would any of you consider buying a recovered bike? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.


Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer
 
highonlakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada (its f**kin cold!)
Posts: 500
Thanks: 49
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
would any of you consider buying a recovered bike?

The bike is a S1000RR but its pretty banged up and I don't know if any gears were "f**ked" in the theft.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ437415542

Just wonder what you guys think... I'm planning on getting a 1K in the nearer future.
__________________
2007 600RR - Konica Minolta rep (SOLD).....
Fireblade - Soon
Build thread; http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=350770 ....



highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 621
Thanks: 38
Thanked 66 Times in 53 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
10 grand is 10 grand.
__________________
ToroPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
CK_32
Moto GP Racer
 
CK_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,913
Thanks: 100
Thanked 306 Times in 249 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would for a track bike.. Still waiting to find a salvaged title bike that's not the same as clean bikes... Cheap a**es...

Don't s1ks goes for like $15k new/clean title...? Correct me if I'm wrong
__________________

My YouTube channel.


Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
trackfreak
World Superbike Racer
 
trackfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,231
Thanks: 16
Thanked 105 Times in 100 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That's quite a bit of money for that bike. But those bikes sure are awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
__________________


you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
trackfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
qteter
World Superbike Racer
 
qteter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,725
Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 69 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would buy a recovered bike.. Just gotta do a thorough inspection


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
qteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Decipi
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 109
Thanks: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would be willing to consider any bike as long as it passed a decent inspection; so maybe take it to a shop and have it looked over if you can? S1000's are amazing bikes. My big concern would be resale value. That kind of thing tends to scare people away (hence the reason for this post in the first place!).

EDIT: Actually from that listing it looks like its for sale by a dealer? If they are an actual dealer they must have gone over it already in order to figure out a fair asking price. Ask them to give you a detailed account of what they found.

Last edited by Decipi; 12-10-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Decipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer
 
highonlakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada (its f**kin cold!)
Posts: 500
Thanks: 49
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
I would for a track bike.. Still waiting to find a salvaged title bike that's not the same as clean bikes... Cheap a**es...

Don't s1ks goes for like $15k new/clean title...? Correct me if I'm wrong
The thing is there are no track around my area, but got some twisties a few kms away

The s1k do go around $15k. And I was in the super market thinking about the bike, and came to the conclusion that I'd end up spend a few more grand just to get her back to clean and lean I wouldn't pay $10k, maybe 8 or 9 but 10 is kinda too deep.

But hope ya get a track bike soon
__________________
2007 600RR - Konica Minolta rep (SOLD).....
Fireblade - Soon
Build thread; http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=350770 ....



highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer
 
highonlakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada (its f**kin cold!)
Posts: 500
Thanks: 49
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipi View Post

EDIT: Actually from that listing it looks like its for sale by a dealer? If they are an actual dealer they must have gone over it already in order to figure out a fair asking price. Ask them to give you a detailed account of what they found.

I'm going to email the dealer and see what happens, but I don't know about 10k. If they won;t budge on the price, I'll buy a fireblade for cheaper and still have enough cash for some goodies.
__________________
2007 600RR - Konica Minolta rep (SOLD).....
Fireblade - Soon
Build thread; http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=350770 ....



highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
CK_32
Moto GP Racer
 
CK_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,913
Thanks: 100
Thanked 306 Times in 249 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by highonlakai View Post
The thing is there are no track around my area, but got some twisties a few kms away

The s1k do go around $15k. And I was in the super market thinking about the bike, and came to the conclusion that I'd end up spend a few more grand just to get her back to clean and lean I wouldn't pay $10k, maybe 8 or 9 but 10 is kinda too deep.

But hope ya get a track bike soon
Yea so possibly you may spend more than buying a brand new time with the risk of having a POS or possibly junk bike.. Just because its a dealer doesn't mean its always on the up and up... Then it comes to their cheap deals 90% of the time those are pre inspection for the exact reason of if it f**ks up that's too bad. (I know this from trying to buy my first car from a major dealership Inge $3k lot)

And salvaged could mean anything they don't have to tell you if its crashed or not salvaged could mean a lot of things and for the fail I'm doubting this was just a thrift recovery possibly both.. So it might look ok... But you could be looking at a ton more work than you expect.. Especially if its a quick flip corner dealer..

