Need College Advice. Any Engineers? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Rikuno
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need College Advice. Any Engineers?

Im on my first year in college and basically trying to decide what i want to do =/. I need a high paying job to support my hobbies and to do stupid and fun stuff on a larger scale =P.

I have really narrowed it down to either Economics, Civil/Mechanical Engineering, or Computer Science(programming), due to the high pay and partial interest(well, more than anything else should i say). I'll do anything(except doctor) if the pay is right since i can have fun anywhere and anyplace.

I have gone to advisers, looked up videos, forums, and all the information i have on the internet but cant really find which one really suits my lifestyle best. All i get is people in suits, ties, and grey beards talking to me about how choosing profession "A" will get me into these fancy dinners and be a highly thought member of society in the area and know all the other rich people =/. Obviously, that is not me, not even close, not even in the same galaxy. Lets put it this way, their roll models are Albert Einstein and Charles Darwin, mine are and will always be people like the Superretards and Pimpstars =).

So i am deciding to take a new approach, instead of asking people for advice who i am polar opposites to, i decided to come on here and see if you guys had anything to say, recommend, or enlighten me on. Most of us have the same idea life, fun, and passions, i thought it couldnt hurt =).

Last edited by Rikuno; 12-11-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Rikuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Keep your options open as to what you want to do. For instance, I went to school for construction management. Throughout school, I always figured that I would do something dealing with commercial/industrial construction. I ended up finding an internship with a company that does railroad bridge maintenance... never figured I would do anything with railroads. It turned into a full time job for me and I couldn't be happier.
You have to figure out what general field you want to work in, and then later down the road you can figure out what specialty you want to be in. And remember one thing.... after you graduate, you most likely will be underpaid, and over worked. tough $hit, you just have to deal with it. Eventually you will work your way up to a comfortable salary.

Good luck
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
out of what you listed i would go with civil/ mechanical engineering.... mainly because the other two jobs will keep you locked up in a office building all day every day... I graduated with my electrical degree (with emphasis on computer programming lol) about a year ago and yes the pay is nice (im even getting paid less then the average starting salary and still have lots of finances for toys). but I'm in front of a computer just 90% of the time. Civil or mechanical would allow you to actually get out of the office and do some hands on stuff.

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

c><----- Save the TA-TA's----------c><
sumone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
corsica
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post
out of what you listed i would go with civil/ mechanical engineering.... mainly because the other two jobs will keep you locked up in a office building all day every day... I graduated with my electrical degree (with emphasis on computer programming lol) about a year ago and yes the pay is nice (im even getting paid less then the average starting salary and still have lots of finances for toys). but I'm in front of a computer just 90% of the time. Civil or mechanical would allow you to actually get out of the office and do some hands on stuff.

Currently an electrical engineering student working in the field. I would avoid civil. I am making more money now without a degree than my friends who graduated as civil engineers. That field is to competitive. I say mechanical all the way. Or look into electrical.
corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
sumone
Scooty-Puff Jr. Racer

plus if your mechanical there is always the possibility to get hired on to help design some of our big boy toys! or at the very least you can design your own toys/ parts!

(V) (,,,,) (V)

t(-.- t) [-]

c><----- Save the TA-TA's----------c><
sumone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
MikeyP
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Petroleum Engineering. I have 3 friends that do this and they all make stacks of money. They also have weekends off.
2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Tiger600
Knee Dragger

Mechanical Engineering will allow you to have tons of option when you graduate. I graduated with an ME degree May 2011 and when I started going to job fairs and such the possibilities are endless. All kinds of companies love to hire engineers purely for their way of thinking even if the job has nothing to do with actual engineering. The money and weekends don't suck either.
Tiger600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Fonzzy
Knee Dragger

Do chemical engineering, it'll be a bitch, but well worth it. The crap we go through while taking ChemE curriculum pretty much prepares you for anything you want to do post graduation. Although I would say any engineering degree would be fine, as along as you get good grades, you should be set in your career. Starting salary for ChemE graduates in 2011 averaged 65k, 77k and 92.8k per year for BS, MS and PhD degrees respectively.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
THE BHIZZLER
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Its good to be thinking about your career and what it can do for you. I'm pursuing my electrical engineering degree and business. I hope this helps me work with my counterparts at work and ****, engineers just kick ass in general :fact
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
crash277
Moto GP Racer

become an engineer so you can design the Gruntmaster 6000.. its the same as the gruntmaster 9000 only with less options..

haha.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
crashkhanman
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
IMO you're going about it wrong. These jobs you list tend to make good money but if you're not happy doing it...the job will becoming boring and you will get less motivated to excel and further(train) yourself down the road. Rarely, does someone come out of college making the "BIG" bucks. (yes there are exceptions) Starting salaries for most technical jobs are relatively close. Where you start making the big bucks is by proving yourself in the field/office and becoming an asset to the company.

A college degree just shows employers that you have the commitment to stand behind your work for 4+ years. You're GPA will show how much effort you put into it.

If you want to make yourself marketable...start EARLY on the internships/co-ops programs your college offers or companies in the field you're interested in offer.

That being said... I got my BS in Computer Science, I did 3 internships while in college with big name companies, I'm 4 years into my career, professionally certified (last year), and make very good money for my age/degree. I contribute my early success to: the love of my career(it will not always be a walk in the park) and motivation to always improve.

In terms of the Computer Science field....Security(all aspects: networking, web, databases..etc), HealthCare programming are hot jobs.

'12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ~ Crashed/SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black ~ SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Phoenix TrackOnly ~SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Red/Black ~SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Blue/Silver ~SOLD
crashkhanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Bizzle
Banned

I work as an electrcial engineer, and yes the pay is really good. My starting salary straight out of school is more than people who has had 10+ years of experience in other fields. But if you don't like math, stay away from any engineering fields. Engineering is very rigourous, and plan to lose your enitre social life if go into it.
Stay away from economics, you would not have a job after graduation.
Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
MrNewEngland
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It depends on what you want to do. As someone that's several years out of college I can tell you that work is a huge part of your life and will be for a while, you really need to choose something that you like doing for a major part of your time.

I have a Civil Engineering degree and got my PE a few years ago. I like what I do but I'm certainly not rich. I like that the degree has some variety of things on what you can do with it (although don't kid yourself, with an engineering degree you are somewhat pigeonholed), I like the work, and I like that I have enough field work/site visits to make it not a total desk job.

Seriously though, the older I get the more I realize that as long as you're comfortable there really is more to life than money. Good luck.

2>4
MrNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
HighzerOfLife
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I didnt read though everyones stuff, But I am an economics Major. I would steer away from this major unless you are unsure about what you want to do in life.

If you want a degree but havent figured what field you want to work in Economics is a great major. I had not clue what I wanted to do so it worked well for me. It applys to everything and is a pretty difficult major so it looks good. But on the downside it applys to everything so you dont really have a big paying niche market of job.

let me know if you go the economics route, I can help you out.
HighzerOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Armonster
Pocketbike Racer

Civil and Mechanical engineering are slowly on their way out. The new hotness is electrical or oil & gas engineering. Not saying you can't get a job with the first two, but you're not setting yourself up to get a job as easily as the other two. I personally have an ME degree but went to law school instead of doing the engineering thing.

Another growing field is statistics - we can track stats on just about anything these days, but will always need people to interpret them (or set up the systems for interpreting them).
Armonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
braaap13
Knee Dragger

Mechanical engineer here working in composites. Great job with plenty of hands on work and design work. I feel my pay is low now that i have experience but I love what I do and the company I'm at. Just make sure you are genuinely interested in whatever field you study, otherwise you just spend that college money being miserable.
braaap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
DAMNitzHENRY
Knee Dragger

I've switched majors a few times before finding a major that I liked (accounting/finance). The best advise I can give to a freshman is make a list of majors your considering and take a class in it to see what you like. It'll take maybe one or two semesters, but those class can probably count towards electives and doesn't waste too much of your time in college. Benefit is you will be able to make a better choice in narrowing down what you want to do from your list of majors.
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
mckenz28
Training Wheel Hero

I would def say do some form of engineering. Im in my forth year of college for mechanical engineering. I also have an internship with shure microphones in Chicago. All i can say is no matter what option you take, always stay open minded to other fields. I would have NEVER guessed I would be working with electronics with a mechanical degree but I absolutely love it. Engineering is a well respected field and is usually pretty laid back.
mckenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
CBRoman
Pocketbike Racer

Electrical Engineer here, been working in the field for almost 2 years now since I graduated. Like other people are saying, engineering is a smart career decision, but you really have to enjoy it to get through university. While studying, be prepared to give up your social life, with the exception of about one weekend a month when all the engineers party till they drop.

I don't know how it is where you are, but up here in Canada engineering students have developed a slogan: ERTW. It stands for Engineers Rule The World...... or is it Engineers Rarely Touch Women? I can't remember.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Renegade44
Pocketbike Racer

I'm currently a Mechanical engineering student in my junior year. Like others have said, there are tons of options and opportunities with an engineering degree. That being said, if you do not have an interest in it, it will be 4/5 years of hell. There's a reason engineers are well paid compared to other majors. Engineering requires a lot of time and effort to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence
Renegade44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Engineering is a great choice. You are going to bust your butt in school but it will be worth it. Or you could just try to be awesome like me... went to school for construction management, my business card now says engineer and I am part of my company's engineering group :)

Sent while traveling the world
Old 12-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #22
ckalous422
AMA Supersport Racer

Go on welfare, follow the American dream
Old 12-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #23
Eurodriver
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalous422 View Post
Go on welfare, follow the American dream
This. Working sucks. Live off the hard work of others instead. You're entitled to it.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #24
aogokrazy
Knee Dragger

if you want to make money and lots of it computers is where it is going to be. computers are now in everything and evolving at an unimaginable rate. many issues are coming to light with computers the main being security. I went to a big research university and the IT guy that talked during my cyber security class said "people try to hack them at least 1,000 times a second on a daily basis"

If you want to make big bucks go into computer science, with that you can do anything you want with computers. from programming to security
aogokrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
postgeo10
Pocketbike Racer

Got my BSEE while working in electronics manufacturing and now I'm a Sr. Process Engineer for Motorola with 10 years experience. I'm happy with my pay and work schedule but you should stay as far away from manufacturing as you can!! LOL. Too volatile of an industry and everyone likes to move their factories over to Asia.

I would agree with others here, computers have great potential and job security. If I did my degree over again I would specialize in power engineering or energy especially now that "green" energy is such a big thing. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
crashkhanman
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aogokrazy View Post
if you want to make money and lots of it computers is where it is going to be. computers are now in everything and evolving at an unimaginable rate. many issues are coming to light with computers the main being security. I went to a big research university and the IT guy that talked during my cyber security class said "people try to hack them at least 1,000 times a second on a daily basis"

If you want to make big bucks go into computer science, with that you can do anything you want with computers. from programming to security

'12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ~ Crashed/SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black ~ SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Phoenix TrackOnly ~SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Red/Black ~SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Blue/Silver ~SOLD
crashkhanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement