Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

is anyone thinking of getting a liter bike?

16K views 108 replies 55 participants last post by  07RR guy 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a 1000rr or 1198s or 1199(heard about glitches and some crankcases blowing up (Carlos Checa tested one and blew) :|) but the Ducati grunt!!!!! But I really like the 1000rr 09 or 12' models.

I've been looking in the 1000r.net forums and dammmm!!!
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95272

what would you get?

#44 ·
I want a litter of cola, me thirsty.

#46 ·
How do you harness all the power of a liter bike on the streets? I can see people getting one for track duties, but seems a little overkill for the streets. I'm perfectly happy with my 600. May be one day an S1000RR would be in my garage, but it would be there for look more than anything else.

#47 · (Edited)
Have ridden the zx10r, s1000rr and rc8r recently. The Kim is a great motor on the street. Friend has one and it draws a crowd. Since my bike is my daily driver I would be concerned that since its so limited parts might be harder to come by. Maybe I am wrong. Also it's pricey and not sure how resale would be if I needed to sell it. Hard to beat Honda. Don't see many ducs getting built for Isle of Man and that 7500 mile valve service isn't quick to do therefore pricey. I also drawn to new 636 and Daytona 675R.

#48 ·
I myself have never wanted a liter bike. Yes I've owned two buells but they don't really fall into the liter bike category. I'm 6'1" 190 lbs with out gear and I've never been able to out ride my 600 bikes. And I've only ever had a hand full of liter bikes out run me on the track. So I will never consider trading up to a 1000cc bike. No need for a big bike.

#50 ·
It's not always about who can outrun who on what bike.

Riding a literbike on the track is fun. Since most of us aren't getting paid to be on the track having fun is important.

I agree that most of us will be faster around a track on a 600. But I do enjoy twisting the throttle on a literbike on the straights.

#49 ·
hey if its of any value.....i had a 2010 zx-10r. that thing was a BEAST. i went back to a 600rr because of the fact it was waayy to much bike for the street. if you want a litre bike i would consider getting one of those. quite honestly the only way i would ride one of those again is if i stretch it and race it in the quarter mile. honestly take it from me....third gear, hundred miles an hour you can still pull that front wheel up. found that out by mistake

#52 · (Edited)
I don't think it is bad looking.

Hell, the 675R got a **** ton uglier. At least Honda didn't go that direction.
Not a litre bike, but a 675R maybe. The 11-12 model. So sexy and so fun.
DynastySS, I seen that you couldn't make up your mind about the 675R, lol!!!!!!

But I personally think the 675R looks like crap compared to the any 600rr model/ year.

And I've read on a number of forums of dudes who used to ride 600rr (still do) and some who have never looked back (RSV4, DUCATI, BMW, 1000RR forums).

#58 ·
The real question is why do you think you need a liter bike. The 600 is plenty fast and great mobility. Unless you are bothered at track days by the liter bikes passing you on the straights, then don't get a liter bike. Insurance is more. You go over 100 in streets without even noticing it and get tickets.

#59 ·
Mad Matt, that is one sick R1. Do let us know how it rides.

I guess for those of us who have never ridden a 1000, we have to try it out to make an informed decision. I can't decide yet since I have only ridden my RR. I look forward to owning a 1000 someday, but don't know if I will end up keeping it or not. You probably cant go wrong with the Blade. The ZX-10R I hear handles very well and isnt heavy at all compared to other liter bikes. So many great options out there.

#60 ·
Thanks mate, i love her even though ive only put 100 miles on since buying it...

The R1 isn't the best litre bike out there, its probably the slowest and heaviest but for me it looks far better than all the others. The under tail pipes are a must and from the front it looks like an evil alien type of insect... I could have got any litre bike but the R1 is what i wanted..

Currently im having some upgrades on it and have only had the bike in my possession for a week the rest of the time its been spent at the dealers.

Ive not mentioned this before but it was stolen the last time i rode it. I took it out for a last spin before putting her to be, i was out for an hour then pulled up outside my house. I went inside to take my helmet and gloves off and to unlock my back gate, all this took about a minuet but when i went back outside the bike was gone.

To cut a long story short 3 youngish guy's had pushed it away, myself and a friend found it 2 hours later stashed in a small woods on a park. There was damage, they had forced it between two concrete bollards causing damage to both side fairings and the had pulled on the ignition wires. I sent it back to the dealers and they told me the ignition aerial was fvcked so that had to be replaced with the fairings....

I decided last week that as it was winter here now i would have other work carried out. Two new Akra cans, tail tidy, rear cowl, cat removal, and now she has arrived in Nottingham for a complete new paint job. Ive always loved the yellow swan colours below is a picture of what it will look like when done. Sadly i wont get it back till February but i wouldn't of been riding until March at the earliest anyway...

Attachments

#61 ·
No interest in a liter bike. I'm more the other way. My favorite bike was my NSR250/MC21 (60hp, under 300lbs). Could wring that thing's neck and rail it. Makes our 600RR's almost feel lardy. The 600's have started to hone in on the balance & flickability of the 250's like the 1000's have started to approach 600's weight & handling territory but not totally. To me it's all about the bike's sweet spot. Where it likes to live in the revs vs speed of the roads. For public roads and canyon carving the 600's almost perfect. To me it' doesn't start to hit that sweet spot till you're doing about 65-70mph and is singing between there and 100. Below and above that and there are better tools for the job. In the tight twisties where turns are between 15-40mph the 600RR is a decent compromise. You can't really wring it's neck but it'll do it effortlessly, like Michael Phelps in a backyard swimming pool. Liter bikes never really hit their sweet spot on the street. Maybe some guys will like to find a spot to bust over 120 on a free piece of highway but the 1k's are just starting to stretch their legs before you run out of open road. On the street it's like using a chainsaw to trim rose bushes. You could do it but, unnecessary unless you just like making a lot of noise. I understand people wanting the torque and midrange for the street like someone mentioned above but to me that's basically saying they want a liter bike for stop lights. I'll agree with one of the opinions above that said a Vtwin sport bike is perfect for the street. Has more of the low end you'll use more often than the top end you'll barely touch in a meaningful way.

#63 ·
1000 is an emotional purchase. 600 makes logically more sense, for commuting that is, but then i could argue the same for a 250 vs 600.

buddy used to commute to work on a 125, and he got to work every time , except for the day he highsided his shoulder into oblivion.

but your question wasnt about that, so ill shut up

This post has been deleted
#66 ·
I started on a 2000 F4i, then it was stolen and I bought an 05 1000rr. Totalled that one after 2 years and bought my 07 600rr. The 1000 had a ton of power which was awesome..and it wasnt that much heavier than my 600 but it sure did feel alot heavier. Personally, I have more fun on the 600 and it feels more "flickable". But I guess it's a matter of preference. It's not like the 1000rr didnt handle well, I just felt more comfortable on the 600rr.
Plus tires and oil changes are cheaper on a 600.

#72 ·
I test rode a 2012 R1 at the ocean city bike fest and it was pretty crazy, pulled throughout the entire rpm range and had more than enough power. It kind of sounded like a V8 muscle car in a way. But the thing was heavy(for me)'and taking off it had this terible vibration. It only had like 2000 miles on it. I don't know if it was supposed to be like that or someone messed it up but i like my 600 better. Smooth as glass through the wholebrpm range and still more power than i need.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Motorcycle.com Free App

#76 ·
The 2012 R1 is definitely far to heavy, over the last few years its been packing on the lbs but with the right mods that weight soon drops off...

That vibration when taking off is normal for most litre bikes and again with a few tweaks on the ecu it can be eliminated...

Do you remember what mode you had it in?? Mine is still on standard mode for now as thats more than enough, A mode is scary fast...

#73 ·
I currently own an 08 1000rr. It's a great bike but I'm going back to the 600. I think the liter bikes are great but I have no need for it. I like the handling of the 600 much better. It's better suited for the riding I do.

#77 ·
I'm actually debating on getting me a cb1000r sometime soon, love the naked look of them and for riding around town I think I would like the more upright seating and handle bars. That's the only liter I'm thinking of doing.

Gorgeous bike...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.