» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Maintenance

Maintenance Maintenance advice and questions are here

Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
brmoore
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ACF 50 cleaning spray

I've just learnt(or heard really) about ACF 50 cleaning spray, something you can spray in a fine mist all over a bike and it seeps into everything(safe on electrics etc and plastics) and it basically prevents corrosion, get it done once(heard £60 in the UK) a year and it stays on there and means your bike looks mint no matter what you ride through(dirty still but once you clean it a year later it'll be showroom)

so naturally i want to know if this is to good to be true, anyone done/used it??

apparently designed to spray onto aircraft on carriers since at sea you get all the salt which would be kinda stupid to lose millions worth of aircraft so seems like something that could exist but yea, i'm always cautious on too good to be true

I went on a whim and bought a chain cleaner the other day(motrax) and that seemed to turn out alot easier than the tooth brush method I was using...we'll see though on a couple more uses

(also apparently you can buy cans of this stuff but doesn't work as well as a spray gun that turns it into mist, seen a youtube video of some people have turned this into a business and spray peoples bikes at their homes in areas they've set aside)

Ex-Infantry
SA Security(Armed Response, Firearms, AVSEC, Grade B)
Full Car/Bike, Daily Rider(600RR) Daily Driver(BMW 3 Series)
brmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

I have a can of this stuff, kinda oily & holds dirt like crazy, but the dirt fell off come cleaning time. was good for winter with the road salt but reapplication by can was a PITA. maybe professional spray would be better overall
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
AF600RR
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ACF-50 is NOT a cleaner, but a anti-corrosion spray, so the title is a bit misleading!

Also as far as i was aware it is not safe to use on brake discs. i have the can version and spray bits that are prone to seizing/ rusting such as bolts on brake calipers and shock bolts (on my scooter) and blts around the engine and axel nuts.

TBH £60 for someone to spray the bike with this is waste of money, all you need to do is spray certain bits like i mentioned the bolts and also exposed bolts on the engine if you really want to.

The spray itself is great and have been using it for years now and deffinetly recommend it for those that commute or whose bikes are open to the elements , but would never pay £60 for someone to come and do it.
AF600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

definitely a no no on brake discs.

I don't use it much anymore but if I started commuting on mine again I would probably cover the bike in it in winter
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
ash2020
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
acf 50 is good stuff,know quite a few ppl who use it
ash2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Raj24v
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yep ACF50 is very highly regarded, and is a great corrosion inhibitor. I haven't used it though as I don't commute on my RR.
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement