I piece with vented hump for cooling
Street- 2 piece

Crash Stats: Length of ownership
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=313730
Tater S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
SJTrance
Knee Dragger

I have a one piece suit for the track and on certain street rides, but I have a mated jacket and pants for street riding otherwise. I can use that jacket with the leather or cold weather/waterproof textile pants that I have. I could also wear that jacket with jeans or kevlar jeans. I'd like to install a mated bottom zipper to my kevlar jeans and attach it to my jacket. I have to get some new jeans for that since the old one is too loose for me now.
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #21
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Sure, many times you will find that the 2 piece jacket is quite short but not every 2 piece suit out there is like that. Mine is an example; I wear it with jeans all the time, my back protector doesn't reach the last vertebrae, it's just a bit short so it doesn't stick out.

DSC_0114 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

2 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

Co-President of Team46

Married to Shin Soo-Ji (7/7/2013)

Amat Victoria Curam
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement