Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

video mirrors? backup/rear video? does it really exist?

4K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  mbv 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I spent a lot of time trying to find a way to look behind me. With my current mirrors I just see my arms, shoulders and a little on the sides. But, I just can not see anything behind me. I am sure a lot of you guys have the same problem, and most of you will suggest just to turn my head, but that is not the point of this thread.

I tried to look into some camera solutions. I saw this person with monitors in the actual mirrors, I think that is a good solution IMHO, but are they for sale anywhere? Here is the link:

I also thought I could place a wide angle camera + a car mirror, but I think that will just look very ugly. Also, most screens are kind of square shaped and will probably end up with a very small image.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your comments!

mbv

See less See more
#36 ·
yes 4.3, I had originally ordered a 3.5 because I was concerned about placement but they sent me a 4.3 for some reason. but since it fit under my double bubble screen without obstructing the gauges too much, I wasn't going to complain. bigger is better (according to my gf anyway :lol:)

#41 · (Edited)
Ineresting topic. I made a rearview camera setup for a custom streetfighter I had before my new 600rr. It didn't have fairing & all the bar end mirrors I've encountered were more useless than the worst sportbike mirrors. Because of that I never trusted them and relied on peripheral vision & head checking behind me. The mirrors on the 600rr are actually pretty good and useful if not attractive. They still don't help in the same scenario as the streetfigter. You can't see what's coming straight up your ass! I don't agree that it's not a practical use to see behind you. There's almost no more vulnerable feeling than being stopped at a light with no one behind you. I've known of toooo many incidents where riders were run down because someone didn't see them as they were coming to the light or couldn't stop. If cars get rear ended regularly at stop lights then even more so for us. I'll dig up some pics & what my cam/lcd setup was when I get home & post up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#42 ·
Please explain to me what your goin to do when you see a car coming too hot up your a**.... 1 unless you turn around you will not be able to judge if he will actually be able to stop in time and if you do see it even if you decided to stupidly ride in the middle of a busy intersection to avoid maybe getting hit to for sure get side swiped I highly highly doubt you will get off enough speed by the time you realize wtf is going on to move out of the way..

And if you disagree your highly fantasizing sorry.. And again your responsibility isn't what's behind you it's what's in front and in your path of travels so that point is invalid.. Mirrors were invented to see what's on the side and behind you for specifically looking in the blind spot and places you can not see when changing lanes and reverse..

And if you decided to avoid a from behind crash and cause or get into an accident your self because of that guess what you are now at fault for everything cause in any collision if they don't plow into you... So you just made his mistake yours.

#43 ·
Umm, you could flash your brake lights, or move to a turning lane, or between cars if there are some in front of you. CK, do you ride in a large city? Because I do, and I always watch for cars behind me every time I have to come to a stop, and I always stop with an exit planned. Ive avoided being rear ended twice, and yes, both times I saw the cars coming in way too fast through my mirrors. The camera simply takes the place of the mirrors.

#45 ·
Well, when you get a lot of cars bunched together in multiple lanes and people start switching lanes without any regard for anyone else, you need eyes in the back of your head!

#46 ·
#47 ·
And I flash my brakes every stop and while at lights periodically. When I had mirrors I was too paranoid.

If you watch this video you can see I look every 2 seconds

So often I have missed a ton of things in front of me being so worried about whats behind.. Reason I got rid of my mirrors.

#49 ·
ViciousCycle, I do not think the extenders will do the job, it is just 1 or 2 inches and I think I need a lot more. I also do not like the idea of making the bike that much wider with the mirrors.
About the other set of mirrors, they look nice, but do you think they will do the job? I think they will be only as good as OEM mirros + extenders.

CK_32, I am not sure how the lanes work over there, but I will explain how it works here:
The right lane, is for people driving slower, the left lane is for people driving faster. Most of the streets here have only 2 lanes. When there are more lanes (rarely), the same rules goes. The slow cars go on the right. Now, as there are only 2 lanes, what happens when you are on the left lane and there is someone who wants to go faster, they want to pass, so they will turn the lights on you, but as you can not see behind (they do not know that), they will horn on you, if you take too long to move, they will go to the right lane and pass you at 100000 miles per hour and go back to the left lane in front of you. So, shaking your head every 2 seconds will not work here as the speed difference from a slow vehicle to a fast vehicle could be 30~40~50~60 miles.
While some stuff works on some situations, just does not in some others.
Also, there are people who just can not turn their heads like that famous movie (the exorcist) in 2 seconds... lol
Probably we will not be able (in most situations) to avoid something coming from behind, but there are other situations that we could anticipate.

swan-rr5, I think you are right, it may not be in the right place, placing in the tank will kill the entire purpose of having it.

Thanks everyone for your comments!!

#50 · (Edited)
ViciousCycle, I live in La Paz, Bolivia.
Here you can see some of our nice roads here:

I know sport bikes will to drive there... but I thought it will be nice to share, look at minute 6:30 until the end, I actually had the chance to drive on that road.

Regular city roads are like this one (in spanish):

The "zebras" is a local project to try to teach all the people what those funny lines in the street are for.
There are a lot of people dress like that in the city to educate us (the locals and visitors) every day. That is a very difficult job and they gained my respect and slowly the respect of everyone here.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.