Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Paint Swing Arm black?

43K views 128 replies 51 participants last post by  skygear 
#1 · (Edited)
Paint/Powder Coat Swing Arm black?

Alright so I'm "blacking out" my 03. I'm keeping the fairings red, but I'd like to make parts that are silver, black. (within reason of course) ie pegs, levers, boot gaurds. The most important thing for me though is the swing arm. How could I make it black? Would powder coating be okay? Other ideas? Thanks :)

#13 ·
Don't forget shipping costs. It would be cheaper to have it done locally I'm sure. When I dropped mine off they matched it almost perfectly to my frame. I'm not saying Tristans work isn't top notch, I'm just saying it would most likely be cheaper and faster to have it done locally because of shipping.

#15 ·
My friend did that to his grill too I think. I was wondering what it was and it matches the description. I think I'm gonna try this out with the pegs and levers and see how it holds up. I can't imagine it would survive the wear of the pegs, but at least the peg mounts. And it seems easy enough to remove. Thanks

#16 ·
I just plasti-dip my swing arm about a month ago, not bad for a $6 can. It's really easy, the masking if most time consuming but I like the option that if I ever wanted back to stock I can peel it off. I'll put some pics as soon as I get home from my PC.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#17 ·
Don't paint it it will chip way bad. Get powder coat way worth the money. I painted my and now I'm powder coating it and it's costing me more now because the have to sand blast more because the paint and primer. Just do it the right way first and powder coat. I'm powder coating my frame and swingarm I think I'm going a black crome or a gun metal Like the charcoal grey.

#21 ·
Not sure where you are getting powder coat done but they make you clean the parts? what you tape off will just melt in the oven so that won't work either.

Send parts to a powder coater that knows what needs to be done to motorcycle parts and all you have to do is box up your parts and ship them. We take care of the rest.

#22 ·
Definitely considering plasti-dipping the underside fairings now too. Originally I was just going to order black ones instead of paint mine black. Because all my fairings are stock and perfect. This would save a lot of cash, but I'm a little worried it'll take off the honda decal off because its not underneath a clear coat. Any thoughts?

#28 ·
I know this, you had to pay for that as well? The powder coater should have just let you shoot the part and put it in the oven and offered you a job is what I am getting at. You did all the work involved.

#33 ·
Thanks Guys, honestly I did to see how it would look before I saved cash for the real deal but it has held up great. I pressure wash it and it's still good, it turns it into rubber. I also like that if it ever peels a little all I have to do is spray that section and you're done, it's a lot stronger than you think. I did about 5-6 coats and I honestly tried to cut a little bubble of Air I got because I was trying to dry it up quicker with a heat gun ( don't do this) and it wouldn't cut a slit ... To sum it up let it dry on its own just like the instructions say and it'll look very nice and I first tried it on an old fairing and it peel off great without damaging my decals but you should always try a small section.

#35 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. Its really cheap, so why not? And if it holds up (which it does sound like it) I can put the cash towards something else. By far the number one thing for me is that its removable.

Thanks Guys, honestly I did to see how it would look before I saved cash for the real deal but it has held up great. I pressure wash it and it's still good, it turns it into rubber. I also like that if it ever peels a little all I have to do is spray that section and you're done, it's a lot stronger than you think.

#34 · (Edited)
Why must something so simple be so absolutely badass? Next weekends project for sure, plasti-dip the swing arm, bottom fairings, shifter, clutch and brake levers and the peg mounts. Someday I'll get to the forks, but tearing apart one side of my bike is enough for a weekend haha.

I love cheap mods

#36 ·
Yeap@ iKonic

The other thing I did was to take off the heat shields of the Mid-pipe and bought 3 cans of VHT Header paint
1- VHT high temp Primer 2000*
1- VHT Flat Black High temp 2000*
1- VHT Clear high temp 2000*
I painted them in that order and finished with a couple of flat black coats on top of the clear because it was too glossy, turned out pretty good and with the cash I've saved I bought an RK - Gold chain and very nice flat gold and black teeth rear sprocket & a front sprocket too. I'll put up the pics when I get done.

#40 ·
I bought ASV C5 Shortys (Which are black), Vortex Rearsets (Also Black), but I NEED to do the swingarm!

#41 ·
One more thing I did was buy a Dewalt Hacksaw $26.00 and cut my Leo Vince exhaust about 6-7 inches so now it's under the tail and it's a bit louder too. I called Leo Vince offices and purchased new logos for $7 shipped ( 4- logos ) and bought a rivet tool for $17 and put those baby's on.

"Loud Pipes saves Lives". ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.