Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Winter

6K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  brmoore 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone retired their bike yet? I've never done it before but thinking of putting my bike in the garage this winter...so it'll be getting those things...trains :cursin:

Went 100miles on saturday but my bike got covered in loads of salt etc so cleaned all that off and just sat there thinking, if i have to do this everyday i'm gonna go mental trying to keep my shiny 08 RR...shiny:crackup:

shame just got oxford eyeshot nano indicators(you do need the resister to keep normal flash, but it comes with it so that's ok ive wired them to the stock leads so they'll just be plug and play but not happy with how small the washers are so might pick up some larger ones they really are small though, top to bottom they're smaller than 1 pence coin and just fitted the asv clutch lever

as not finished fitting the indicators still got the whole back end off lol...

#8 · (Edited)
I know in SA coldest winter i had growing up was 16C....it's currently -2 here in my part of the UK, not very funny

some good news though! I just did an insurance quote and as my birthday was a couple days ago, they've suddenly gone down so much a fireblade costs the same to insure as my current policy was to start for a 600rr! haha boom....thats a sign a fireblade may be on the horizon for summer :spank:

:wave:

Yep.. Mines away for the winter and was last year too. I don't rely on it for commuting so always aim to keep it super clean.
Yea I need a pay rise...and a car licence then maybe someday a cheap car can come out for winter that costs nothing to insure as it's so **** but will do and then i can fudge off trains for good and skate that on the ice and keep my bike lovely :)

..but that means turning more towards a stupid summer biker...oo a bit of drizzle better not take the bike out, i'd hate for that to be me, if i wait for just lovely sun i'll never ride here

#13 ·
Mine has gone on a little holiday, while she's away she will be having a complete make over... Two Akrapovic cans, tail tidy, seat cowl and a rip to Nottingham (Dream Machine) for a complete paint change. Once back it will receive a bit of flash tuning but won't be ridden till March now at the earliest....

p.s the cat will also be removed in exchange for a y-pipe...

#14 ·
Mines been in the rents garage for a week, but thats because I have whiplash :drunk:

It will be back out as soon as im fit.....looking forward too it :D

I just keep the chain lubed as best I can and plod along. I don even have a hose pipe or garage at home lol.

NB.. if you get the evotech TT, you will need too drill it or get adapters for the nanos. If you want a used one pre modified drop me a pm ;)

//ps .. I went MC Live on Saturday....was pretty cool.... getting a test drive on a harley booked lol

#15 · (Edited)
yea i'm already going to go look for bigger washers as it's only the foam bit holding them on so the current washer etc kind of gets sucked in when you tighten it, i also don't have any way to solder the wires so they're just kind of twisted together, just been washing up all the tail thing and number plate of all the grease spun up off the chain

cleaned the wheels gonna wash all over the chain etc and relube it, and possibly buy a petrol can to get the bike filled to the brim(with premium unleaded as always haha) so there's no space for moistured(or salty) air to get in the tank

not sure if I'll do an oil change as the bikes near the 16k service anyway and they usually do it...im at like 15.7k miles lol

Mine has gone on a little holiday, while she's away she will be having a complete make over... Two Akrapovic cans, tail tidy, seat cowl and a rip to Nottingham (Dream Machine) for a complete paint change. Once back it will receive a bit of flash tuning but won't be ridden till March now at the earliest....

p.s the cat will also be removed in exchange for a y-pipe...
March...thats ages away not sure if I can last that long lol soon as its averaging above 1C overnight i'm back out

Damn!!! Thats one hell of a drop. Awesome.
well its a bit funny...the site im using says so...but when i do the quote via the insurers website it's still sh1te quotes...so i went to the next highest which is only a little more and their website did confirm it...so i think when it comes to it i'll take that better quote and dangle it in front of my insurers and say beat it then :)

#16 ·
Dont fill too the brim! There is a vapour tube to the charcoal cannister I think, you will fill parts with fuel that you shouldnt lol...unless you mean just normally fill it up the the bottom of the metal cage/indicator, thats cool.

GO too maplin or ebay for a solder starter kit...you will only need a 15/20W to solder those wires....plus get some heat shrink tubing.

Ditch those horrible resistors though, either modify your current relay, or buy a special relay to stop the fast flash.....much cleaner install.

How many pins does your indicator relay have.....if itś two pin, Iĺl send you a modified relay for postage only.....if its 4 pin you can but one for about £4...pm me if you need a link.

#20 ·
Dont fill too the brim! There is a vapour tube to the charcoal cannister I think, you will fill parts with fuel that you shouldnt lol...unless you mean just normally fill it up the the bottom of the metal cage/indicator, thats cool..
Not sure what you mean by charcoal, I don't mean overfill, it'd just pour out lol, there's an overflow tube at the top that runs down to the ground so you can't overfil it anyway, unless you've taken that off your bike?

GO too maplin or ebay for a solder starter kit...you will only need a 15/20W to solder those wires....plus get some heat shrink tubing.

Ditch those horrible resistors though, either modify your current relay, or buy a special relay to stop the fast flash.....much cleaner install.

How many pins does your indicator relay have.....if itś two pin, Iĺl send you a modified relay for postage only.....if its 4 pin you can but one for about £4...pm me if you need a link.
Nice can get a 30W one for like £4.50 haha and solder metal for like £2 more than i need, i'll wait till further in the week as i just made a big payment and reckon ive got fudge all left and might order one

whats the shrink wrap rubber stuff called though?

as for the resisters, they do click in nicely, i'll solder over them as well but they're not too bad all the wiring will get tucked away anyway

#17 ·
mine is hibernating now, I've had a $hit riding year as you know.

bike is in the garage, on stands & covered. filled the tank, cleaned & lubed the chain/sprockets. will do an oil change in the spring.

got a few small mods to concentrate on over the winter just to keep me occupied while my gf wrecks my head with criminal profiling theories & tactics and strategies for studying criminal activities

I DON'T KNOW WTF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT WOMAN!!!!

#22 ·
Charcoal / EVAP cannister...called lots of other things as well...I dont know the honda terminology. There shouldnt be a pipe that leads directly out as far as Im aware.

Before you twist and solder slip some of this over the wire:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/black-adh...ixing_MJ&var=550134637585&hash=item3a74a3219a

when soldered, slip it over the join and heat it with a lighter. It will create a water tight and very durable over the solder, preventing corrosion and water ingress, and making sure the connection is reliable. 100% better than insulation tape.

Seriously, the resistors use/waste power you dont need too.....mean more solder joints (less reliability), take up space and get warm.....they are rubbish, and the only purpose they serve is too fool the stock relay into not thinking a light has blown as the LEDs use a LOT less power. Id never fit them too a bike. Id mod the current relay or just fit one of these, and chuck the resistors in the bin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Mot...14?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e7277709a

or if you have a 2 pin relay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCL...38?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35b48b48ea

Installing the relay also takes seconds once the seat is off, plug and play.....quicker than soldering those totally unnecessary resistors in.

#27 ·
Charcoal / EVAP cannister...called lots of other things as well...I dont know the honda terminology. There shouldnt be a pipe that leads directly out as far as Im aware.

Before you twist and solder slip some of this over the wire:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/black-adh...ixing_MJ&var=550134637585&hash=item3a74a3219a

when soldered, slip it over the join and heat it with a lighter. It will create a water tight and very durable over the solder, preventing corrosion and water ingress, and making sure the connection is reliable. 100% better than insulation tape.

Seriously, the resistors use/waste power you dont need too.....mean more solder joints (less reliability), take up space and get warm.....they are rubbish, and the only purpose they serve is too fool the stock relay into not thinking a light has blown as the LEDs use a LOT less power. Id never fit them too a bike. Id mod the current relay or just fit one of these, and chuck the resistors in the bin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Mot...14?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e7277709a

or if you have a 2 pin relay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCL...38?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35b48b48ea

Installing the relay also takes seconds once the seat is off, plug and play.....quicker than soldering those totally unnecessary resistors in.
i dont get where that connects though...a resister has to have two connections? the leads off the indicator have to go to the resister like is currently doing but then they have to come off the resister again to connect to the indicator wiring to the bike yet that pic looks like it only connects to one side

Mine has been put away for about a month already. On the stands, covered. I didn't clean or lube the chain/sprockets because I'm planning on changing those this winter when I change my tires since the rear wheel will already be off the bike.... March can't come soon enough
:O you should be cleaning and lubing the chain for normal use nvm winter!

#24 ·
i agree with kritip about getting an aftermarket relay for the led,s,i used to have the resistors and they do get ridiculously hot and are a real pain,so much better to unplug stock relay and plug another one in

#26 ·
Mine has been put away for about a month already. On the stands, covered. I didn't clean or lube the chain/sprockets because I'm planning on changing those this winter when I change my tires since the rear wheel will already be off the bike.... March can't come soon enough

#29 ·
That is a relay and npt a resistor...two entirely different components.

Install your indicators, and wire the output of the 1W box fitted too the nanos directly to the indicator plug on the engige loom (blue and orange connectors?). 4 wires connect to 4 wires......you just dont run the resistors inline.

You can then test the indicators and they will run at double speed as the relay thiks a bulb has blown.

now remove seat, you will see the relay (black box thing)..unplug it...plug in new one, and test indicators....normal speed without the installed resistors. :shakehand

#36 ·
I'm still confused, for the normal flash rate on the indicators all im reading is we cant use the relay on the euro ones or possibly something to do with us having hazards, or not having running lights or something or other, anyone have particular resisters they recommend?

#37 ·
can't help you with resistors cos those f**kers never worked for me, I just wired in two normal bulbs inline with either side to draw out the current. bulbs are taped & tucked away in the tail & indys flash at normal rate.

bit hillbilly but it works if you're stuck

#48 · (Edited)
I found a relay thing shaped exactly like oem(take out old one and use this one), just ordered it today so I've hooked up the indicators(they're soldered...but then 'hillbilly' taped LOL didnt have electrical tape but I'm sure brown box tape will work fine, i hope

anyway that'll mean it will flash fast for now till i replace that bit(was £16.20 on ebay including shipping) let's hope it works

what annoys me is doing all this and then later on when im not so poor i'll be taking everything all off again to do more like the tail tidy, spent ages attaching indicators to stock one knowing they're gonna go on an evotech in the future, but can't do much about that at the minute, don't have the cash to buy everything i want at the same time and i don't want the bike in the garage forever...just cleaned the whole chain again due to boredom and no money to go do anything, and the trains to work suck, some idiot crashed into a bridge or something and i couldnt get home friday, took me an extra hour to catch trains to other stations the wrong way and come all the back on a different line and its chock full since everyone else had the same problem

so far don't have any cash to buy the gf a christmas present either, life sucks atm! haha(that wasnt sarcasm, she got me the knox handroids, which were also only just broken in when the ice came and the bike was garaged!)

#39 ·
yes u can use the relay...please dont install resistors and def dont install bulbs tucked away :retard:it may work but as you say...proper ghetto.

just buy the relay that fits ur bike and dont install resistors it really is THAT easy..honestly! Its the simplist and cleanest way to do it!

#40 ·
def dont install bulbs tucked away :retard:it may work but as you say...proper ghetto
while I respect that everyone's opinion is different, don't call me a retard just because my idea doesn't match yours. I installed bulbs because it was the quickest & cheapest option for me at the time & to date I've had no issues & so no reason to buy a relay, especially with the mixed reviews I've heard about them.

brmoore rides his bike everyday, I suggested a way that WILL work & its simple, IF HE WAS STUCK.

"ghetto"? yes of course. retarded? no, I've seen it done countless times, maybe you haven't but that gives you no right to call me a retard, you don't know me

good day to you

#41 ·
Its a little man pulling a funny face. Sure the emoticon is labelled retard, but this is an American site where the context and meaning is not the same as in the UK,. Its just a silly little picture used in jest...there were plenty of others I could have used :bootyshak :ciao: :crackup: :gun1::fyou:

Didn't mean to offend, bowing out of this thread now, do what you like :argue::salute:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.