Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Headlights Not Working On 2003

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  reide181 
#1 ·
I just bought a used 2003 CBR600RR with 11,xxx miles and the headlights aren't working, I tried searching here and all the headlight issues seem different than mine. Hopefully someone will be able to help. Here's the deal:

-Replaced the fuse and the low and high beam work fine while the bike is off

-Went for a ride and look down on my cluster noticed that my high beam blue light was out, fuse popped again....

-Bike starts, rides fine, everything else works

-All other fuses are fine

The bike has flush mounts the the previous owner installed. They work perfect but could the wiring be causing the fuse to pop? Also has an eliminator kit, could this be causing the fuse to pop? I know that the signals and tail light aren't on the same fuse as the headlight but could there still be a short somewhere causing the headlights to go out?

My battery stays charged and I'm assuming charges fine, so it can't be the regulator correct?

Thanks guys, I'm new to CBRs and need help so I can get this fixed :)

See less See more
G
#5 ·
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. You could use a volt meter to track it down or simply start disconnecting each light and see if it isolates itself. I would go back and take a hard look at your wiring harness to make sure there are no cuts, frays, or the wires possibly rubbing against something.

#6 ·
I'll start by unplugging the lights and trying each.

If it makes a difference, my eye light works and the dash lights work fine. When I turn the key the blue high beam light comes on then turns off.

I did not wire the running lights (stripped wire) to my Rizoma turn signals, instead capped it and taped it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
Yes. There's a short somewhere. What was the last time you installed anything electrical? Sounds like it was your turn signals. My friend had an aftermarket turn signals installed and it shorted his brake lights and clusters. Start with something simple that you know works! Undo what you did and test each component individually.

#9 ·
Ok so update. After unplugging all the turn signals and the tail light then trying JUST the headlights, the fuse still popped. So I'm assuming I narrowed it down to just the headlight circuit.

infinate719 is currently working with me to try and resolve this issue. Special thanks to him!

I took the fairings off and inspected all the harnesses around the gas tank. All seem to be fine, no corrosion and all are firmly plugged in and secured. The harnesses and fuses directly behind the battery are also fine.

Could my relays be bad? I'm not to sure how they work but if one goes bad would it cause my fuse to pop?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.