idle rpm stability : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Domia
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
idle rpm stability

after two month and a half since when i stored my bike for the winter, i started it today afternoon to let circulating the fluids inside the engine.
The bike started at the first try but seems to be some difficults to have a clean idle, i saw some white smoke coming out from the exaust but after 5 min it stopped(probably was just a little of condensation) but the bike also after 10mins still have some problem to mantain a fixed rpm value on idle.
is this normal?

I've also discovered that when i increase the rpm the water temp drop down(?!) is the water pump controlled as well by the throttle?
Domia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Domia
Knee Dragger

video, though unfortunately sound isn't pretty good; i can clearly hear the difference in noise when the engine lost some rpm but from here you can see the tachometer that move itself.

Last edited by Domia; 01-16-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
mvisher
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Pretty typical what you've said about the idling, I'm assuming its pretty cold where you are?

But the temp dipping when you rev the bike a little is weird. How many degrees does it drop?
mvisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Domia
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvisher View Post
Pretty typical what you've said about the idling, I'm assuming its pretty cold where you are?
yep, 30F more or less..probably 35F when i started the bike.
Quote:
But the temp dipping when you rev the bike a little is weird. How many degrees does it drop?
from 80 to 70C, maybe the throttle control also the rpm pump? more engine rpm= more pump rpm ?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Domia
Knee Dragger

just to share it, i've done some test and yes, the water pump(at least in my bike) is controlled by the throttle. As soon as you start to increase the engine rpm the pump rpm increase aswell. Maybe this could be usefull to someone.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Ryansgotacbr
Knee Dragger

white smoke was condesation like you said...the water temp i saw the same thing when flushing my system...i think it just has to do with the bike at a stand still and when the valve starts letting the coolant through the engine it has a big impact because the engine was pretty warm and the coolant is still cold. as for the idle my bike does the exact same thing
Ryansgotacbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Braydon
Knee Dragger

Could just be as simple as the idle adjuster on the left side of the bike. I noticed when it gets colder here (30's) I need to adjust my idle to a higher rpm. In between 1250-1750 rooms at idle position. It made for a much more consistent idle. Don't know if that's exactly what you're talking about but that's all I had to do.

Just watched the video and I'm pretty sure this will fix it. I noticed the rpms were kinda bouncy at idle. Just turn your idle adjuster a little bit higher and see what happens.

Last edited by Braydon; 01-29-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Braydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Bridge_Jumper
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,031 Times in 877 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you should only mess with you idle adjuster when the engine is at operating temp. When you first start a cold engine, it always idles higher.... bike, car, pickup, whatever type of vehicle, it always idles higher at start up
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Braydon
Knee Dragger

True dat. ^
Braydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement