Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

0-60 in 3 seconds?

30K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  RothmansRR 
#1 ·
I been reading up on this forum that some ppl get 0-60 in 3-4 seconds and....well...how the flying fuk? The bikes must not be stock as far as performance is concerned.

I guess what Im asking is:

1) Can a stock CBR 600 do that in 3-4 seconds?
2) Is this done all in 1st gear?
3) When is a good time to shift to 2nd to maintain/increase the speed

I recently hit 600 miles on my bike and had it serviced so I can now go a little crazy on it. I been trying to work on my fast acceleration and just cant seem to hit that mark or anywhere near it. My fastest clock was at 6-7seconds.

I know you cant just open the throttle right away, while stopped on 1st gear, you have to gradually open it until the bike starts moving and then you can jerk the throttle all the way. It seems that im wasting a good 1-2 seconds getting the bike to take off before applying full throttle.

Any advice to fix this riding error? Much appreciated :)

See less See more
#2 ·
1st gear for sure, i haven't timed myself but have read on here that people with stock get like u mentioned around what u mentioned... am sure others will give you more info

#3 ·
#4 ·
Got close to redline in 1st this morning, looked down and was close to 70mph. Definitely didn't take 6-7 sec. Didn't time it, but definitely didn't take as long to get to 60mph as my M3, which can do 5 sec 0-60 all day.

Reactions: dixon cider
#7 ·
Honda states the 07/08 factory is 3.2 sec 0-60 but those are so wide and like MPG sometimes perfect conditions and sometimes realistic...

I've been told its possible but takes a good rider to hit the 3 sec mark with a perfec launch..

As for the first gear IIRC my first gear either got me to 45/50 MPH before redline.. So I'm assuming its 90% first and a jump into second..

Then I think I can go 50 to 120 in second.

And to get a great launch you'll probably need a strip with grip good fresh tires and learn to rev start.. But I'm sure its quicker than 5 to 6 sec off the line I've beat BMWs with 3 to 4 sec launch times no problem..

#29 ·
Honda states the 07/08 factory is 3.2 sec 0-60 but those are so wide and like MPG sometimes perfect conditions and sometimes realistic...

As for the first gear IIRC my first gear either got me to 45/50 MPH before redline.. So I'm assuming its 90% first and a jump into second..

Then I think I can go 50 to 120 in second
On my bike a 2008 graffiti with completely stock gearing, I pull 70 in first, 105 in second, 120 in third, 137 in fourth, 151 in fifth, and the highest I've been in sixth has been 160.

#11 ·
Thank you dynasty for the very informative and helpful comment. You are the main reason why ppl come into forums with help, expecting some advice and not only get a response but a great compliment! I can picture your life now...back to the topic

Instead of just letting the clutch out, you gradually release it. If you were doing 7k and then just dropped it you are going to flip your bike. Its the same principle as doing it in a car...not sure if that helps lol. But basically you let it out until it starts to pull then slowly let it out the rest of the way.
So what you are saying is when I start off I dont let the clutch out completely (keep it half way) and once I reach 7k rpm let the clutch out slowly?

Thank you for the post.

#10 ·
Instead of just letting the clutch out, you gradually release it. If you were doing 7k and then just dropped it you are going to flip your bike. Its the same principle as doing it in a car...not sure if that helps lol. But basically you let it out until it starts to pull then slowly let it out the rest of the way.

#12 ·
OP you not knowin or understanding a hard launch makes me believe you shouldn't be concerned with this as of yet.. You still have A LOT to learn of the basics.. Let alone hard full launches...

Grab a riding/racing book and twist of the wrist and possibly a track day ticket. then start from there.

#13 ·
This is my 1st time on a sport bike yes...but to advance and learn I think I have to try new things instead of just driving the same way to work and back. This is a small issue but I'm more interested in it than having problems, I will eventually teach myself but what good is a forum with a lot of knowledgable riders if they don't share their experience and intelligence? I will setup a training course on track day next year, that is my next goal.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here but you are making me sound like I'm charging for some advice. If you feel like helping me out, cool...if not then you don't have to post off topic things. I understand I have a lot to learn but getting negative feedback isn't helping me reach my goal. I guess what sets us apart is that I always look to advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
We're just trying to keep you alive and yes you should try new things but your going from just crawling to asking how to Olympic sprint literally.. We're not feeding your question because its almost stupid for us to explain to a newer rider how to hard launch fresh out the gate for street use.. There is no justified reason to need to hard launch on the street..

We're just being realistic with you not trying to give negative feedback. And you won't be using a hard launch at a track day.. You have roling starts and come out of the pits.. There is no grid like racing. I know your not going to take any of this advice but your looking way too far ahead too quick. So I've said my peace and take it for what it is.. Good luck with your riding.

#17 ·
We're just trying to keep you alive and yes you should try new things but your going from just crawling to asking how to Olympic sprint literally.. We're not feeding your question because its almost stupid for us to explain to a newer rider how to hard launch fresh out the gate for street use.. There is no justified reason to need to hard launch on the street..
I appreciate everything you are saying and I understand. I been on bikes for about a year, I should make it clear that this is my 1st 600 bike. I read 1 too many horror stories from this forum to be out there riding recklessly. I been driving really carefully for a good year to understand the basics of a motorcycle and I think its time to expand my knowldege.

lol, Im not saying ima go out right now and hard launch out of my parking lot into the streets, but to know how it actually works and try it out on an empty street will be interesting and fun (I think).

IF your not clear on slipping the clutch get out there and try it. the way i do it is rev up to a steady RPM (7k) and began to let the clutch out and when you start moving slowly add more throttle while still releasing the clutch till you can completely let it out and you should be at WOT. it'll take time and practice so be patient and try not to loop it. and i try not to let the RPM drop below where i started. hope this helps
Wow, so thats what it means. That makes complete sense to me now, thank you for sharing man.

#16 ·
IF your not clear on slipping the clutch get out there and try it. the way i do it is rev up to a steady RPM (7k) and began to let the clutch out and when you start moving slowly add more throttle while still releasing the clutch till you can completely let it out and you should be at WOT. it'll take time and practice so be patient and try not to loop it. and i try not to let the RPM drop below where i started. hope this helps

#19 ·
early this spring i was playing at a local raceway before our local club,mcra, was running this seasons track days. i was launching at 12k cutting .8 60' times with a 10.9 @ 142 on my 03. sub 4sec 0-60 is very doable. ill tell u a launch on a bike is crazy, its like being shot out of a cannon. i grew up on dirtbikes so holeshots just start slow dont go out and rev for the moon. launch at 4k then say 6k so on and so forth. be smooth on the clutch and throttle.

#20 ·
3) When is a good time to shift to 2nd to maintain/increase the speed
7K seems to be the sweet spot for my bike, any quick change around 7/7.5K = no jerking (which is good if you have a passenger as you won't keep knocking helmets together) plus it sounds good at 7k+ :cruising:

Also if you are trying to move up through the gears quickly, I find that when moving up into third and beyond, you can no clutch it smoothly if you are around the >7K <9K mark.

Doing so has its time and place, but I kind of worry about what it does to the gearbox so I always try and add a little clutch to every shift when on the street.

#23 ·
once you get better at riding in general you can do 0-60 at those times easily without even thinking about it

0-60 is in first gear anyway so just get used to revving it higher

start doing track days you can learn how to use as much of the bikes performance and power as you are capable of and it's 100% more fun than the street

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#25 ·
CK_32; said:
As for the first gear IIRC my first gear either got me to 45/50 MPH before redline.. So I'm assuming its 90% first and a jump into second.
If you are hitting redline at 45/50 in first gear you need to take your bike to the shop, not sure how so many people have missed this bit of information.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
You should be able to hit about 72 mph in first gear (at least indicated on an 03+). I've gone 0-60 in under 3 seconds with my 1991 cbr 600 4 years ago with nothing but a 3 up rear sprocket on my third try. It had more bottom end torque than a 600rr, but first gear wasn't as long. If you can't even achieve 3.2 or under on a 600rr, you are either a fat mother or just aren't very good at launching. It's not the bike, it's the rider.....

#33 ·
Dude, you hold the clutch in at the point just before the bike starts to move forward, just before. You rev to 7K (maybe 4 and work your way up) and then you release clutch slightly to get the bike moving. The second you feel it's past the 'stall zone' release the clutch gradually but quickly and simultaneously increase the throttle until you feel it is safe to pin it.

#34 · (Edited)
Strong bump, but I came across this for looking at the best times people have managed on the 600RR, not that this bike was designed for the purpose of 0 - 60mph times but it's nevertheless an interesting benchmark.

I'm surprised at some of the ignorance surrounding the bikes that people ride. Do some of you not know what your vehicles are capable of? Can the bike do 60mph+ in first gear? No ****.

We use the new money here, and I've seen mine hit 127km/h in first with stock gearing which amounts to over 79mph. My best (timed) I've done from 0 - 60mph has been 3.0s and I'm in no way shape or form an experienced rider. I'm also certain I've done it in less than 3 seconds before. All stock, not even a slip-on.

The best I've seen online with a stock '04 was 2.7s.

The maximums I've tested personally for each gear were:

1st: 127km/h (79mph)
2nd: 173km/h (108mph)
3rd: 210km/h (131mph)
4th: 235km/h (147mph)
5th: 265km/h (165mph)

6th: Not tested, but judging by onboard videos -> around 285km/h (178mph)

Hope this helps someone interested. The hardest thing about setting good times is the clutch feel. It's easy enough doing 3.0s - 3.2s, but under 3 seconds is hard as you really cook the clutch and if you get it wrong, the 'feel' isn't as good until it cools down again.

If you're having trouble even breaking into the 3 second range, then I'm afraid to say, any of the 600cc class is not for you, go get some experience on something lower.

If you want to break into the 2 second range, you really need to be launching somewhere in the powerband. I usually hold at around 7k, and just before I take off I hit around 10k before I start slipping the clutch. You will need to get used to the front lifting, but watch out, if you mishandle the clutch you will perform an excellent backflip.

#35 ·
Not 0 to 60. But rickey gadson took a stock 600cc and did a 9 sec quater mile.. pretty neat to see what these bikes are capable of that was a 03 r6 btw..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.