OEM fairings vs painting? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
FrankieCarbone
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM fairings vs painting?

ok so i got into a minor accident and it turns out im going to get more than expected from my insurance company. Now the main part that was damaged, was the rear tail fairing. It just so happens that i have a spare rear tail fairing, that has no cracks or nothing, but rash. Now i can either buy a OEM one from the dealership at 450 dollars, or i can just go to a shop and have them professional paint it, the thing is im OCD when it comes to my bike, and how close can u get to it looking exactly like it used to look without going OEM??

i know u can take it to a shop and there take a paint chip of the bike and theyll get the color code and what not, but does that method work for a PERFECT MATCH?

ALso when i asked the dealer about the solo cowl (which was also damaged) he told me that they dont sell it, and that honda never did and these bikes did not come with solo cowls just with seats, i wa suprised i even told him "really? cuz i remember when i bought my 04 gixxer it came with both the seat and the -" he cuts me off and says "this aint suzuki, were to different companies bro"

if that true? cuz the solo cowl on my bike looks pretty OEM to me
FrankieCarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
cbr6racr
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Honda sells a solo cowl. It's an accessory and not a part that comes on a new bike.

I would look on here and on EBAY for a used fairing in good condition and in your color scheme. Paint is harder to match to OEM colors. You can usually find a rear fairing for under $100.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Try having a graffiti...

At leat you can buy matchable parts from Your dealer..

I have a little scar on my tail too and plan on patching and seeing if my paint guy can match it and ill apray it my self..

If not buy a another tail.. If I f up I'm buying a new tail anyways..

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
AnDaLe
Training Wheel Hero

Try and learn to accept imperfections. Your life will be so much less stressful. Plus, scars always have a story...
AnDaLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
mad_man
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I also had to learn to accept scars. Its hard to do, but your wallet will thank you. But as mentioned before try and find a used one. I think you have a greater possibility of it matching that way, than painting one or brand new OEM. The sun dulls paint, and because both might be dulled just a tad, nobody might ever know! GL

2007 600rr-Leo Vince exhaust (7733) | Tripage Integrated Tail Light | Competition Werkes FE | LP Smoked Flusmounts | Vortex Rearsets | DDM Tuning HID's | Kpowersports 40th Anniversary Repsol Fairings | K&N Air filter | Double Bubble Windscreen | Keiti reflective rim tape | EK 520 Chain conversion | Tech Spec "snakeskin" Tank Pads | Wild Bills Red Powdercoated Rims |
2006 600rr- SOLD
mad_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
infinate719

Forget accepting scars....Fix that mess. Your best bet is a nice used fairing and rear cowl. You must keep your eyes peeled because they sell quickly.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
MikeyP
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieCarbone View Post
ok so i got into a minor accident and it turns out im going to get more than expected from my insurance company. Now the main part that was damaged, was the rear tail fairing. It just so happens that i have a spare rear tail fairing, that has no cracks or nothing, but rash. Now i can either buy a OEM one from the dealership at 450 dollars, or i can just go to a shop and have them professional paint it, the thing is im OCD when it comes to my bike, and how close can u get to it looking exactly like it used to look without going OEM??

i know u can take it to a shop and there take a paint chip of the bike and theyll get the color code and what not, but does that method work for a PERFECT MATCH?

ALso when i asked the dealer about the solo cowl (which was also damaged) he told me that they dont sell it, and that honda never did and these bikes did not come with solo cowls just with seats, i wa suprised i even told him "really? cuz i remember when i bought my 04 gixxer it came with both the seat and the -" he cuts me off and says "this aint suzuki, were to different companies bro"

if that true? cuz the solo cowl on my bike looks pretty OEM to me
I would just skip your local dealer and order online. You should be able to get that piece for cheaper.

What year/scheme is your bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Try having a graffiti...

At leat you can buy matchable parts from Your dealer..

I have a little scar on my tail too and plan on patching and seeing if my paint guy can match it and ill apray it my self..

If not buy a another tail.. If I f up I'm buying a new tail anyways..
Not sure how big your scuff is, but there is "Graffiti" NH303M touch-up paint you can order through your dealer. I can't remember what it cost me, $12 I think. One bottle goes a long way. The touch-up has a little more metal flake than the bikes paint, but pretty close.
I'll see if I can find a part#
2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
FrankieCarbone
Knee Dragger

actually got the insurance to cover it, did not realize, but there was some more scuffs on the bottom fairing and most importantly i noticed a problem with the front brakes while riding my bike to my mechanic,turns out one of the rotors got bent so that brought up my estimate $$$ to the point where i will be getting a new rear fairing and solo cowl, new front tire, and i my mechanic hooked me up with a old front right rotor he had laying around from a junked bike, and i will just live with the little scuffs on the bottom fairings since u can barely see them.

But most important thing is i will have a BRAND NEW oem rear fairing set. Now the one i just bought that only has a scuff on it i was thinking of painting it and just having it as a back up, or maybe selling it along with my corbin seat which im getting rid off once i get my bike back from the shop

MikeyP

if u can hook me up with that part number i;d appretiated, my color scheme is the 2005 silver
FrankieCarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement