Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Helmet for shorter rider?

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  tucsondude 
#1 ·
My little bro just bought ninja 250 and wants a helmet for christmas. But he's about 5'4'' and doesn't want a helmet that will make him look like a bobblehead doll. Which brand makes small size helmets that look somewhat proportional to shorter riders? Any input will be great help, thanks everybody.

#2 ·
tell that skinny bitch to hit the gym, or the buffet.

its not a bobble head because your short, its because you have girl shoulders. shoulder pads help...:drunk:

Is his head actaully small or an extra small? sorry I do not know what brands have a shell specificly for small.

#3 ·
i'm 5'6" and pretty average shoulders i ride w/ a med shoei rf1100 hadron and used to use an hjc medium. the hjc was a bit big but the shoei suits me well

#4 ·
The number one thing is that the helmet fits. Period.

A number of manufactures will change their shell size every 2nd size or so. For example, XS/S will have the same size shell but different size eps and liner. Same with M/L, XL/XXL,... you get the picture.

Long story short, if he's got a small head, he'll get the smallest shell. If not, then he's probably out of luck.

Measure his head and take him into the shop to try on as many helmets as possible. F*** ordering a helmet online.

#6 ·
I ordered mine online, first helmet i ever bought, Josh Van @ STG was so very knowledgeable that he helped pick the PRECISE helmet i needed. He insisted i go with M when i originally ordered L. due to the padding breaking in after use, and now its perfect.. all you can do is measure your melon and check the size chart.

#5 ·
Arai Outer Shell dimensions are decent for your purpose. Shark (Specially the Vision R) will be good if he wants to go for the Darth Vader look. Both good helmets IMHO, just on opposite sides of the outer dimension scaling spectrum.

#7 ·
Helmets don't go proportional to body vs head. Helmets match what ever your head size is, and which ever helmet gives you the best fit. I personally have a big round head so i use the RF-1100 XL and that is comfortable for me. Trying on the Icons, Arai, etc it just didn't fit my head shape.

And like other users stated, if your brother is worried about looking like a bobblehead, go to the gym and work out.

#12 ·
Vertical stripes only. Horizontal ones have the opposite effect.

Another option would be to get a helmet with transparent sides....

I'm 5'3'' and I've never even thought about this. He needs to get a helmet that fits. Look at what companies have smaller shell sizes as others have suggested.

#14 ·
I say get a shoei. Because they have 5 shell sizes which will fit his head well without looking too big. Like my hjc was a med but the shell was a large/med so it was actually bigger then needed.
Yeah thinking both mine are generic large/med shells while I need a small/med!

Don't care, it does fit me, but I do acknowledge how silly it looks at the same time.

For those saying hit the gym, been the same weight since high school, am fit, just have that awesome metabolism keeping the beefcake away and preventing muscle desired.

#19 ·
It's somewhat inevitable really, for smaller riders. Just tell him to worry about fit and function, as others have said. Especially since he's learning (I'm assuming, since he bought a 250), appearance is the last thing that he should be thinking about.

I'm 5'4" and the Bell Star isn't too bad. I'd say to avoid Icon altogether though, that will definitely present a bobblehead appearance.

#22 ·
I'm 5'8" 145lb and look just fine with my AGV Grid. To all of u macho dudes saying to lift some weights, my bro has a heart condition since birth which limits him to do any vigorous exercise. So hitting the gym is out of question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.