Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Do you Roll with Nitrogen or Oxygen ????

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  yellowrider 
#1 ·

I think most are aware of the benefits of Nitrogen vs. normal air in car tires.
And we're seeing more and more cars and trucks with Nitrogen in their tires off the showroom floors. More Stable, less heat expansion, more consistent Pressures, and less Oxidation on the inside .
All the Nascar teams around us say they use Nitrogen in their tires. Plus we have always put it in the tires on our cars the past several years

Does anyone here use Nitrogen in their motorcycle tires? Street or Race bikes?
As it seems you don't have to mess with the tire pressures as much with Nitrogen.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
i ride 100% street and i use oxygen...while the bike is warming up i ALWAYS check my chain, tires, and tire pressure. by the time thats done and i put the gloves and helmet on. she ready to rock and roll

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Air.. I remember some place some where showing the benefits of nitrogen and hydrogen and all the tricks over air and are so slight of differences they said its almost a waste if time and many have their downsides people just don't talk about

But in NASCAR that 1oz of difference and 1 dagree of temp could mean first and last place so it makes more sense but for everyday use its a waste of time

#7 ·

We have experienced First hand that Nitrogen Definitely, keeps Tire Pressures, more stable. With plain air, the tires go up 6-8 psi at least when they get warm.

With Nitro, they only go up 1-2 psi, and you only have to add air about 1/5 th as often as you do with Normal Air. As Nitro doesn't leak out as fast (Larger Molecules)

Everything else is indeed... nonsense though.

#8 ·
The 2% otherstuff is what should actually matter. Nitrogen and oxygen should expand at the same rate with heat. Moisture would be the large variable as far as variable pressure increases with temp.

I understand the bit about nitorgen leaking out of tires slower but I check and change my pressures enough on my bike where it is just a waste of money.

#12 ·
I'm using Helium to make my tires lighter.

I'm kidding of course. Regular air compressed to 32/38 psi fr/rr.

#13 ·
If you have a compressor with an air dryer on it, it should be virtually the same as pure nitrogen. what is happening, is when the tires heat up, the condensed moisture in air is evaporating into a gas phase. Therefore, taking up more volume and increasing the pressure of the tire. If you use atmospheric air and pure nitrogen both without any moisture, you will have almost identical coefficients of thermal expansion.

TLDR: the only reason air fluctuates more than pure nitrogen is largely due to moisture.

#14 · (Edited)
it really is basically a gimmick, the only time nitrogen would truly benefit anyone is on the racetrack, on the streets its not worth paying money to have something special filled in your tires that you would NEVER notice unless you are actually performing controlled tests to calculate the differences....the average person would never notice it where it matters

its really just another way for companies to make a quick buck, and frankly its quite annoying having to constantly explain to our customers the differences and the reasons why nascar uses it

which btw, little FF, nascar also uses it for their impact guns, reduces moisture and lowers failure rates as well as keeping stable consistent power, no need to torque the wheels when you have the guns set to a specific and consistent power level

#16 · (Edited)
yes i have a change in tire psi of 5+psi w/air... so i air them 5psi low.

check them 1x/week and not a big deal...

and the bicycle pump ($20) + psi guage ($20) + air (free) + labor (worthless)=$40

(problem under control!).

and i am set for years.

i love being self sufficient....rather than worried about the next CG supplier visit.

#17 · (Edited)
I actually think Nitrogen Oxide is the best option, we all know how awesome it is in the engine, just imagine your tires inflated with them as well?

Unless you are a track fanatic trying to shave off tenths of seconds from your lap times then I don't see the worth of the investment in nitrogen over air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.