So again is it really worth the risk than just buying new for a few grand more and possibly less in the long run?

Also if you don't plan on tracking or serious canyon carving the s1k is a little over kill.. Reason I laugh at the guys sporting one and act all high and mighty and can't even fully run the dam thing to need the features it offers.. I can't even fully out preform my RR let alone a s1k.

And every guy I know that has one for pure track or street has their head so far up their a** and are so smug it's ridiculous.. They feel like the bike makes them better riders when it just crutches their weak points..
__________________

My YouTube channel.


Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
toronto.cbr
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was actually thinking of buying it.

I bought my cbr damaged. It's no big deal, only cosmetic.


Hell it's the only way I could justify buying one on my tight budget. There are things you have to look for but that only comes with experience, it's how I thought myself.

Id only buy that s1000rr for $7000-8000 to make it worth it. I know that dealer, they buy these from auctions (Canada or states) clean titles, and just resale here for profit. Their damaged bikes are typically overpriced and come close to the cost or just buying a mint one.

Last edited by toronto.cbr; 12-11-2012 at 08:54 AM.
toronto.cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
daisoman
AMA Supersport Racer
 
daisoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TO
Posts: 581
Thanks: 33
Thanked 55 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto.cbr View Post
I was actually thinking of buying it.

I bought my cbr damaged. It's no big deal, only cosmetic.


Hell it's the only way I could justify buying one on my tight budget. There are things you have to look for but that only comes with experience, it's how I thought myself.

Id only buy that s1000rr for $7000-8000 to make it worth it. I know that dealer, they buy these from auctions (Canada or states) clean titles, and just resale here for profit. Their damaged bikes are typically overpriced and come close to the cost or just buying a mint one.
You sound like a cheap bastard. I like that


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
daisoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
schissler
Pocketbike Racer
 
schissler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
mine was recovered.. only cosmetic damage from being dropped on the left side.
had under 1000miles on it and was over 3k cheaper than the same year bikes with way more miles on them..
schissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
crash277
Moto GP Racer
 
crash277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Thanks: 4
Thanked 196 Times in 183 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you wont be allowed to plate it here in NoFunTario. the MTO has banned the plating of any and all salvaged bikes. if it comes with a clean title then your golden.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
crash277
Moto GP Racer
 
crash277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Thanks: 4
Thanked 196 Times in 183 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
side note, i bet you could pick up a brand new 2012 1krr in january on the cheap. they were going for 14,777 here in ottawa during the summer. when the new stock starts to arrive the dealers want to unload last years model.

also you could try to find a demo bike.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer
 
highonlakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada (its f**kin cold!)
Posts: 500
Thanks: 49
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
You sound like a cheap bastard. I like that


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
LOL, you guys are too funny
__________________
2007 600RR - Konica Minolta rep (SOLD).....
Fireblade - Soon
Build thread; http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=350770 ....



highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer
 
highonlakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada (its f**kin cold!)
Posts: 500
Thanks: 49
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto.cbr View Post
I was actually thinking of buying it.

I bought my cbr damaged. It's no big deal, only cosmetic.


Hell it's the only way I could justify buying one on my tight budget. There are things you have to look for but that only comes with experience, it's how I thought myself.

Id only buy that s1000rr for $7000-8000 to make it worth it. I know that dealer, they buy these from auctions (Canada or states) clean titles, and just resale here for profit. Their damaged bikes are typically overpriced and come close to the cost or just buying a mint one.
The CBR I got was dropped on the street at low speeds and can tell by the scratches that he wasn't going too fast. And got it for super cheap just cause I called out all the things im going to have to change, lol! I also kinda figured it was some dealer trying to make quick coin on a bike that isn't worth that much ... like does anyone know how much OEM fairings cost for a s1000rr? I could only guess, a lot!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Yea so possibly you may spend more than buying a brand new time with the risk of having a POS or possibly junk bike.. Just because its a dealer doesn't mean its always on the up and up... Then it comes to their cheap deals 90% of the time those are pre inspection for the exact reason of if it f**ks up that's too bad. (I know this from trying to buy my first car from a major dealership Inge $3k lot)

And salvaged could mean anything they don't have to tell you if its crashed or not salvaged could mean a lot of things and for the fail I'm doubting this was just a thrift recovery possibly both.. So it might look ok... But you could be looking at a ton more work than you expect.. Especially if its a quick flip corner dealer..

So again is it really worth the risk than just buying new for a few grand more and possibly less in the long run?

Also if you don't plan on tracking or serious canyon carving the s1k is a little over kill.. Reason I laugh at the guys sporting one and act all high and mighty and can't even fully run the dam thing to need the features it offers.. I can't even fully out preform my RR let alone a s1k.

And every guy I know that has one for pure track or street has their head so far up their a** and are so smug it's ridiculous.. They feel like the bike makes them better riders when it just crutches their weak points..
I hear yah on the ol' high and mighty ones, lol! I'm complete opposite, I'm a human being and know that I'm just like everybody else on this rock we orbit around on, lol!!!!
I simply just want it for trips and highway use/ and plan on moving to a city with a track in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
you wont be allowed to plate it here in NoFunTario. the MTO has banned the plating of any and all salvaged bikes. if it comes with a clean title then your golden.
Damnn, that sucks but I'm from the land of wheat, lol! Saskatchewan but this country is beautiful. People say its flat because they only see it from highway #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
side note, i bet you could pick up a brand new 2012 1krr in january on the cheap. they were going for 14,777 here in ottawa during the summer. when the new stock starts to arrive the dealers want to unload last years model.

also you could try to find a demo bike.
Was looking at a few and have been doing some research, hopefully by the end of summer of middle, I'll be on one or if this doesnt work out (Fireblade here I come!!!!).
__________________
2007 600RR - Konica Minolta rep (SOLD).....
Fireblade - Soon
Build thread; http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=350770 ....



highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Hrcfan1
Lifetime Premium
 
Hrcfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 661
Thanks: 100
Thanked 75 Times in 67 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats a tough one. I personally wouldn't risk it. Sounds like a lot of money for a damaged bike. Could end up costing just as much as a brand new leftover by the time you go through it. I can only imagine how much bmw parts are.
__________________
Is it friday yet?!

Current Rides:
2013 CBR 600RR Repsol
2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC
1998 CBR 600 F3 Smokin Joe's

Past Rides:
2008 CBR 1000RR
2007 CBR 600RR
2006 CBR 600RR
1996 CBR 600 F3 Smokin Joe's
Hrcfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
fallingbomb
Moto GP Racer
 
fallingbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,178
Thanks: 108
Thanked 161 Times in 137 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like a lot if it will have a salvage title.
__________________
2007 CBR600RR -- CVMA #270 -- Pictures -- Build Thread
fallingbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
toronto.cbr
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For that price, that bike would NOT have a salvaged title. I don't know for a fact - but I've known ppl who have dealt with this dealer and rarely do they deal with salvage bikes since their only good for parts and you have to sit on them to make money.
toronto.cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
highonlakai
AMA Supersport Racer
 
highonlakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada (its f**kin cold!)
Posts: 500
Thanks: 49
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrcfan1 View Post
Thats a tough one. I personally wouldn't risk it. Sounds like a lot of money for a damaged bike. Could end up costing just as much as a brand new leftover by the time you go through it. I can only imagine how much bmw parts are.
I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Like someone already said, "ten grand is ten grand" and I'd have to put a lot of work into the bike before it would even be able to ride the streets :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingbomb View Post
Sounds like a lot if it will have a salvage title.
Personally, I think the bike will probably sit there for awhile, unless someone with lots of cash rolls up and I don't have money like that, lol! got dough but not rich at all
__________________
2007 600RR - Konica Minolta rep (SOLD).....
Fireblade - Soon
Build thread; http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=350770 ....



highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 AM.



Powered by: vBulletin | vBadvanced CMPS & Gallery
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum