Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

surprises at 80mph corners

10K views 64 replies 27 participants last post by  James_ 
#1 ·
So 5 days into riding and i am picking up confidence quite quick..however i am beginning to worry about overdoing it and crashing myself to death. So where and how can you practice dealing with that surprise sand pile on moderate-high speed bends?

I know trackdays aren't really a good choice because acting wierdly halfway through track corners is a no-no with other experienced riders on your tail.

There is a well-lit 3 mile backroad leading to a dead-end nearby that i've use to practice 80-90 mph cornering (i think 130 is possible but ...one step at a time :) ). Road is generally bent to one side with sub-bends so generally you can always see oncoming traffic ~1 mile down the road.

So what kind of maneuvers can i do to prepare myself for cornering surprises (bringing up bike and hard brakes in such situtations didn't work good for me..ended up off-road twice)

#38 ·
couldnt really see very much of your video apart from some streetlights and one car

#42 ·
Yeah man scooters don't count. Why is it that a lot of newbs want to GO FAST and push their limits as if they were racing in the Isle of Man .... Why can't u just enjoy the awesomeness that is your 600rr and enjoy the ride. Even then going speed limit. There will always be surprises that can happen

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

#43 ·
video removed by user??? or maybe i just copied the vid link wrong??

anyway don't matter. op, take it from me (or not i don't care)...i've never done a track-day and been riding my rr for the end of a 3rd season.. and there's still corners i go through that i KNOW can be taken faster. but i choose not to, not only do i not know what's changed in that corner in the lsat week, but what if there is a cop just around it? then i'm f*d. its not worth the extra risk to me anyway. be safe, and don't become a statistic raising the rest of our insurance premiums

#44 ·
there's still corners i go through that i KNOW can be taken faster. but i choose not to, not only do i not know what's changed in that corner in the lsat week, but what if there is a cop just around it? then i'm f*d. its not worth the extra risk to me anyway. be safe, and don't become a statistic raising the rest of our insurance premiums

i am not trying to get to the limit yet...if i do i'll try and be at a track..i am just curious as to what to expect when swerving at 70+ mph..my balls haven't grown that far yet...as for that road... it leads to a ferry i stroll down it cruising checking for burst tires, rubbish, sand, etc. and then speed back down the road.. its wide..no trees..no nothing to hit ...30 ft of beach on either sides..lamp posts on the inside of the turns... visibility ~ 1+ mile ahead..i slow down for any suspicious car.. that turn is pretty much a straight did 120ish the other day just 10degrees banking..the video is on that channel sameh90 called 'irrelevant'
'

#45 ·
at 70mph you're travelling roughly 105 feet per second. now take into account the thinking/reaction time when you spot a hazard, roughly 0.75 seconds. that means that by the time you react to the hazard by braking/standing the bike up/swerving/whatever, you will have already travelled 78 feet.

at 120 mph your travelling at 180 feet per second, giving you a thinking distance of 135 feet BEFORE you've even started doing something about it.

now on a road like this one it shouldn't matter too much since, as you say, you can see over a mile ahead, giving you lots of time to recognise & plan for any potential hazard.

however, if you meet a hazard in the middle of a blind corner at 70mph, depending on the distance from the object you actually are when you spot it, you're either going to (1) panic, hit the brake & probably lose the front & crash. (2) try to swerve round it by standing the bike up fast, shifting weight, countersteering & getting the bike going the opposite way, which will probably take you into the lane of oncoming traffic. or (3) hit the object. (yes there will be other ways to deal with things, but since your new to riding, these are the most likely)

how to avoid this is by getting out in the real world, away from this road your "practicing" on & actually learning whats important. I'll give you examples: proper positioning within your lane to give you the best possible view round any corner. proper use of brakes & gears for efficient cornering. maintain a safe following distance to the vehicles in front. judging road/traffic/weather conditions before opening up to higher speeds.

I'm not going into detail with these because I don't believe you'd be that interested. but I will explain further if you want.

#46 ·
however, if you meet a hazard in the middle of a blind corner at 70mph, depending on the distance from the object you actually are when you spot it, you're either going to (1) panic, hit the brake & probably lose the front & crash. (2) try to swerve round it by standing the bike up fast, shifting weight, countersteering & getting the bike going the opposite way, which will probably take you into the lane of oncoming traffic. or (3) hit the object. (yes there will be other ways to deal with things, but since your new to riding, these are the most likely)
First ..I feel honored to have the honor of thanking you from the deepest reaches of my not-so-tank-busted balls for the most usefull and least critical/condescending answer i've got so far. :shakehand :hats off man:

2nd i kinda see now that nothing good can come from speeding around corners on public roads..maybe someday i can confidently speed-corner around/over potholes/wet patches/sand piles/banana skins ..wtvr. but never will i always have time or space to react to accident scenes / traffic jams ..etvr. which are quite common around where i live. Heck i am can't see myself ever trusting the public with my life..i normally just take the rightmost lane and cruise or take the left shoulder and go slightly over the speedlimit..can't stand them tailgators.

how to avoid this is by getting out in the real world, away from this road your "practicing" on & actually learning whats important. I'll give you examples: proper positioning within your lane to give you the best possible view round any corner. proper use of brakes & gears for efficient cornering. maintain a safe following distance to the vehicles in front. judging road/traffic/weather conditions before opening up to higher speeds.
I don't go to that road just to speed back and forth..thats just for the occasional rush..what i mostly do is practice narrowing down and speeding up my figure of eight and u-turn..pile some sand or find a wet patch and experiment with straight line braking/accelerating or slightly banked cruising..some rev matching..lock rear/front few times and end it with some failed wheelie/stoppie attempts...:cruising:

I'm not going into detail with these because I don't believe you'd be that interested. but I will explain further if you want.
as to your advice if its basically MSF stuff no thanks and if its twist of the wrist II stuff i've seen it all and i know i'm not quite there yet...if you have tips for the following please do share it:

-parking lot speeds during full lock banked turns..i feel kinda crippled mostly during right hand turns and a bit with lefties..i know its a bit of the handlebar positions fault (i only have this problem with my cbr) but i'm not sure about risers in terms of looks and tucked in position / aero mode. I kinda learned that during lefties holding the bar from a more vertical position gives you slightly more control on throttle but .. still feels much harder than it should be especially with the clutch..any ideas?

- 1st or 2nd for the above situation?

- shifting body position during braking..i just seem to keep pushing on those bars...

any help would be great

#56 ·
:+1: looks that way,

although I find that being able to do a nice tight figure of eight has got me out of all kinds of bad situations :retard:

sometimes it's good to go back to basics, but since OP is so super cool awesome I guess he can't be seen to practice at anything less than 100+, cos the cool kids don't do that $hit yo!

I'm done :banghead:

#62 ·
1st Mistake:thumbup:

#65 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.