"i want to race motorcycles for a living!" : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Rodimus
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"i want to race motorcycles for a living!"

Okay this question isn't really for me. **** I do want to race pro, but I already know what it takes to get there. This is just me going on a rant about a post i saw on the Triumph 675.net forum and the kids question really drew a lot of negative attention from squids and racers a like.

The kid was about 21 years old about to graduate from med school. Got a bike and was a street knee dragger. Similar to most who decide to race motorcycles at a later age. And what really frustrated me about it was all the negative feed back he got. His question was;

"I want to start racing how do I get started. I'm thinking about making a living out of it one day."

And of course the first answer he got was
"Ummm not gonna happen. You think Biggi, Rossi, Lorenzo started in their 20s?? Blah blah."

This is what drew my attention. To make it worse everyone made fun of the kid.

The reason why it frustrated me is because they do not know his skill set or his mentality. These guys were mostly novice racers or B group squids (No offense to humble people in B group btw). But I mean really? Not all AMA racers started at 4 fu**ing years old. I mean super bike level is extremely competitive, but it is certainly possible.

I know some of you guys out there race and think its really hard. Because it is, but not impossible. AFM racer Chris Siglin, first got on a bike at 21 and raced a full season of AMA by the time he was 28. Lloyd Bayley and John Mcgarity (friend of mine) have similar stories.

Yes racing motorcycles is certainly time consuming and ton of money spent. However it's definitely doable. I personally think it is definitely possible. I am not bragging by any means but after two years of ever touching a motorcycle I developed enough compete at the Novice level and do pretty well I might add.
Along with a few sponsors and a small AMA team to back me up.
What do you guys think? Is it possible? Or are you one of those who think no one else can do it because you can't? ;)
Rodimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
moe0001
Training Wheel Hero

I want to race cars or bikes but I know I can't at any professional level in either sport. First thing that came to mind was the age thing. Rossi was pushing pocket bikes at 10 than I can on a real bike at 23. Major disadvantage for me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
moe0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
polarity
Pocketbike Racer

I can't say much on superbike racing because that's a skill I don't have but I don't think it would be impossible. It's not for anything else. People think because it takes them forever to develope a skill that it takes everyone that long. Some people are talented. That kid might not be one and it may be out of his reach but how would they know. I would think you get him started on track days and see how he's doing. Who knows the guy could be pushing better times than anyone out here.
polarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Neptune
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's possible with the right mind set. What's it matter if you start racing at age 21? It doesn't. Never too late to start that course in life, or any really. I wanna race too. But right now I've got school to worry about no definitely wanna learn how to push me and my bike to the limit on the track though. Just gonna take a while for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
granted the odds are really not in his favor but if that's what he really wants to do, has some natural talent and throws him self into it 110% then I'm not going to say he cant or wont... Stranger things have happened....

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

c><----- Save the TA-TA's----------c><
sumone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Neptune
Moto GP Racer

If Jeff ^^^ is still living...this guy can race.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a good friend of mine who i went to race school together. Went from novice in 2010 to amateur his second race (raced AM in 2011) to pro after taking 1st in amateur 600 and and 2nd in amateur superbike series in 2012. he is in his late 30's.

if you have the money and time you can do anything.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
tim87tran
Knee Dragger

Send that kid to our forum! We would be more supportive =D

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Bizzle
Banned

I call BS on the kid's sincerity to be a racer. He's either trolling or lying out of his arse.

NO ONE graduates from med school at 21. NO ONE! Well, maybe one out of 1 billion people.
This kid would have to be a super genious nerd dedicated his life to the medical field. Some of the smartest people I know graduated med school no less than the age of 28. Anyone of this intelligent caliber are not even remotely interestest in motorcycles/girls/tools, let alone drop it all for racing a motorcycle.
Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
HighzerOfLife
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzle View Post
I call BS on the kid's sincerity to be a racer. He's either trolling or lying out of his arse.

NO ONE graduates from med school at 21. NO ONE! Well, maybe one out of 1 billion people.
This kid would have to be a super genious nerd dedicated his life to the medical field. Some of the smartest people I know graduated med school no less than the age of 28. Anyone of this intelligent caliber are not even remotely interestest in motorcycles/girls/tools, let alone drop it all for racing a motorcycle.
Have to agree with that part of his story. But as far as racing at 21, hell even if he doesnt make it pro who are they to talk **** on him making an attempt. If hes got the time/money why the hell not if its his dream. Least he wont look back and regret not giving it a go.
HighzerOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Rodimus
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

I agree with that to (the whole med school thing) but what really strikes me is more about what the rest of the people said.. They are freaking brutal over there.
The reason it really caught my eye was because when I had my zx6 I was a street rider. Wannabe canyon killer. Some guys out in the canyons heard I had been riding only 6 months at the time and said I should race. These guys were about 45 years old (one on an r1 and other cbr1k). I chased them through a canyon with long ass straights. And would real them back in in the corners. So I went to the zx forum and asked for advice. Basically I'm quick should I do it? "F**k no blah blah blah!! You have to start at 7 years old." Exactly one year I ran into one of the guys on that forum at buttonwillow raceway (he doesn't know this). It was my 3rd EVER track day and I damn near lapped him. I'm not saying I'm the sh*t or anything, but enough drive anybody can do whatever they want!
Not to mention this guy straight told me. I was a faggot, a bitch all kinds of ignorant mess. This guy is 12 years older then me. I just turned 26.. I was like umm wow... Damn near 40 and you act like a child..
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Rodimus
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim87tran View Post
Send that kid to our forum! We would be more supportive =D

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I know right! It was actually posted in 2008 and I found it on google looking for sponsorship applications.. I even went to his profile. He gave up on it.. Just rides for fun now. No racing though. Actually kind of tragic when you think about it...
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

i think we all do,, but i would like to have over million buck, and ride the world

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

It's not someone can't have the skill fresh into the game after a year or 2..

The issue is making a name for your self and networking to the right people and places to get noticed and even looked at by race teams..

The people who come in from childhood have their name in the community already and are known and the race community knows their skill and name... When you blindly show up the issue is to get your name out to the right people..

Like any pro sport baseball/football/basketball anyone can have the skill and make it in a few year the issue is most teams won't waste time on someone fresh to the game with no creds over the his who has 230 rushing yards every game in high shool and is #1 draft pick out of college..

But there are open try outs but the scouts either need to see a mike Vick first play or you get over looked the whole time. Ive been to them my self if your not a complete all star stud out of the gate you won't go far unless you just happen to get something they like which is rare unless your hitting 450 yard bombs and play like a all star to boot even then 90% of the time the scouts have your high school records and whole sport background and know your ins and out especially on anyone they give 2 sh**s about. And 90% of the time the stud that does show they are only watching him anyways and already have his info and just make him show to watch him impress then sign him up.

And this is coming from a kid who had scouts at my pony league/high school games and pissed it all away because in high school I thought girls and good time with the buddy's were more important that grades and practice..

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.

Last edited by CK_32; 12-10-2012 at 07:52 PM.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
fallingbomb
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Who's to say he can't. If he has the money to toss into club racing and the skill he would do well. I'd think if you had the results, you could progress pretty quickly. His progress will obviously depend on his skill and likely he wouldn't go pro but if he has the skill.
2007 CBR600RR -- CVMA #270 -- Pictures -- Build Thread
fallingbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
tary preisser
Moto GP Racer

I encourage him to try.

However, you REALLY gotta love it if you want to race.

it is an enormous expenditure of time, money, and effort.....

(and a lot of fun!)
tary preisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
trackfreak
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't know about doing it for a living but definitely doable to get into the pro ranks. Perfect example was Chris"siggy"Siglin I enjoy reading about articles from club racers that make themselves successful racers with normal jobs. They are my inspiration. I was cut short and had to step back into reality I don't have parents that know this sport and would never spend a dime on my bikes. Don't let anyone bring you down. I still believe when I get done with school and can advance my income I can get into some AMA west coast rounds. In fact that's what drives me to get a education and career is so I can have my dream become a reality!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
trackfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Too lazy to edit but as one of my buddy's has always told me its not about what you know its about WHO you know..

So again goin through those proper channels help you meet the who.. But still not impossible to meet the who in other ways.

My YouTube channel.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
AbnInf
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus View Post
The kid was about 21 years old about to graduate from med school.
About to graduate med school at 21? Is he Doogie Howser?

AbnInf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnInf View Post
About to graduate med school at 21? Is he Doogie Howser?
I didn't even realize that...

Does med school count as basic responder/nursing trade schools... Last I checked med school took about 7 to 12 years on average

My YouTube channel.

Last edited by CK_32; 12-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
FlipDiver79
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Max Biaggi started racing 125cc's at 18. Really late by European standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Flip Diver's gotta be a bot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatstud View Post
flip posts bewbies everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
No flipdiver posts newbies everywhere.
FlipDiver79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #22
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

If you can get the skills, balls, and money for parts/bikes ... heck, sky's the limit dude!

highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
infinate719

Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttynu View Post
i think we all do,, but i would like to have over million buck, and ride the world

wanna make a million dollars racing??

start with a Billion!!

crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
ZX6RRection
Training Wheel Hero

I think many of us aspire to take our skills to the next level...it just sucks when ur already old...

....there was a guy who did his first year of motogp at 41 last season...ridin his ass off ...I think he pissed of Lorenzo when he wouldn't "just let him pass" while being lapped...anyway I suppose anythings possible
ZX6RRection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
trackfreak
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RRection View Post
I think many of us aspire to take our skills to the next level...it just sucks when ur already old...

....there was a guy who did his first year of motogp at 41 last season...ridin his ass off ...I think he pissed of Lorenzo when he wouldn't "just let him pass" while being lapped...anyway I suppose anythings possible
Steve Rapp.

I just want to ride at a national level in the United States I know I will never get a paying job do ride I just want to be able to ride at an ama level even if it is at my expense.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #27
trackfreak
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
wanna make a million dollars racing??

start with a Billion!!

I could not make this statement any more clearer if my life depended on it. Lol

Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #28
Rodimus
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipDiver79 View Post
Max Biaggi started racing 125cc's at 18. Really late by European standards.
If I could like a comment. I would like this one.. :D
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
03cbr-rider
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you have the money and can qualify, you can race.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
Tommy C
Knee Dragger

Quote:

1. BS on his sincerity to be a racer? Anyone can have hopes/dreams.

2. No one? Education outside the USA is metered out on different schedules - probably not as much electives/gym time, what ever, but foreign students can graduate HS a hell of a lot earlier than 17, and some foreign med school programs do not require a bachelors for entrance - just a certain number of credits in a premed program at the school. I knew a lady who graduated 4 years of med school at 21.

3. The 28 year-olds you know are probably US students completing 3 yr residencies. After med school is residency, this is where this guy would have a tough time finding the time for track days/practice/race days (of course later in this thread we see he didn't pull it off, but might have been a natural).

4. Intelligent caliber interests? Dude - you really have no clue. Work hard - party harder - motorcycles/girls/tools, all of the above and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RRection View Post

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfreak View Post
Steve Rapp.

I just want to ride at a national level in the United States I know I will never get a paying job do ride I just want to be able to ride at an ama level even if it is at my expense.

I'm glad you guys have dispelled the myth of age limitations. Don't anybody let age get in the way of your dreams!!!
Tommy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement