Official Tire Reading Thread (post your tire reading questions here) - Page 18 : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Tires, Suspension & Handling

Tires, Suspension & Handling Sticky to slippery tire talk

Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #511
music9704
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, I am going to change the front. I am going to take it to D&D cycles in norfolk. I think I will just have them drive it after the replacement to make sure that it's fixed. I have some other problems for them to look at as well. I also have a miss at low RMP's. I can take pics of the back but it in ok shape. I guess I just wanted some thoughts before I took it in. I have not been there (d&d cycles) but have read some good reviews about them.
music9704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #512
pommieb@stard
AMA Supersport Racer

The tire is most probably causing alot of the problems your feeling so I would replace that first and go from there.

What with it been illegal (unless your in some third world country), suffering from dry rot and also it is flat on one side which will make the bike feel like crap.

Bear in mind If the rear has a flat spot that also could make it feel a bit strange.

A bit of reading and you'll have a chance to filter the bullshit from the good oil
pommieb@stard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #513
pommieb@stard
AMA Supersport Racer

WTF another double post. Sorry

A bit of reading and you'll have a chance to filter the bullshit from the good oil

Last edited by pommieb@stard; 06-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.
pommieb@stard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #514
racerx55
Training Wheel Hero

well, i know this isnt a track beaten tire, this was one good hard street twisties run ( about 3 miles) on the new set of conti-motion on my 07 RR, at 30f/32r pressure. front came up to 32 warm, rear was up to 35. cant say they were hot by then. im a noob on tire reading, but i am a skilled mechanic and ride pretty hard when my half broken back allows me to.
not sure whats going on here, im 209 lbs with gear on, stock suspension settings, rear spring is down on the bottom, which i belive i need to turn back up ( but i opt for any softer ride with my bad back). whats your input on this street pig wear? front looks good so ill just post the rear. (clockwise rotation left to right, pic take on right side of the tire)
thanks for any input guys. also new on the forum as well.

Last edited by racerx55; 06-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.
racerx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #515
racerx55
Training Wheel Hero

nothing? well i guess ill go find a track and melt some tires. turned the rear spring up to the 5th position, the oddball wear seems to have stopped...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #516
ctekguy
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx55 View Post
nothing? well i guess ill go find a track and melt some tires. turned the rear spring up to the 5th position, the oddball wear seems to have stopped...
Turning the spring adjust ride height and nothing more. With one picture I am not understanding what your issue it or what you are complaining about.

Do you know what sag is and have you set sag? Once you've done that, you can pretty much figure out the rest with rebound and compression damping.

MSF Basic Rider Course Locations - http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?
Houston Press News - http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-10-...speed-racers/1
Wind Chill Calculator - http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml
A* Ridge Waterproof Riding Boots Review - http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=204100
ctekguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #517
racerx55
Training Wheel Hero

i'm questioning the edge wear on the tire that ive never seen happen on any of my bikes. everything suspension is 100% stock settings still. havent touched any of it. the BT-016 that used to be on it wore similar to that after a hard run on the road. I'm an engine, tuning, and transmission guy,I ride the hell out of anything,i'm OCD on maintenance but i dont get too technical, i'm still learning suspension. I understand how it all works and what does what. no idea what sag is or means, havent had the time to look it up. maybe its just my riding style or being a little rear brake happy entering corners, dont know, thats why i'm asking. the rear feels mushy to me.
thought the tire might say something to the guys who know.

Last edited by racerx55; 06-16-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #518
lawndart653
Knee Dragger

I'm looking to buy new tires, I have a 120/702r17 58w on front and a 180/55zr17 73w on back any feedback on good deals and good grippy ties with long tread life beans and such. I'm kind of an aggressive rider don't ride on the track though

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com App
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #519
racerx55
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart653 View Post
I'm looking to buy new tires, I have a 120/702r17 58w on front and a 180/55zr17 73w on back any feedback on good deals and good grippy ties with long tread life beans and such. I'm kind of an aggressive rider don't ride on the track though

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com App
Im liking my conti-motion for a street tire now that ive played with the suspension enough to get the rear to feel alot better. getting really good miles out of them for a daily rider. My personal choice for lower price, higher mileage tires that still grip pretty good. Took longer to get the greasy feeling out of the rear tire than i expected though. I live out in the country and pretty much beat the piss out of my bike constantly and have only had the rear slip twice on me, but that was my own fault.

Last edited by racerx55; 06-21-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #520
nograv1
Knee Dragger

Been a while since this thread was used.... Anyone still around to read a tire?

Michelin Power Pure Front
Track only bike
26psi Hot
Picture shows right edge of front tire (looking at it from the front of the bike)
Nearly lowsided on the last lap I did with this tire when the front came out from under me on a right hander (wasn't paying too close attention to the wear between sessions, otherwise I'd have not kept riding on it).
You can see the big ridge on the edge... The rear tire is worn all the way to the edges, no "chicken strip" at all. The front has developed this ridge however.
What's going on here?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #521
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograv1 View Post
Been a while since this thread was used.... Anyone still around to read a tire?

Michelin Power Pure Front
Track only bike
26psi Hot
Picture shows right edge of front tire (looking at it from the front of the bike)
Nearly lowsided on the last lap I did with this tire when the front came out from under me on a right hander (wasn't paying too close attention to the wear between sessions, otherwise I'd have not kept riding on it).
You can see the big ridge on the edge... The rear tire is worn all the way to the edges, no "chicken strip" at all. The front has developed this ridge however.
What's going on here?

tire pressure too low which causes the carcass to fold & develop that ridge, michelin power pure carcass is soft so it needs higher pressures to maintain its profile.

your forks could use more rebound damping too.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 0.90 N/mm fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM RL Annitori quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
OveRReV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #522
nograv1
Knee Dragger

Thanks for the input. Any idea what pressure one should run with the Pures? I read somewhere 25-26 hot and thats what I've been running (21-22 cold, 25-26 hot). Apparently this isn't quite right!

Video from the almost lowside resulting from the tire wearing like that, if anyone is interested: https://vimeo.com/47367091
Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #523
VT733
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
never had these tires but that's way too low...try somewhere around 32psi front, 31 rear for street. 30-31&29-30 for the track. these are measured cold
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #524
Jonnychmpo
Knee Dragger

I had the same problem with my pures and they only were at 28psi. Have run 30-32 with no problems in the front.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Jonnychmpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #525
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograv1 View Post
Thanks for the input. Any idea what pressure one should run with the Pures? I read somewhere 25-26 hot and thats what I've been running (21-22 cold, 25-26 hot). Apparently this isn't quite right!

Video from the almost lowside resulting from the tire wearing like that, if anyone is interested: https://vimeo.com/47367091
when i used to run Power Pures i use 31 to 30psi cold on the front & 30-28 psi cold on the rear, i never did check the hot pressures though as Michelin reps at facebook tell me just to set only at cold pressures. from there i can check how my tire wears & add or subtract pressure if need be. i never lost the front on 30psi cold & it didn't develop a ridge like that, on my sig pic i run Pures, insane lean angles.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #526
epkalbi
Training Wheel Hero

Question on Michelin Pilot Road 2 Tire

Hi

I want to replace my tires "Bridgestone Battlax BT016" with Michelin Pilot Road 2. I don't take the bike to the track and I do mostly street riding. I would like to know if any of you have used this tire and what is your experience with them. I have been using the Bridgestone tires but I cannot get more 3K miles out of them. I am looking to replace them with something that can last at least 5k. Please let me know if the Pilot Road 2 are a good choice.

Thank you
epkalbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #527
RedDragon
Knee Dragger

Hi all I am new to reading tires so can someone plz explain what scalloping, heat tears and fingernail marks are, and also when U say leading edge and trailing edge are U revering to the grooves in the tire, thanks
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #528
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
Hi all I am new to reading tires so can someone plz explain what scalloping, heat tears and fingernail marks are, and also when U say leading edge and trailing edge are U revering to the grooves in the tire, thanks

http://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/d...ung-tire-wear/

http://www.facebook.com/davemosstuning?ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/dave.moss.1466

have fun, i hope this isn't too much to digest.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch
The Following User Says Thank You to OveRReV For This Useful Post:
Toadfart (08-20-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #529
b.mac
Training Wheel Hero

great thread
b.mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #530
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

updating this thread, allow me to post a pic of an R10 front tire (medium compound).

IMO the compound is simply too soft for our track surface & temps, even the old BT003 medium front tires did this so i believe this to be a compound issue, guys that ran Supercorsa SC's & Power One fronts didn't have this tear.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch
Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #531
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

another pic of the R10 front, Ducati Panigale 1199 base model, same as the one above.

brand new tire, only after 1 session & it's starting to develop a tear, it got worse after the 2nd session & playing with tire pressures didn't help at all.

why the fck would Bridgestone release a softer Type4 front R10 i do not know but the hotter the temps get & the more abrasive the track the R10 fronts get worse, the rear tires are ok though.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #532
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmoore View Post
I'll say! just a bit! but have you tried the michelin man? not as a tyre, he's just a fat round bloke but the tyre brand Would 2CT's be too hard for you? they can do the odd track day

edit didnt see you've already seen michelins, time for change maybe, my 2CT's may only see street but it's everyday and they doing fine so far...nice smooth wear but yea the power one is more the track tyre
i've been using Michelin tires for the first few years when i did trackdays, started with the regular Pilot Powers which are great for beginners, tried the Power Race commercial version which was ok but the rear didn't feel good & just slid without warning, went to the Power Pures & they were better but it's still the same vague feel at the rear at the limit as the Power Race but it is really good on the wet.

afterwards i tried the Bridgestone BT003 race tires & i hated the front so went on to the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP which was nirvana, after i wore them down i switched back to Michelins to try the Power Ones race tires which are 3yrs old. my first day with them i took it really slow to get the feel from the new tires, exiting the last corner the bike was wobbling mad, it was horrible, i thought i made the wrong decision to run these tires but after 2 days of fiddling the suspension & geometry i managed to tone down the wobbling to acceptable levels where i can push it fast on the last turn, the other turns the tires really did very well, saved my a$$ on a couple of occasions when i entered the corner too hot trying out Troy Bayliss' lines.

to date the Power One race is the best tire i have used yet, once i'm done with this i'll be heading back to Diablo Supercorsa SP's for trackdays & buy a set of Michelin Power Cup race tires, Dunlop D211GPA's or Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC2's for race use. i'm afraid to try the R10's fearing that i would go through them real fast like i did with the BT003's.

before this year is over i would like to try & break my previous best times on the Power Ones & try to replicate them on the Pirelli, i log all my setup data on the tires i use so whenever which one i use it is as simple as turning a knob & screw adjuster to set it up. my purpose is to find which tire i like the most & right now the Power One & Supercorsa are on top of my list.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 AM
brmoore
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #533
Niner1000RR
Moto GP Racer

^^^Yes, everything that has to do with your tires will affect how your suspension handles. Everything from the carcass, compound, circumference, width, etc...

These ALL affect your suspension and how it performs.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Niner1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #534
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmoore View Post
Might be a silly question but if these tyres have differing weights or widths etc is your suspension setup for the changes? I don't dabble in suspension personally(im on the edge of doing it myself to have a go) but I know from many years it makes a difference i have a feeling mine is slightly too hard but im so near stock weight its small difference(as far as im aware anyway) but i ride street, michelins have been fine for me the 2ct's grip in the wet

looking at those pics i'm assuming it's either cold or hot tear(too little or too much air) or your suspension, potentially not the tyre, get more pics up of your own tyres, the pics you showed I'm guessing Shock Rebound Tear but yea im no expert, cheapest quickest is probably check the pressures first :)
i had to make changes to suspension when i switch to a different brand & type of tire, by not doing so you won't be able to maximize what the tires has to offer.

the pics of the 2 R10's above are hot tears, tears in general are the result of many factors (rubber compound, tire construction, track surface condition, track temperature, tire pressure, suspension setup, geometry), their initial sessions were run with pressures a bit lower than what is recommended, raising the pressure alleviated the problem but not by much, suspension was ok, the problem was the compound was too soft for our track surface & temps, we live at the equator so you can imagine how hot it gets here plus our tracks are abrasive they eat through tires quick.

on the ZX10R i'm tuning (i'm a suspension tuner for a superbike rider) i started with high pressures & the tear isn't as bad as the one above but still it did tear, they just lost grip sooner than we did that is why i'm witholding our tire pressure info from the other racers as we are going to race for another 2 seasons using the same gad damn tires.

if we were allowed to use another brand i would have no hesitation to run Power Cups or Supercorsa SC's, everybody on the northern hemisphere who is running R10's aren't having the problems we are experiencing.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #535
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

here's a couple of pics of my Michelin Power One race tires after 2 days at the same track, running V front & C rear compounds.

even though they are 3yrs old & were replaced by the power cups these tires offered high levels of grip & feedback but in order to unleash their potential some changes need to made to the suspension settings & geometry which took me all of the first day to sort. i was really running way below my usual pace with the Supercorsa SP as the bike would wobble a bit at the fastest corner at the track. i made some adjustments to the shock rebound & compression (hi/lo) because the rear felt really harsh over the bumps but the front not so much but still need some rebound & compression adjustments, lowered the front end by 2mm to compensate for the taller front tire which made steering & turn in a lot quicker.

i asked Dave Moss for pressure recommendations for the Spanish made Power Ones & he gave me 30/25 cold which were great starting pressures, later in the day i raised the front tire psi to 31 cold as the front tire felt mushy during braking & turn in, it also made steering more precise plus tire wear improved a bit. i only notice a bit of a rebound problem as the leading edge is raised indicating that rebound is too slow.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch

Last edited by OveRReV; 12-09-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #536
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
new

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuttynu For This Useful Post:
brmoore (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM
brmoore
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #537
OveRReV
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttynu View Post
new

i'm not going to be outdone, you're not the only one with new hoops waiting.

2004 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCIIIUSB
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
SBS HS pads
EVR CTS slipper clutch
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #538
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
this is them thru Dirt ,gravel, yucks

these were my first set that i rode with and track with, this was the last of them after that weekend. rough eh?

this was a buddy, his RSV4.with fairly new slicks

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #539
rongvang14
Training Wheel Hero

I just took my wheel off to change the tire and notice this from the front tire (The bike was ridden by my brother's friend for a while). I'm suspecting that the guy who did the lowering on the bike messed with the front suspension because I notice an abnormal characteristic in handling after lowering the bike.

rongvang14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #540
RedDragon
Knee Dragger

maybe to early to tell

just wondering what is starting here michelin pilot power 2ct rear right side Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000427.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	67050 rear left side Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000428.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	67058 only done 100 miles cold pressures 36 36
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement