Icon overlord vs overlord prime? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > Helmets, Leathers, Boots & Gloves

Helmets, Leathers, Boots & Gloves Discuss and ask questions about your gear here

Sponsored by SportbikeTrackGear

Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Icon overlord vs overlord prime?

Buying my first leather jacket with help from the family for Christmas. And after looking at dozens, I know the icon overlord stealth jacket is the one for me! Looks badass and very safe too.

But then I noticed the "Prime" version of the same jacket but for $80 more, it has external molded armor on the elbows, shoulders and back. My questions, does that justify the extra cost? Does it even make a difference if both jackets already have CE armor in those locations anyway? Basically, would I regret getting the basic overlord instead of the overlord prime in a crash?

I'm not a cheap person at all, I know you get what you pay for. I could just use that $80 for the upgraded "Stryker" back protector made for this jacket. Thanks in advance y'all.
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
FightingChance
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You're getting 99% of the protection; the Prime version is a range topper with some extra baubles, but you're not missing something key.
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

I just ordered the prime at a local store for only $380! We both knew retail is $460 but the guy said its his Christmas gift to me. I'm happy as a pig in ****, I already plan on getting the matching overlord pants eventually to zip together into a suit.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
FightingChance
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Nice. ICON wholesale is most likely further away from the MSRP than other brands, so you can often get this 'deal' if you just ask (with all respect to our sponsors.)
FightingChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Jason@STG
Official Platinum Sponsor

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
I just ordered the prime at a local store for only $380! We both knew retail is $460 but the guy said its his Christmas gift to me. I'm happy as a pig in ****, I already plan on getting the matching overlord pants eventually to zip together into a suit.
Call me when you're ready for those pants. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Nice. ICON wholesale is most likely further away from the MSRP than other brands, so you can often get this 'deal' if you just ask (with all respect to our sponsors.)
Agreed, rules are rules. Definitely worth a phone call.
Jason@STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

I just realized there's no chest armor in this jacket...whereas the A* gp plus did (other jacket I considered) Did I just make a vital mistake overlooking that or am I just being paranoid?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
JohnDoubleR
2ndPrettiestPinay

Quote:
I just realized there's no chest armor in this jacket...whereas the A* gp plus did (other jacket I considered) Did I just make a vital mistake overlooking that or am I just being paranoid?
I'd say your being more paranoid to be honest with you. Chest armor is a nice luxury. I havent seen too many guys go down penguin style anyway. I've had an icon and Joe rocket jacket but I feel the need to try a* next.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=316705&page=96
JohnDoubleR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoubleR View Post
I'd say your being more paranoid to be honest with you. Chest armor is a nice luxury. I havent seen too many guys go down penguin style anyway. I've had an icon and Joe rocket jacket but I feel the need to try a* next.

Glad to hear that. Your right, its a high quality jacket they didnt include chest pieces for a reason, maybe thought it is unnecessary for the street which is what i'll be using this jacket for. Next year or two when i'm more experienced I think im gonna get an A* one piece suit for the track.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
RevZilla has it for $380 which looks to be their normal price. Unless you are talking about the Prime which they have for $460
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
RevZilla has it for $380 which looks to be their normal price. Unless you are talking about the Prime which they have for $460
Yes sir, got the prime for $380. Could of got it for $370 at STG lol.

So I decided to look for a separate chest armor piece so I can have my piece of mind. At first I was like "damm, I should of bought the A* jacket for the chest protection" but after looking at the Knox chest piece, it looks a lot better than the two little pieces of foam in the front of the A* jackets lol.

Anyone know of other chest armor? Especially the kind with full rib coverage that kinda wraps around the side. And does it just strap on or only slide under your jacket? Thanks guys!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
AleksV
Pocketbike Racer

I have heard way to many bad reviews about anything icon to ever consider buying their product. Mostly on stuff falling apart in case of a crash. they look like more of a name than anything. Also squids seem to always be attracted to their skulls and fire designs.
AleksV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
m_600_m
Pocketbike Racer

I have the same jacket in orange. I love mine. It fits great 6' 2" at 170lbs I got size large.

The 1 and only thing i dont like it that its not the best in the cold. This jacket has a bunch of air holes which can not be closed. So in the cold you have to put on a long layer under the jacket.

I rode just the other day it was 30deg. I had a shirt, hoodie, and jacket and it was enough to keep decent.

If i had it to do over i would still buy the same jacket i love it.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
m_600_m
Pocketbike Racer

I have had the jacket almost this hole ride season and no problems at all.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
MR2
Training Wheel Hero

So my jacket came in super quick (literally shipped in half a day) It fits perfectly, it's very comfortable, I rode in it today at 40 with a long sleeve under it felt fine. It feels very safe for regular street riding, and I'll probly get the icon Stryker armor vest to wear under it if I'm going for a spirited mountain ride.

Bottom line...this is an amazing jacket that is well worth the original $460, and especially the discounted $380. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the look of it as much as I do.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Jason@STG
Official Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoubleR View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Penguin style.

Quote:
Yes sir, got the prime for $380. Could of got it for $370 at STG lol.

So I decided to look for a separate chest armor piece so I can have my piece of mind. At first I was like "damm, I should of bought the A* jacket for the chest protection" but after looking at the Knox chest piece, it looks a lot better than the two little pieces of foam in the front of the A* jackets lol.

Anyone know of other chest armor? Especially the kind with full rib coverage that kinda wraps around the side. And does it just strap on or only slide under your jacket? Thanks guys!
I'd definitely suggest that original Knox chest guard. That's what we all use here and it's just about the best for the wrap around coverage you're looking for.
Jason@STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
JohnDoubleR
2ndPrettiestPinay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@STG View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Penguin style.

When I went down I went Gangnam Style.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=316705&page=96
JohnDoubleR is online now   Reply With Quote