would any of you consider buying a recovered bike? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
would any of you consider buying a recovered bike?

The bike is a S1000RR but its pretty banged up and I don't know if any gears were "f**ked" in the theft.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ437415542

Just wonder what you guys think... I'm planning on getting a 1K in the nearer future.

highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

10 grand is 10 grand.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

I would for a track bike.. Still waiting to find a salvaged title bike that's not the same as clean bikes... Cheap a**es...

Don't s1ks goes for like $15k new/clean title...? Correct me if I'm wrong

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
trackfreak
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That's quite a bit of money for that bike. But those bikes sure are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
trackfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would buy a recovered bike.. Just gotta do a thorough inspection

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
qteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Decipi
Knee Dragger

I would be willing to consider any bike as long as it passed a decent inspection; so maybe take it to a shop and have it looked over if you can? S1000's are amazing bikes. My big concern would be resale value. That kind of thing tends to scare people away (hence the reason for this post in the first place!).

EDIT: Actually from that listing it looks like its for sale by a dealer? If they are an actual dealer they must have gone over it already in order to figure out a fair asking price. Ask them to give you a detailed account of what they found.

Last edited by Decipi; 12-10-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Decipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
I would for a track bike.. Still waiting to find a salvaged title bike that's not the same as clean bikes... Cheap a**es...

Don't s1ks goes for like $15k new/clean title...? Correct me if I'm wrong
The thing is there are no track around my area, but got some twisties a few kms away

The s1k do go around $15k. And I was in the super market thinking about the bike, and came to the conclusion that I'd end up spend a few more grand just to get her back to clean and lean I wouldn't pay $10k, maybe 8 or 9 but 10 is kinda too deep.

But hope ya get a track bike soon

Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipi View Post

EDIT: Actually from that listing it looks like its for sale by a dealer? If they are an actual dealer they must have gone over it already in order to figure out a fair asking price. Ask them to give you a detailed account of what they found.

I'm going to email the dealer and see what happens, but I don't know about 10k. If they won;t budge on the price, I'll buy a fireblade for cheaper and still have enough cash for some goodies.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonlakai View Post
The thing is there are no track around my area, but got some twisties a few kms away

The s1k do go around $15k. And I was in the super market thinking about the bike, and came to the conclusion that I'd end up spend a few more grand just to get her back to clean and lean I wouldn't pay $10k, maybe 8 or 9 but 10 is kinda too deep.

But hope ya get a track bike soon
Yea so possibly you may spend more than buying a brand new time with the risk of having a POS or possibly junk bike.. Just because its a dealer doesn't mean its always on the up and up... Then it comes to their cheap deals 90% of the time those are pre inspection for the exact reason of if it f**ks up that's too bad. (I know this from trying to buy my first car from a major dealership Inge $3k lot)

And salvaged could mean anything they don't have to tell you if its crashed or not salvaged could mean a lot of things and for the fail I'm doubting this was just a thrift recovery possibly both.. So it might look ok... But you could be looking at a ton more work than you expect.. Especially if its a quick flip corner dealer..

So again is it really worth the risk than just buying new for a few grand more and possibly less in the long run?

Also if you don't plan on tracking or serious canyon carving the s1k is a little over kill.. Reason I laugh at the guys sporting one and act all high and mighty and can't even fully run the dam thing to need the features it offers.. I can't even fully out preform my RR let alone a s1k.

And every guy I know that has one for pure track or street has their head so far up their a** and are so smug it's ridiculous.. They feel like the bike makes them better riders when it just crutches their weak points..

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
toronto.cbr
Knee Dragger

I was actually thinking of buying it.

I bought my cbr damaged. It's no big deal, only cosmetic.

Hell it's the only way I could justify buying one on my tight budget. There are things you have to look for but that only comes with experience, it's how I thought myself.

Id only buy that s1000rr for $7000-8000 to make it worth it. I know that dealer, they buy these from auctions (Canada or states) clean titles, and just resale here for profit. Their damaged bikes are typically overpriced and come close to the cost or just buying a mint one.

Last edited by toronto.cbr; 12-11-2012 at 08:54 AM.
toronto.cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
daisoman
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto.cbr View Post

Hell it's the only way I could justify buying one on my tight budget. There are things you have to look for but that only comes with experience, it's how I thought myself.

Id only buy that s1000rr for $7000-8000 to make it worth it. I know that dealer, they buy these from auctions (Canada or states) clean titles, and just resale here for profit. Their damaged bikes are typically overpriced and come close to the cost or just buying a mint one.
You sound like a cheap bastard. I like that

Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
schissler
Pocketbike Racer

mine was recovered.. only cosmetic damage from being dropped on the left side.
had under 1000miles on it and was over 3k cheaper than the same year bikes with way more miles on them..
schissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
crash277
Moto GP Racer

you wont be allowed to plate it here in NoFunTario. the MTO has banned the plating of any and all salvaged bikes. if it comes with a clean title then your golden.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
crash277
Moto GP Racer

side note, i bet you could pick up a brand new 2012 1krr in january on the cheap. they were going for 14,777 here in ottawa during the summer. when the new stock starts to arrive the dealers want to unload last years model.

also you could try to find a demo bike.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
You sound like a cheap bastard. I like that

LOL, you guys are too funny

Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto.cbr View Post

The CBR I got was dropped on the street at low speeds and can tell by the scratches that he wasn't going too fast. And got it for super cheap just cause I called out all the things im going to have to change, lol! I also kinda figured it was some dealer trying to make quick coin on a bike that isn't worth that much ... like does anyone know how much OEM fairings cost for a s1000rr? I could only guess, a lot!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Yea so possibly you may spend more than buying a brand new time with the risk of having a POS or possibly junk bike.. Just because its a dealer doesn't mean its always on the up and up... Then it comes to their cheap deals 90% of the time those are pre inspection for the exact reason of if it f**ks up that's too bad. (I know this from trying to buy my first car from a major dealership Inge $3k lot)

And salvaged could mean anything they don't have to tell you if its crashed or not salvaged could mean a lot of things and for the fail I'm doubting this was just a thrift recovery possibly both.. So it might look ok... But you could be looking at a ton more work than you expect.. Especially if its a quick flip corner dealer..

So again is it really worth the risk than just buying new for a few grand more and possibly less in the long run?

Also if you don't plan on tracking or serious canyon carving the s1k is a little over kill.. Reason I laugh at the guys sporting one and act all high and mighty and can't even fully run the dam thing to need the features it offers.. I can't even fully out preform my RR let alone a s1k.

And every guy I know that has one for pure track or street has their head so far up their a** and are so smug it's ridiculous.. They feel like the bike makes them better riders when it just crutches their weak points..
I hear yah on the ol' high and mighty ones, lol! I'm complete opposite, I'm a human being and know that I'm just like everybody else on this rock we orbit around on, lol!!!!
I simply just want it for trips and highway use/ and plan on moving to a city with a track in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
you wont be allowed to plate it here in NoFunTario. the MTO has banned the plating of any and all salvaged bikes. if it comes with a clean title then your golden.
Damnn, that sucks but I'm from the land of wheat, lol! Saskatchewan but this country is beautiful. People say its flat because they only see it from highway #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
side note, i bet you could pick up a brand new 2012 1krr in january on the cheap. they were going for 14,777 here in ottawa during the summer. when the new stock starts to arrive the dealers want to unload last years model.

also you could try to find a demo bike.
Was looking at a few and have been doing some research, hopefully by the end of summer of middle, I'll be on one or if this doesnt work out (Fireblade here I come!!!!).

Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Hrcfan1
Lifetime Premium

Thats a tough one. I personally wouldn't risk it. Sounds like a lot of money for a damaged bike. Could end up costing just as much as a brand new leftover by the time you go through it. I can only imagine how much bmw parts are.

Current Rides:
2013 CBR 600RR Repsol
2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC
1998 CBR 600 F3 Smokin Joe's

Past Rides:
2008 CBR 1000RR
2007 CBR 600RR
2006 CBR 600RR
1996 CBR 600 F3 Smokin Joe's
Hrcfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
fallingbomb
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like a lot if it will have a salvage title.
2007 CBR600RR -- CVMA #270 -- Pictures -- Build Thread
fallingbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
toronto.cbr
Knee Dragger

For that price, that bike would NOT have a salvaged title. I don't know for a fact - but I've known ppl who have dealt with this dealer and rarely do they deal with salvage bikes since their only good for parts and you have to sit on them to make money.
toronto.cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrcfan1 View Post
Thats a tough one. I personally wouldn't risk it. Sounds like a lot of money for a damaged bike. Could end up costing just as much as a brand new leftover by the time you go through it. I can only imagine how much bmw parts are.
I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Like someone already said, "ten grand is ten grand" and I'd have to put a lot of work into the bike before it would even be able to ride the streets :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingbomb View Post
Sounds like a lot if it will have a salvage title.
Personally, I think the bike will probably sit there for awhile, unless someone with lots of cash rolls up and I don't have money like that, lol! got dough but not rich at all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement